Gemfish at Browns

Basil D

Hey Basil.

What bait were you successful with? We were there as well and didn't go good till 11am when we went away from the main group of boats. The crew then used that mornings caught slimies rather than the thawed ones and  that worked. Not sure whether bait or change of location was the key. 

On 8/7/2019 at 7:52 PM, jnrfinatic said:

AWESOME!! Well done on the fishing, love the photos haha. Nice feed mate! 

Well done 

Adem 

Thanks Adem

On 8/8/2019 at 8:34 AM, 61 crusher said:

Well done that’s a great bag of fish & photos & a stonker of a gem fish 

Thanks Crusher

On 8/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, masterfisho7 said:

Top report and well done on the fishing front great photos

Thanks masterfisho

On 8/8/2019 at 9:13 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Well done @Basil D great pics thanks

Thank you Donna

On 8/8/2019 at 10:21 AM, Scratchie said:

Good stuff Mr Groper! Nice to see you still getting out and having fun! 

Cheers scratchie!!’ 

will get out even on a wheel chair lol

On 8/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, TAZ said:

Terrific! Never seen those before. Look like a cross between a Couta and a Mackerel. The fish look nice too.  Obviously good eating. 

they are awesome any way you cook them

On 8/8/2019 at 5:28 PM, Yowie said:

Nice feed there Basil.

Thanks yowie

22 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and top photos.

Thanks rebel

21 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Noice :clapping:

Thanks mate

12 hours ago, letsgocrabbing said:

Hey Basil.

What bait were you successful with? We were there as well and didn't go good till 11am when we went away from the main group of boats. The crew then used that mornings caught slimies rather than the thawed ones and  that worked. Not sure whether bait or change of location was the key. 

They take just about anything, I have old slimies and blocks of pillies, I put about 4 pillied per hook through the eye and a bit of slimie to keep the pillies on.

they even take California squid

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Basil D said:

1.5 meters from tackle world $249, its a space saver thats what I love about it, doesnt keep ice like a true esky

Thanks.   I looked at them at the show.   Just not convinced I want to store it. 

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1

Just about to cook some gemmie fillets from our catch last week. None as big as the fish in your first photo which is HUGH. Like jewies, I find the smaller ones a bit soapy.

You must have been close to the bag limit of two per anger and ten for the boat so well done. My mate and I (we normally go out two up) aren't sure of the success rate using barbless hooks and release weights.  Hopefully they work.

• Like 1

Sorry for doubling up this post. Firstly thats an awesome catch, congrats. Did that big one have a fat belly from food or eggs ? if roe did you eat it?

The fishing at browns always seems to be very good for them, where here the spots I used to fish simply stopped producing them and blue eye so I sold my deep drop gear. Seals impacted on our catches by steeling our fish as soon as they got within 6om of the surface, literally going from boat to boat stealing fish.

I believe makos can be pretty bad on browns at times when the gems are thick.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:10 PM, Barnacle said:

Just about to cook some gemmie fillets from our catch last week. None as big as the fish in your first photo which is HUGH. Like jewies, I find the smaller ones a bit soapy.

You must have been close to the bag limit of two per anger and ten for the boat so well done. My mate and I (we normally go out two up) aren't sure of the success rate using barbless hooks and release weights.  Hopefully they work.

3 of us on board and took 5 fish

On 8/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, fragmeister said:

That's a great Gemmie Basil,

Thanks Mate :)

On 8/13/2019 at 3:08 PM, JonD said:

Sorry for doubling up this post. Firstly thats an awesome catch, congrats. Did that big one have a fat belly from food or eggs ? if roe did you eat it?

The fishing at browns always seems to be very good for them, where here the spots I used to fish simply stopped producing them and blue eye so I sold my deep drop gear. Seals impacted on our catches by steeling our fish as soon as they got within 6om of the surface, literally going from boat to boat stealing fish.

I believe makos can be pretty bad on browns at times when the gems are thick.

Hey mate yeah full of Roe, No didnt eat them, we too have seals and sharks, always fun sharks on electric reel LOL, there wasnt any of them last time I was out thank goodness