Longer shank Jigheads

TAZ

Hi all. Im wondering if anyone knows if there are longer shanked hook jigheads? Sometimes I want to use a larger plastic but the same weight jighead. This brings the hook end closer to the front of the lure naturally. But often the fish hit the back end of the lure so you just get tail hits and no hook ups. Are there any longer shank versions that anybody knows of? 

Not sure but you can get smaller weighed jigheads in larger hook sizes.

As in 3/8 oz in 6/0 etc.

In saying that I do have a few fish head shaped weighed jigheads that are long shanked but not sure how heavy they are & cant even remember where I got them from but they aren't a traditional sort of jigheads.

I will have a look for them tomorrow. 

• Like 1

There are long shank jigheads but probably not the length you require, plus keep in mind the longer the hook shank, the harder to rig your plastic nice and straight.

From what you're describing, possibly a stinger hook could be the answer. If you're not sure what I mean, google stinger hooks in soft plastics and have a browse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Not sure but you can get smaller weighed jigheads in larger hook sizes.

As in 3/8 oz in 6/0 etc.

In saying that I do have a few fish head shaped weighed jigheads that are long shanked but not sure how heavy they are & cant even remember where I got them from but they aren't a traditional sort of jigheads.

I will have a look for them tomorrow. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

There are long shank jigheads but probably not the length you require, plus keep in mind the longer the hook shank, the harder to rig your plastic nice and straight.

From what you're describing, possibly a stinger hook could be the answer. If you're not sure what I mean, google stinger hooks in soft plastics and have a browse.

Hi, yeah have tried the stingers but was really wanting just a longer single. May have to look into making my own somehow. 

Eel jigheads might have a bit longer shank.

Angler shop in Sydney CBD had recenty some kind of TT? jigheads rigs with thick wire heavy duty long stingers

Also, may be, consider worm jig hooks with weights.

15 hours ago, TAZ said:

Thanks.

Hi, yeah have tried the stingers but was really wanting just a longer single. May have to look into making my own somehow. 

Perhaps if you used the plastics that have the slit in the belly you could actually gang a hook off the jighead hook. If you ran a worm style hook at the back the shank could lay under the lure and have just the bend of the hook through the plastic.

Wouldn't be too hard to rig straight I imagine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Perhaps if you used the plastics that have the slit in the belly you could actually gang a hook off the jighead hook. If you ran a worm style hook at the back the shank could lay under the lure and have just the bend of the hook through the plastic.

Wouldn't be too hard to rig straight I imagine.

Thanks for the ideas. Im thinking of these. You can take the hook off and put anything you like on it. So I find the hook I want to fit the plastic and use that. Not sure about how well the plastic would stay put just by that knuckle section and hook eye but will get some and try. There are quite a number of long shank jigs in the US, just not here. Freight costs though are ridiculous. One place wanted to charge $40 US. Others would not ship here. Im all googled out. Spent hours searching for them 

images (3).jpg

Edited by TAZ
  • Like 1

A dab of superglue on the shank should hold them in place. If it doesn't you can clamp a small split shot to the hook and slide the plastic up over it.

I know what you're saying about buying from US. I just had a reel delivered on Friday that was purchased from Michigan. The postage and import costs were almost the same as the reel's price. The reel is recently discontinued in Australia and overall the cost was about the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

A dab of superglue on the shank should hold them in place. If it doesn't you can clamp a small split shot to the hook and slide the plastic up over it.

I know what you're saying about buying from US. I just had a reel delivered on Friday that was purchased from Michigan. The postage and import costs were almost the same as the reel's price. The reel is recently discontinued in Australia and overall the cost was about the same.

Good idea mate the bit of split shot, with a dab of the glue. 👍. There used to be several years ago an Aussie jig rig that you pushed a needle type thin wire through (part of the kit) then fed a length of the kit wire through then a hook was attached, trebble type but just 2 barbs. Your weight naturally was up front. I exhausted all searches for it and cannot recall its name so maybe it no longer exists. I remember the info on it though saying how great it was for short strikes. But anyway I reckon that TT head will do the trick with a hook of choice, the split shot and glue. They have an incredible choice of gear in the states dont they. Wish we had that same choice here. Good luck catching something on the new reel mate. 

Edited by TAZ

I remember that wire setup you're talking about but like you, can't remember what it was called.

That hit me with a lightbulb moment. Bream guys use surface plastics in a style called pink grubbing. Most rig their plastic on a worm hook and short strikes are common. To get around the problem I rig like in the pic attached. Just thread the leader through the plastic with a large needle, tie onto a treble or  in my case a double hook and slide the shank back into the lure. The hooks run points down acting kind of like a keel and help the lure track straight.

Don't see why it wouldn't work on larger lures.

20140924-Pink Grub.jpg

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TAZ said:

Thanks for the ideas. Im thinking of these. You can take the hook off and put anything you like on it. So I find the hook I want to fit the plastic and use that. Not sure about how well the plastic would stay put just by that knuckle section and hook eye but will get some and try. There are quite a number of long shank jigs in the US, just not here. Freight costs though are ridiculous. One place wanted to charge $40 US. Others would not ship here. Im all googled out. Spent hours searching for them 

images (3).jpg

That's a TT Snakelockz Finesse jighead. They sell them in Australia and RRP for $9.95

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, BuckWild said:

That's a TT Snakelockz Finesse jighead. They sell them in Australia and RRP for $9.95

Yeah, cheers, I reckon they'll do the job. Should be near a a shop or a shop next week so plan to grab some.