Impellor stopped.

Fab1

Impellor i changed was working fine when i was on the water today.

When i pulled the boat out at the ramp i noticed it wasn't pumping water when i went to flush motor.(Don't know how long i ran it with no telltale).

Not sure what the hell happened.

Got home filled tub with water,ran engine,stuck wire in telltale,Nothing.

Pulled the leg off 3 times,checked everything, all looked good.Tried it on muffs,nothing.

Stuck hose up pick up tube and water came out telltale. 

Beats me I'll pull it apart again on weekend.

Edited by Fab1

9 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

What engine do you have Fab?

if it’s a ETec I have been told to change the whole water pump (Housing and Impeller) if it is a few years old.

Still my yammy 30 hp mate.

I changed impellor on my 90 yammie  still no good  so i replaced housing and impellor  all good   i bought the parsun kit at half the price of the yammie     side by side they have the same moulding flaws in the plastic housing  made by same company  half price

11 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Mate had one do the same, different motor though.

i turned out the sleeve that the rubber impellor was on looked perfect but under any load was slipping.

Maybe check that out.

Have checked as that was one of my initial thoughts and it was still located in the same place by it's locking tab.

10 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Did you hang onto the old impeller to swap that back in to check.

Yes, still to try that as well as test the impellor off the outboard. 

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I changed impellor on my 90 yammie  still no good  so i replaced housing and impellor  all good   i bought the parsun kit at half the price of the yammie     side by side they have the same moulding flaws in the plastic housing  made by same company  half price

Yes,I've heard/read that before. After all the tests i do and if it's found the impellor isn't working when bench testing it(In this case in a drum removed of the motor) i will put a whole new impellor kit.

There's a first time for everything i guess.The thing thats odd is it pumped like a trooper when i tested it after fitting at home and on the water then it stopped at some stage.

Like i said, i noticed it not peeing back at the ramp when going to flush it.

I would have thought if there was something wrong with the impellor itself,the stainless cup or plate were scoured ,o-ring was leakibg,cracked housing,sheared woodruff key etc the issue would present itself immediately. 

I thought i sucked up something causing a blockage but it seems fine when i checked.

Put old impellor on and works fine.Checked new impellor with micrometer...thickness of vanes,height of hub,length of vanes etc and there was found to be slightly smaller then the OEM Yama ha one originally fitted.

For those that change impellors on a yearly basis here's something to ponder .

My impellor is the original one that came with my boat/engine when bought in 2011.Apart from some very light creasing where the vanes meet the hub of the impellor itself its like brand new.So is the stainless cup and plate with very,very light wear 

The thing i do religiously is turn the motor over by hand every week as well as move the steering from lock to lock a couple of times.

You make up your own mind how often the impellor should be changed.

I've been  ordering after market parts for years and this is a time when it's  bitten me on the Arxxe.

The only thing i can put it not pumping water is that that non-genuine impellor was slightly out of spec(they are rubber) and not sealing/functioning correctly as all other variables remained the same when swapping from old to new and back again.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

I never use aftermarket parts on things like water pumps, some stuff is OK, but "important" items, no, genuine every time, on the age thing, wear is often relevant to where the boat is used, if you continually churn sand with your motor, you will wear out pumps quick, if you use a deep water ramp, and never see sand, they can, and do, last for years

29 minutes ago, noelm said:

I never use aftermarket parts on things like water pumps, some stuff is OK, but "important" items, no, genuine every time, on the age thing, wear is often relevant to where the boat is used, if you continually churn sand with your motor, you will wear out pumps quick, if you use a deep water ramp, and never see sand, they can, and do, last for years

I agree with what you've said  but this is a first for me using after market.Maybe it got through qc unchecked. Beats me.

I've ordered a whole genuine yamaha impellor kit.May as well replace the lot.

4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I agree with what you've said  but this is a first for me using after market.Maybe it got through qc unchecked. Beats me.

I've ordered a whole genuine yamaha impellor kit.May as well replace the lot.

Better safe than sorry Fab. I have been using non-Yamaha impellors in my 15 HP and never had any problems. Worth pointing out though that I fish almost entirely in fresh water. Hope you get everything A1 and can return to the water confident in the motor doing its thing. Cheers, bn

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Better safe than sorry Fab. I have been using non-Yamaha impellors in my 15 HP and never had any problems. Worth pointing out though that I fish almost entirely in fresh water. Hope you get everything A1 and can return to the water confident in the motor doing its thing. Cheers, bn

Me too.If not I'll pass the mrs the paddles.😂😂

Just caught up on this thread... what a bummer Fab. Glad its all fixed now. I can now imagine you standing at the counter ordering the next one with your micrometer in hand 🤓😂.

BTW, the dud one probably worked on the water as the lower leg was deeply submerged and hence effectively only had to lift water up from the surface of the water to the motor and tell tail. On dry land it had to pump from the lower leg up to the motor and hence has to develop a lot more head to lift the water that high. That small variation in dimensions made all the difference in generating that head. 

Maybe that impeller was a one of defect or wrongly packaged at the factory. I recently ordered an M10x1.0 die. The die came stamped as M10x1.0. I cut a thread with it and the M10 nut just slipped straight over the thread. Hmmm. Checked the thread and the diameter was 0.3mm smaller than an M10 bolt. Turns out the die was cutting a 3/8UNF24 thread, but was stamped M10x1.0.  The stamping is the last part of the manufacturing process.... so how the hell did the UNF die get in the Metric stamping line?  Shit happens I guess.

Cheers 

Zoran