Recommendations for new rod/reel? (7ft 2pc, 4-8kg)

Berrero

Hey Raiders,

Looking for a new rod and reel setup. My hopes are 7ft 2pc 4-8kg with a series 3000 or 4000 reel, looking to use around 20lb braid and mono leader. Was planning to just walk into my local tackle shop and asking what they recommend, had an off thought to ask here in case someone could make a solid recommendation. Budget is between $400-600. 

Thanks for your time

What are you targetting, what method and what platform (beach,rocks,boat etc...)

REEL: Daiwa BG 3000 (the "biggest" of the series before the next jump in weight - I.e. 3500 & 4000) is always a solid choice - not fully sealed, which might be worth pursuing since you have the budget. Having said that, I use a number of BGs on the boat, they get splashed plenty and are always sprayed over at the end with some INOX on the outside, no sign of water intrusion or decrease in smoothness.

ROD: I'll defer to others here - really depends on your application. I will say that a range of 4-8kg feels a little odd on a 7ft personally - I'd either want a 4-6kg or 6-8kg. I do, however, use a Shimano raider snapper 7'2 5-8kg for a lot of fishing and it's great. 

Obviously save some cash for good quality line (j-braid) and leader (I'd prob lean to fluorocarbon if there is no particular reason why you need mono).

All the above is for boat fishing, mainly working SPs and metals, occassion bait fishing cubed pillies.

1 hour ago, anthman said:

What are you targetting, what method and what platform (beach,rocks,boat etc...)

REEL: Daiwa BG 3000 (the "biggest" of the series before the next jump in weight - I.e. 3500 & 4000) is always a solid choice - not fully sealed, which might be worth pursuing since you have the budget. Having said that, I use a number of BGs on the boat, they get splashed plenty and are always sprayed over at the end with some INOX on the outside, no sign of water intrusion or decrease in smoothness.

ROD: I'll defer to others here - really depends on your application. I will say that a range of 4-8kg feels a little odd on a 7ft personally - I'd either want a 4-6kg or 6-8kg. I do, however, use a Shimano raider snapper 7'2 5-8kg for a lot of fishing and it's great. 

Obviously save some cash for good quality line (j-braid) and leader (I'd prob lean to fluorocarbon if there is no particular reason why you need mono).

All the above is for boat fishing, mainly working SPs and metals, occassion bait fishing cubed pillies.

Thanks for your very informative post.

I'm looking to take it to Hamilton island later in the year and just fish there / surrounding islands. Looking to do pretty much everything with it, soft plastics, stick baits, poppers etc. Occasional bait fishing. I already own a decent 2-4kg setup but will need something a but heavier as an option.

I made a post a week or two ago asking what weight of gear should look to get and was suggested the above. The 4-8kg may have just been a weight range rather than a rod model. I'd probably lean towards the 6-8kg at this stage.

I actually own a bg 3000 and also agree they are a great reel! I was considering buying another one already but didnt know how they compared to others for the application.  

As for line etc I always use the top quality stuff. I feel like that's one of the areas where it's money well spent. As for the mono comment, you are right, I use the fc rock for my leaders. Jbraid for main line.

Thanks again for your recommendations so far :)

I reckon you'd be chasing bigger fish so maybe 6-8kg is the way to go - assuming 15lb braid mainline you could still get away with light jig heads for lighter fishing.

As a general purpose setup, the suggestions above would cover most situations, but like most things, how you play a big fish, the terrain you have to deal with etc... will most likely dictate whether you land the fish. I.e. big gt in the shallows over rocky terrain with the above setup prob not gonna be landed with anything less than a dedicated popping rod and big reel (ala Morningtide setups - 30lb rods and 8000 saltiga).

Overall, of rather lighter than heavier because it's just more fun to use over long sessions. Maybe it's a 6-8kg + 3000 setup, AND a popping rod 7'6 pe4-6 and 6000/8000 size reel (BG again?). That way you have general purpose fishing covered plus big tropical fish setup. I reckon you do all two rods + a big bg (since you already have a 3000) for just over $400.

