Birthday boy

JonD

My youngest hit 15 today and opted for a trip out fishing rather than school "funny that".

After walking the dog, chatting with neighbours and having to fill the car and boat with fuel it was 11.30 before we launched. Raced out to Montague, yes raced like you would on a 15 year old boys birthday!!!!. On arrival there were 30 odd Pro boats leadlining the northern end ( only one locally regestered boat ).  A couple of locals who had made the early morning effort to gather live baits had been at it for 6 hrs with no fish even though the pro boats were pulling a few.

Anyway, spotted a few fish on the sounder and started to jig, third drop and my lad was onto one. He doesn't normally fish due to seasickness so this was his biggest ever king and boy did he like it. Did a couple of photos when he'd suddenly felt sick!!!!...didn't matter as the job was accomplished so headed home after just 10 mns of being out there.

No not kingfish for dinner, tonight its pizza!!

_JDP7348_1.jpg.a75c9f2c69f2ef4ccc6eff14413e0af3.jpg

602121634__JDP7366copy_1.jpg.11115e771e7e393af22dc7bf14f64ae6.jpg

• Like 14

9 hours ago, hensen said:

sea sick tablets are the go could have got a few more 

He takes them about 30mins before each trip. He would of stayed and has before but the goal was a legal king which is more than enough for three good feeds for our family of five.

7 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Happy 15th!

Great day out for a birthday and I wish I could coax my 15 year old away from his PC for a day like that!

I know where you are coming from, I'm lucky that he stops the computer stuff without argument if we point out he's been on it to long. We are also pretty lucky that 90% of his computer time is taken up learning new songs to play busking or up at the old people's home. He really gets a buzz getting the oldies singing dancing and clapping to old Elvis and Johny Cash songs. He enjoys catching the odd fish but he's buzzing all night if he get the oldies on their feet.

What a great Dad you are Jon. Amazing that he would want to head out offshore when he has seasick woes. Top stuff that you managed to put him onto such a great fish in such a short time. Hope that he remembers the 15th birthday spent with his old man and the "big Kingie" that he caught. TOP STUFF, bn

• Like 1

I'm sure you've heard more tips than anyone with your experience in the boating world but i"ll throw in my two cents.

I've always been prone to getting sea sick but rarely actually get sick these days unless it is pretty rough and or we get a catergory 5 tangle in the wash zone and i have to sort it out. I have it at least 45 minutes before ill be in the rough water (i'm fine in the river and bay and in mild conditions inshore). Other tips are eat a normal breaky (dry eg toast with honey or similar) is better if you need everything going for you) but I still drink coffee) and try to go to the toilet before you get on the boat, it puts your guts in much better standing for the day.

Keep snacking on salty stuff, drink ginger beer etc, do not look down if possible, always look out at the horizon, put your phone in the glove box and let someone else read the sounder and do untangling jobs. If you are woozy drifting or anchor, go for a little drive, let the sick person drive if capable.

17 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

I'm sure you've heard more tips than anyone with your experience in the boating world but i"ll throw in my two cents.

I've always been prone to getting sea sick but rarely actually get sick these days unless it is pretty rough and or we get a catergory 5 tangle in the wash zone and i have to sort it out. I have it at least 45 minutes before ill be in the rough water (i'm fine in the river and bay and in mild conditions inshore). Other tips are eat a normal breaky (dry eg toast with honey or similar) is better if you need everything going for you) but I still drink coffee) and try to go to the toilet before you get on the boat, it puts your guts in much better standing for the day.

Keep snacking on salty stuff, drink ginger beer etc, do not look down if possible, always look out at the horizon, put your phone in the glove box and let someone else read the sounder and do untangling jobs. If you are woozy drifting or anchor, go for a little drive, let the sick person drive if capable.

Thats pretty much what we do for him but he can literally 5mins outside the bar before he turns sick. Funny thing was a couple of months ago he managed three big days offshore chassing tuna which we thought had gotten him over it.

He's still keen on doing another trip up around Lady Musgrave which is 75km offshore, with no coming back for a few days. 

We will continue to persevere with it, luckily I don't mind running the sick back home which normally helps most people mentally when they come out with me. This trip above literally used under $10 of fuel.

• Like 1