Sign in to follow this  
chris b

SAND SLED

Recommended Posts

High guys  

II have been thinking about  making sled to pull all my gear around when Go beach fishing

May be put light seat on it rod holder a stick straight  up  5 foot high with a light on it

Do you think would be easer to pull it a round    Or some thing with wheels on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I have a lot of gear, I use a yard cart.

cost about $90 from Bunnings

big fat wheels make it ok for sand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen guys make beach carts out of old golf buggies. If you can scrounge the right one, some have pretty wide wheels.

When we were kids our dad made us sand sleds out of masonite. They were about a metre long and half a metre wide with a turned up front. We'd polish up the shiny side (bottom) with a bit of timber floor polish and they would fly down the slightest of sand dunes.

I don't think masonite is still readily available, but might give you some ideas. You would have to carry it to the sand from where you park your car though, so possibly the wide wheels would be a better option.

Come to think of it, I can remember kayak guys putting something over their trolley wheels to make them wider for soft sand but for the life of me I can't remember what they used. Perhaps a google search would find it.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still easy to get Masonite, but, what you make depends on location, if you have a lot of soft dry sand, anything with wheels will be a job pulling it along, hard packed sand, wheels will be great, how big to you expect to make it? I think Franks might have done a thread about making one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good morning  guy

About 3 foot 6 ot 4 foot long and wide   enough  to stand a light aluminum   fold up chair in

OF Couse  I will need

 wheels to get I  from the car to the sand

I was thinking the axel will  set up like a lawn mower  cam action

so the wheels can sewing up and  down with a lever 

A bucket for  my live bate if I can them 

A small esky   for a drink or two  and a few nice sandwiches  and in the winter flask  full of tea or nice  hot soup 

A  hooded rain coat   and a rod holder attach to the sled  and fishing gear  

Do you think tis getting  to heavy

Thanks guys 

Chris

Edited by chris b
xxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comes down to how heavy your tackle box is to be honest, the esky and bucket i dont believe will be to heavy, will come down to what you normally take for a beach trip, i take my whole tackle bag which has small and large sinkers etc, two rods, food and drink, rod holder etc.

If i go for a beach fish nowadays, i just take the beach rod, and one plano box out of my whole bag and a rod holder and small everyday backpack for food and drink, cooking etc.

if you think its going to be too heavy i would also curve the front of the sled with the masonite, and if your going to make it be able to hold in things id drill holders like 1x2 pine for specific things to hold them in, dont make a big cart out of it etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my version of a tackle buggie, holds slide in/out tackle shelves plenty of room for esky and bucket etc has rod holders and sand spike holders 12 volt forward and reverse go forward if you want the buggie in front of you or reverse for buggie following you could get larger balloon tyres for soft sand. 12 volt 20 amp hour battery lasts all day.

Was going to make remote control versions but nobody showed any interest so didn't bother.

20181016_092116fs.thumb.jpg.33abd994c462fb56d758624f428d8dde.jpg

260531191_tacklebuggie.thumb.jpg.d8f84d810820139147694a699f5377a4.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thank guys

That is elaborate  set Frank I don't know how well I get it in and the boot

The sled  hull will be radius  back about  1/2 to 2/3  its length  around 6 inches

at it deeps point Most of the weight  I will place in the back 

IF it works out  I may put a light weight fouled down l  canopy  with sides and back  on it so I can sit in it with the rod in the rod holder

 

 

Edited by chris b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought.

You could make it with wide wheels and perhaps 30 or 40mm above where the wheels contact the sand have a sled type base. 

That way if the wheels start to bury in the sand the sled takes over with minimal drag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chris b said:

Thank guys

That is elaborate  set Frank I don't know how well I get it in and the boot

The sled  hull will be radius  back about  1/2 to 2/3  its length  around 6 inches

at it deeps point Most of the weight  I will place in the back 

IF it works out  I may put a light weight fouled down l  canopy  with sides and back  on it so I can sit in it with the rod in the rod holder  IT all ways nice to have a rod brake and a lemonade 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Just a thought.