• Like 1

For a rod... the Abu Garcia veritas has a 6-8kg model, my better half has one and it's a great stick... for a reel if you eant to save a few $$$ the "13" creed k 3000 is not overly expensive and a great reel for tye price I've had one for nearly 2 years and it still goes fine after a lot of punishment 

Mate, have a look at Dinga Fishing, one of our sponsors. He has heaps of gear at the right price, and delivers Australia wide. Tell him you are a Raider and you will get another 5% off the purchase price.

I have a combo that is a 4000 stradic CI4 on a Crucis Travel Rod 7'11" four piece. 4-7kg that could do everything that you have said and fit the budget including line. If you go towards the higher end of your budget you could get a second spool off shimano and put a different braid, or half braid/half mono or mono straight through. Then you could run a 10 lb braid spool (longer casting distance with lighter weights) and 20lb braid spool off the same outfit. This essentially gives you two outfits for the space of one when travelling. It should come with it's own rod bag and tube but you can make them easy out of PVC or just use the bag. Mine fits diagonally in my big suitcase (just)

I used to run 20lb braid and now run 16lb I have another 20lb outfit on a heavier rod. I fish it as a snapper rod or light rod for kings. It will easily cast a range of weights and has balls to fight fish, easy bottom bash (bait) 4oz leads if you need to. Like all rods that are slightly cheaper, just make sure you wash the guides properly so prevent corrosion. 

I think there are two models of these rods around that have different guides so make sure you get the ones you want.

15 hours ago, anthman said:

I reckon you'd be chasing bigger fish so maybe 6-8kg is the way to go - assuming 15lb braid mainline you could still get away with light jig heads for lighter fishing.

As a general purpose setup, the suggestions above would cover most situations, but like most things, how you play a big fish, the terrain you have to deal with etc... will most likely dictate whether you land the fish. I.e. big gt in the shallows over rocky terrain with the above setup prob not gonna be landed with anything less than a dedicated popping rod and big reel (ala Morningtide setups - 30lb rods and 8000 saltiga).

Overall, of rather lighter than heavier because it's just more fun to use over long sessions. Maybe it's a 6-8kg + 3000 setup, AND a popping rod 7'6 pe4-6 and 6000/8000 size reel (BG again?). That way you have general purpose fishing covered plus big tropical fish setup. I reckon you do all two rods + a big bg (since you already have a 3000) for just over $400.

Thanks for your suggestions. Not really chasing any monsters/LBG fishing, only going to be throwing sticks / poppers up to 95mm so nothing too huge. Just want something that will hold up if I get the chance to target something bigger. Last thing I want is to rock up undergeared and miss out on some larger fish.

It's my dream to land a GT while I'm there but only aiming for a baby, nothing over 40cm lol 😂😂😂

13 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

I have a combo that is a 4000 stradic CI4 on a Crucis Travel Rod 7'11" four piece. 4-7kg that could do everything that you have said and fit the budget including line. If you go towards the higher end of your budget you could get a second spool off shimano and put a different braid, or half braid/half mono or mono straight through. Then you could run a 10 lb braid spool (longer casting distance with lighter weights) and 20lb braid spool off the same outfit. This essentially gives you two outfits for the space of one when travelling. It should come with it's own rod bag and tube but you can make them easy out of PVC or just use the bag. Mine fits diagonally in my big suitcase (just)

I used to run 20lb braid and now run 16lb I have another 20lb outfit on a heavier rod. I fish it as a snapper rod or light rod for kings. It will easily cast a range of weights and has balls to fight fish, easy bottom bash (bait) 4oz leads if you need to. Like all rods that are slightly cheaper, just make sure you wash the guides properly so prevent corrosion. 

I think there are two models of these rods around that have different guides so make sure you get the ones you want.

Having a spool swap out is something I hadn't considered. Would you say the 4lb difference between lines is noticeable? I also own two ci4 reels (1000 & 2500) and they are also really good. Although I do love my BG reel if I can fit it in my budget I may grab another ci4 just for the seals in case she goes for a dunk.

