Rui Squid Jigs - Anyone used them?

SydneyIsSkyBlue

Hey guys, 

I've just purchased a few Rui squid jigs online after a mate recommended them to me (he swore by them).

Always happy to try new things but to be honest, a bit sceptical at the price point they came in at ($10.99 each) compared to the standard brands I'm normally using (Yamashita, Shimano etc.) - especially in regards to water dynamics. Willing to give them a try though as they have a nice range of colours and look pretty decent. Has anyone had any experience using these and if so, how do they perform?

Thanks,

SSIB!

Edited by SydneyIsSkyBlue

Not me but interested to hear how they go.   I like  Harimitsu jigs but have had plenty of success on $10 and cheaper jigs.   But if I'm only using one rod I felt more confident with my fave Harimitsu until I inevitably lost it. 

2 hours ago, Welster said:

Not me but interested to hear how they go.   I like  Harimitsu jigs but have had plenty of success on $10 and cheaper jigs.   But if I'm only using one rod I felt more confident with my fave Harimitsu until I inevitably lost it. 

Will keep you posted mate!

• Thanks 1

Yeah curious to hear. For me I only ever buy Yamashita if i'm spending over $10 these days as they are just so consistently good. Do buy cheapies at times with varying success. Worth noting that its often worthwhile with the cheaper ones trimming the weight down yourself to get the sink rate/angle you are happy with as 90% of the time they are over weighted for my liking.

cheers

Rich

I caught a load of arrow squid on the RUI, "Y.E.S Revenge" model pictured below.. 2.5 size. I usually run this one and a brown/natural Yamashita and they have caught about the same amount, some days one is favoured.

The build quality doesn't seem as good for RUI, I've got a few with the cloth beaten up, but I'm happy to be catching enough squid to beat them up! Also I had the spikes fall out a new RUI (one session, no squid), I never hit them up for a replacement so can't comment on their service. The eyes look cheaper than Yamashita, but RUI have some colours I wanted to try (white/red/black) and are generally quick to receive off eb@y (I've bought 15 or so in in 3 shipments).

Price wise I try buy on special usually so no real difference for base model Yamashita's, I get 3 for $30 yamashita from d1nga. But base model vs top shelf Yamashita's are not a fair comparison.

s-l640.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Hey guys, 

I've just purchased a few Rui squid jigs online after a mate recommended them to me (he swore by them).

Always happy to try new things but to be honest, a bit sceptical at the price point they came in at ($10.99 each) compared to the standard brands I'm normally using (Yamashita, Shimano etc.) - especially in regards to water dynamics. Willing to give them a try though as they have a nice range of colours and look pretty decent. Has anyone had any experience using these and if so, how do they perform?

Thanks,

SSIB!

I have used them quite a bit, mainly because they have some colours that no one else has and I liked them. Have caught plenty of squid on them. Strike rate is no different to expensive jigs. 

I have found the spikes to be not very sharp and are very difficult to get them sharp yourself. Still, they catch a heap of squid.

23 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

I have used them quite a bit, mainly because they have some colours that no one else has and I liked them. Have caught plenty of squid on them. Strike rate is no different to expensive jigs. 

I have found the spikes to be not very sharp and are very difficult to get them sharp yourself. Still, they catch a heap of squid.

Really interesting you say that. I noticed the same thing when I caught my finger on one of the spikes and I didn't jump through the roof like the Yamashita ones tended to do to me.