You could make it with wide wheels and perhaps 30 or 40mm above where the wheels contact the sand have a sled type base. 

That way if the wheels start to bury in the sand the sled takes over with minimal drag.

 

13 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Just a thought.

You could make it with wide wheels and perhaps 30 or 40mm above where the wheels contact the sand have a sled type base. 

That way if the wheels start to bury in the sand the sled takes over with minimal drag.

I will be able move the  wheels around  6 inches up and 6 inches down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get the right size solid flat wheels you can fit pvc pipe extensions over them i had some years ago that were 300mm wide  worked well on belmont beach when i didnt have a 4by

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

If you get the right size solid flat wheels you can fit pvc pipe extensions over them i had some years ago that were 300mm wide  worked well on belmont beach when i didnt have a 4by

Rick did the wheels go round  or did they slide over the sand How many wheels and  what size tube

did it have mate

 

Edited by chris b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 wheels  if i remember right it was 300 mm stormwater on flat golf buggy wheels  riveted on  and they half rolled half slid depending on sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

2 wheels  if i remember right it was 300 mm stormwater on flat golf buggy wheels  riveted on  and they half rolled half slid depending on sand

 So how long was the tube on the wheels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

300mm wide x 300mm

Edited by rickmarlin62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

300mm wide x 300mm

Thanks  Rick  Do you think my  sled may be a little easier to  move a long  the sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I go beach fishing with a rod and a bucket, the bucket has my bait (beach worms) a knife and a tiny plastic tackle box, and I use it to carry the catch back, but then, I rarely fish for anything other than Whiting, so gear is minimal.

Edited by noelm
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

300mm wide x 300mm

Sound s good Rick  You  started me thinking  How would a 300mm  tube roller go the full  withed  of the hull

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, chris b said:

Sound s good Rick  You  started me thinking  How would a 300mm  tube roller go the full  withed  of the hull

 

If you wanted a bit of traction, you could add some “tread” by wrapping the PVC tube with rubber matting, like fatigue mat or ute mat or similar. Fix it on with some glue or rivets/screws. Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

sIf you wanted a bit of traction, you could add some “tread” by wrapping the PVC tube with rubber matting, like fatigue mat or ute mat or similar. Fix it on with some glue or rivets/screws. Just a thought.

Thank s Berieyguts I will keep that in mine mate

Edited by chris b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...going bigger diameter is better than going wider.

Good day  Back Cruncher  What do you  suggest  mate   What do you think of my SLED I only need wheels  to get it from the car to sand after that I move them up off the sand and it becomes Sled

Chris 

Edited by chris b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 12:22 PM, frankS said:

Here's my version of a tackle buggie, holds slide in/out tackle shelves plenty of room for esky and bucket etc has rod holders and sand spike holders 12 volt forward and reverse go forward if you want the buggie in front of you or reverse for buggie following you could get larger balloon tyres for soft sand. 12 volt 20 amp hour battery lasts all day.

Was going to make remote control versions but nobody showed any interest so didn't bother.

20181016_092116fs.thumb.jpg.33abd994c462fb56d758624f428d8dde.jpg

260531191_tacklebuggie.thumb.jpg.d8f84d810820139147694a699f5377a4.jpg

Awesome looking sled there Frank, very nice handiwork. Have to wonder why you would go and ruin it at the end with that sticker on the side though? :1onono:

 

Cheers,

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all...Chris,all good ideas mate.ive seen beach going wheel chairs to get the disabled people onto the beach,big light weight plastic ballon tyres .one person pushing them on soft dry sand.you won’t need wheels that big though.

the kids are putting pvc pipe over there tyres so they can slide there carts and trikes.they let the air out of tyres,slip pvc over tyre then pump tyre up to lock in pvc.

rick mentioned Belmont beach,I call it blacksmiths beach,it’s is one of the softest beaches around.so if Rick managed on that beach pulling a cart,your on a winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      64,688
    • Total Posts
      518,295