If I would add one little bit to this thread it's this. Id only buy a rod these days that before I do I can physically pick up and hold to check all the guides are properly aligned together as well as aligned with the reel seat. And that the blank was straight and either made on the backbone or very close to. I've seen a lot of crapily built rods out there and some not cheap either. You can actually find cheaper rods well built. You just have to go through several in the shop and compare them.

Have you considered something like an uglystik?? something around the weight and dimensions your after>>  Ugly Stick Dinga

then pair it up with a decent reel that you can change spools between your 10 and 20lb line options if you want to do that or just go with a Penn Slammer III 3500 or another Daiwa BG, i personally would be looking at the slammer due to higher drag rating, but upto you. 

This combo of the ugly stik and the penn slammer is in your price range totals about $440, leaving $100 odd dollars for more lures etc. 

3 hours ago, Berrero said:

Having a spool swap out is something I hadn't considered. Would you say the 4lb difference between lines is noticeable? I also own two ci4 reels (1000 & 2500) and they are also really good. Although I do love my BG reel if I can fit it in my budget I may grab another ci4 just for the seals in case she goes for a dunk.

I would not have two spools 4lb apart for the same reel in this case.  It's just circumstance that i have two outfits close together. I use the outfit for snapper fishing mainly, often in 60m of water over gravel. So i went down a bit in line just to if it would help sink rate of plastics etc.  plus i don't really need 20lb of stopping power in that situation.

I would run 20lb braid and 10lb or 12lb braid if i had two spools for the one reel for your application. I do have a second spool for that reel now, i just haven't put line on it yet. 

It obviously depends what braid you are talking about too. I use Sunline Momentum 4X4 pretty much from 10-20lb on these reels (2500-4000) (It's not as buoyant as other braids, better for plastics and squidding). It's out of production now and i' m converting to J-Braid 8-strand.

They usually rate rods on lure weight not lure length!

Seeing as you have a BG3000 how about a SALTIST-X 70M, this rod is probably more suited to the BG4000 though & would be a good combo imo.

I recently got a SALTIST-X 762H & combined it with the BG4000 with 30lb J X8 braid, as a heavyish outfit. nice rods & reel combo though for $259 delivered!

Pretty much got the reel & braid free in the deal from one of my favourite stores which I cant name 🤐

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

They usually rate rods on lure weight not lure length!

Seeing as you have a BG3000 how about a SALTIST-X 70M, this rod is probably more suited to the BG4000 though & would be a good combo imo.

I recently got a SALTIST-X 762H & combined it with the BG4000 with 30lb J X8 braid, as a heavyish outfit. nice rods & reel combo though for $259 delivered!

Pretty much got the reel & braid free in the deal from one of my favourite stores which I cant name 🤐

The saltist range looks like a pretty solid choice. You'd assume it would go nicely with a daiwa reel :)

Only mentioned lure length as someone had mentioned the morningtide boys earlier and wanted to make sure people didn't assume I was throwing around 170mm stick baits or something huge 😛 

Hi Berrero,

Almost sounds like you are looking at two different outfits here. I think the 7 to 7.5 foot rod length is an excellent option for a lot of all round work. Graphite I think is important if you are working lures in that the stiffness of the rod gives you a good feel and excellent response. I think the casting weight is more important to consider. Most of my fishing in Sydney is done with a 2-4kg Shimano Raider Bream Finesse (7 foot 6 inches 2 piece with Shimano 1500 reel 4lb line and 3-12 lure weight) and a 5-8kg Shimano Raider Snapper (7 foot 6 inches 2 piece with Shimano Stradic (spoiled myself) 4000 reel 15lb line and 15-45 lure weight). While fishing off the rocks last year I realised while I could hook and fight the kings on the Snapper rod landing them off the rocks was the challenge so I added a 3rd outfit to the mix. A PE3/5 Dawia Saltist Hyper 72MH (7 foot and Daiwa BG5000 reel 50lb YFK braid and 60-120g lure weight).

