Is this something to be concerned about? Surface corrosion??

The Rev

I p[osted yesterday about Tohatsu motors.  As I think about making a purchase (I am leaning towards a Suzuki for a few reasons), i was giving the boat a clean and noticed this.  Is this something to be concerned about RE Surface corrosion / pitting?

Any thoughts from those with knowledge would be helpful 🙂 

3BA2CEAC-9B0C-48CA-A216-5B110551F89A.jpeg

Alloy gets a patina when it's raw. Same as a cast iron pan. Stops it from corroding. Biggest problem with aluminium is electrolysis. So always turn your battery off when not using the boat. 

If it looks bad up close give it a going with a wire brush or water blaster and see what's under. 

Looks like the boat has not gotten wash downs much. Or cleaned. 

I have a raw alloy boat and I take everything out and water blast it 2 - 3 times a year. Does wonders. 

1 hour ago, recurve said:

Alloy gets a patina when it's raw. Same as a cast iron pan. Stops it from corroding. Biggest problem with aluminium is electrolysis. So always turn your battery off when not using the boat. 

If it looks bad up close give it a going with a wire brush or water blaster and see what's under. 

Looks like the boat has not gotten wash downs much. Or cleaned. 

I have a raw alloy boat and I take everything out and water blast it 2 - 3 times a year. Does wonders. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I wash down post every trip - but perhaps need to do a bit more.  What do you use for water blasting?

• 1 year later...

The most damaging electrolysis usually occurs under the floor if sinkers, swivels coins etc get dropped.   I always lift floor and remove floatation once a year so I can thoroughly clean out.  It's amazing how much dirt and bits of line congregates under there but it's a pain to do with a big tinny like mine.  Ron