Finally a Fishy Friday 26.7.2019

zmk1962

Hey Raider Amigos,

It's been a long time since my last fishing report way back in April....and apologies this one is a belated report from Fishy Friday 26.7.2019 .. but that's all I've got to contribute.

Anyway work and life issues cleared enough to get out for a fish and with the weather being kind my good mate Wayne and I headed out to try some new grounds away from my regular Broken Bay haunts.  Armed with a few hot tips (thanks Sam), we launched from Roseville and hit the reefs off Manly and DY. 

Bait: Salted pilles and tailor fillets

Rigs: One rod each with a paternoster and another each with "the hybrid" rig Sam spoke about in previous reports.

We moved frequently and were plagued by jackets that took their toll on gear... but ended the day with 7 decent flatties, 1 pannie snapper, 1 jacket, 1 gummy shark and a massive banjo.   All the bigger fish were landed on "the hybrid".

A rather mixed bag from a top day on the water - but enough there for a few feeds and lotsa smiles. 😀😁

Cheers

Zoran

BARRYCUDA finally saw water after months on the drive way !!!

image.png.edca9e1cbe73681b17330d581f5d229a.png

Look at that calm sea !

image.thumb.png.708f688df985739457463ca0518a35df.png

And a catch to boot !

image.png.b8b02dc784e0801bfb2eb28eea03cfd5.png

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Welster said:

Nice one.   The conditions don’t get much better than that!

Couldn't agree more Jason .... they were even better for me after a 3mth dry spell !

16 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

Are the gummy's any good?

Nice report. Hope to get out there with you again mate!

Hey Antony - yeah likewise we need to do a session out soon. Re Gummy,  I haven't had a chew as yet, but all the reports are they they are excellent flake. Two fillets (990g each) came of that gummy. So my buddy and I each have about a kilo to play with and try in various ways. Will let you know.

14 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Nice to see you back with us and on the water Zoran

Good catch there

Thanks so much Donna ! 

Cheers Z

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice mixed bag! Isn’t it great to just get out there after a long spell off the water! Good on you Sam for helping out! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Sure is great ! ... and one day it will be FANTASTIC when I actually get up to Port Stephens to catch a real fish! Maybe you can teach me a thing or three .....Hahaha.  

Cheers Z

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, zmk1962 said:
On 8/8/2019 at 9:14 AM, antonywardle said:

Are the gummy's any good?

Nice report. Hope to get out there with you again mate!

Hey Antony - yeah likewise we need to do a session out soon. Re Gummy,  I haven't had a chew as yet, but all the reports are they they are excellent flake. Two fillets (990g each) came of that gummy. So my buddy and I each have about a kilo to play with and try in various ways. Will let you know.

Just to close this out, I did have the gummy about a week ago and just now remembered I had committed to report back.

Happy to report that they are awesome table tucker. I prepared the fillets as fish cocktail size chunks, rolled in flour salt and pepper, shallow fried in oil with a few whole garlic cloves. Served with two side dishes: a warm  kiffler potato / string bean mayo salad and coleslaw.  

The gummy had firm white flesh, very delicate flavour and obviously was completely boneless. Just awesome tucker. Can't wait to come across a few more.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1