The Shimano Snapper is still a fantastic outfit for medium fishing but the Saltist Hyper allows me to fish a little harder. I've used the Hyper for offshore jigging and found it worked quite well. The braid being so slim it allows me to work lures pretty well. In your case either outfit should work but I'd lean towards the Snapper unless you think you will feel undergunned. Consider the weight of the lure you want to bang out there. A lot of the rods in the snapper range are 30 to 35g on the upper end.

Both heavier outfits will fall under the $600 budget.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

9 hours ago, TAZ said:

either made on the backbone or very close to

Hey Taz, can you explain what you mean by this? I have noticed sometimes when i pick up a rod in the shop and look through the guides, they arn't aligned straight! how frustrating, would hate to receive one of those in the mail if i bought it online.

38 minutes ago, Kevin1 said:

Hey Taz, can you explain what you mean by this? I have noticed sometimes when i pick up a rod in the shop and look through the guides, they arn't aligned straight! how frustrating, would hate to receive one of those in the mail if i bought it online.

Hi mate. So here is my fishing history. Im 56 and fished from the age 5 with my now gone father. I've never been one to spend a wage packet on one bit of gear, but was taught to by my dad to shop wise. I have not got 1 rod that cost more than $120 in my kit. I have some finesse trout gear as well as some that I would back to pull in 200ld toothies. One did no issues. And yeah, I know I'm not in the league of the big bruiser fishos, but I know that what I go for, my gear is good. So my rods. The first thing I go for is in line guides, second is not badly angled guides leaning left or right. Next is that they are lined up straight in line with the reel seat. Backbone, I do this. Best on a solid surface like lino, wood, concrete, just solid. Place the rod bottom, butt, against your shoe (shop for rods then wear boots or solid hard soles) now next, hold the rod near the reel seat within your index finger and thumb in a kind of ring circle shape. Grab the tip or near the tip with your other hands index/thumb. Now gently pull directly away from the butt. If it twists like a corkscrew reject it. Especially if its a 2 peice. Under load extended fight the top will work loose and scew from the base. Now, you may not always get one perfect on that backbone. There can be a couple of spots that it doesn't scew/twist bad that is almost negligible. I would accept those if I could not get a perfect one. As long as the guides were in line and the reel seat. All my rods have guides in perfect line as well as the reel seat. Worst backbone twist might be 10%. I have on occasions looked at 300 400 $ rods and seen fails in those requirements. I have a $60 rod that met them all, I just went through 10 rods to get it. Its 2 piece and I swapped the bottom of one onto the top of another and it is 100% perfect guides, reel seat and backbone. Just use your head when you shop. Like I said, I've seen total fails in some expensive rods, and once it was a Shimano backbone rod (what a joke that was). That's why I'd never buy a rod online. 

12 hours ago, Kevin1 said:

Further to Taz’s reply, if you take the time to build your own rods occasionally, you’ll learn how to find the backbone of the blank and align the reel seat and guides correctly etc. Back in the 70s and 80s, I never bought a complete rod - I built them all myself after selecting the blanks from a quality tackle store. That way, I got what I wanted in blank, guide, grips, reel seat and fancy bindings. These days, off the shelf rods have come a long way, so I don’t bother building my own but what I learnt back then helps me choose off the shelf.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 3

Thanks Taz and Baz, wonderful to constantly learn from great guys like yourselves willing to share knowledge. will definitely look at those things next time im buying a rod. used to check the alignment of the guides 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Raiders,

Just thought I'd touch base and let you all know that after some help from my local tackle shop, I settled on the Daiwa zero rods.

Picked up the 4-10kg rod with a stradic 4000 reel. I liked the zero rods so much that I also grabbed a 3-5kg one to replace the rod for my stradic 2500.

Great rods, have already taken them out a few times and performed very well!! Managed to hook my first ever jewfish while trying them out down the local river, busted off before I could land him though :( Was only about 40cm but would have been nice to land my first one ever. Bit of a pipe dream to land it solo on a rock wall anyway I guess..

Thanks everyone for your help and recommendations !

• Like 3