CRAZY Landbased Kingfish On Snag Bream Gear Parramatta River And Smokings Again!

nbdshroom

G'day guys, I'm back again with another report where I get into some strife (including smokings lol) on the Parramatta River once again. 

Using my 2-4kg 7' foot rod and 6lb line and leader which I had intended to chase bream with, I ran into a school of legal kings inshore and it was mayhem for a short half hour. I was doing my usual repertoire of small hops and letting the lure hit the bottom when I got a super solid hookup as a kingfish took a liking to a Zman slim swimz in midnight oil (new release colour this year).

It hit the ground running and there wasn't anything I could do but hold on and hope. It wasn't a surprise when the fish got me tangled on a rock out on a dropoff and I was mentally resigned to simply waiting for the moment the line would snap... except it didn't! I thought that was tense moment but it escalated.

raider1.thumb.jpg.ec09fff1d6e8903149fdcaf19a60eaaf.jpg

It suddenly freed itself off the rock and went for another blistering run and I had my heart in my mouth! Not sure whether to feel relieved or even more worried at the handicap (leader all roughed up from the rock) I was now burdened with, I just tried my best to carry on. Finally after a tense struggle of trying to land the fish, I was able to land it to my relief!

Thanks for reading guys!

• Like 11

Mate you done exceptionally well getting that fish to your hands. Watching the video my heart started pumping and my wrist was getting twitchy and towards the end I was near out of breath. You made me feel almost like I was there.

Thanks for sharing and all the best for next time.

Frank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

I watched the video when it first came out and I have to say that I loved it! Nice job on working these kingies on light gear to! 

Well done 

Adem 

Haha nice! Appreciate it Adem.

6 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Top stuff on such light gear, very well done. Great vid too.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks Rich, I love using the light gear and getting surprised by something far more capable than bream.

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and video and photos. You convinced me, I must buy a light rod.

Cheers.

Awesome! I think you will love it. There's a lot you can do with light gear and they certainly can land some big fish if played right.

5 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Unreal capture on that gear in the river! Fantastic effort and a memorable capture! Great video as well

Thanks wazatherfisherman! I won't be forgetting this day for a while yet.

4 hours ago, frankS said:

Mate you done exceptionally well getting that fish to your hands. Watching the video my heart started pumping and my wrist was getting twitchy and towards the end I was near out of breath. You made me feel almost like I was there.

Thanks for sharing and all the best for next time.

Frank

Thanks Frank. I was mere moments from dropping to my hunches in despair when the line freed itself and then I didn't know whether that was a good thing or whether it guaranteed I would definitely be busted off haha.

Great catch mate!

Bit of a step up from the salmon you caught a little while back :)

Have watched a fair few of your youtube videos since that day, and I'm pretty sure I've seen you down at Gymea baths before around 6 months ago - fishing on the corner with a livey out under a black balloon?

You seem to have a fair bit of luck on the Parra river lately. Has been absolutely dead for me lately & also struggling to find some consistent areas. Would love some tips or even some company one day if you'd be up for it? I work in the Lewisham area so I have easy access to most parts of the river.

Been throwing soft plastics around for a while now without really mastering the art. Would love some guidance from an expert :p

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Nice video and great capture! You did really well to land that fish.

1/16th jig heads i rarely use, i should go a bit lighter in the estuary I’m impressed with how much casting distance you’re able to achieve there - sold technique and good gear. Can you give us a rundown of the reel type, line type and rod you’re using? What sort of leader and leader knot? Are you running the knot through the guides or using just 1 metre or so?

Great effort on light gear, especially land based! From a boat, you have a bit of a chance because you can get away from the structure... but land based, it’s a real battle! Well done!

I don’t know about the “it hit the ground running” narrative, though! 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Thanks Rich, I love using the light gear and getting surprised by something far more capable than bream.

Yeah, something so much more satisfying in a capture when you know you are under gunned and really have to use your angling techniques to there fullest. Top stuff. 

• Like 1

I've been surprised by how light I've been able to land kings on. Earlier in the year I was using a little wild weasel Daiwa black for some epic fun.

Landing those you have there with those rocks sitting just beneath the surface is quite an achievement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Top stuff nice work on the kings nice video footage

Thanks masterfisho7.

4 hours ago, Berrero said:

Great catch mate!

Bit of a step up from the salmon you caught a little while back :)

Have watched a fair few of your youtube videos since that day, and I'm pretty sure I've seen you down at Gymea baths before around 6 months ago - fishing on the corner with a livey out under a black balloon?

You seem to have a fair bit of luck on the Parra river lately. Has been absolutely dead for me lately & also struggling to find some consistent areas. Would love some tips or even some company one day if you'd be up for it? I work in the Lewisham area so I have easy access to most parts of the river.

Been throwing soft plastics around for a while now without really mastering the art. Would love some guidance from an expert :p

Definitely a step up and good thing it didn't magically evolve in a salmon like that one in that particular video haha. Yes, that would have been me down there. I got smoked one time before I could get to my rod. I had a live arrow squid on and the rod just took off. I need to go back and finish the job lol.

Come say hi if you see me out there. Everything is unplanned due to unpredictable times that I have to fish so I don't know when and where I might be. Some tips I have would be to work on chasing bream or flathead on light outfits 2-4kg rods and 6/8lb braid/leader. It's tough at the start but it's a good way to learn to master the light touch needed to deliver the lure, work the lures and learn to fight fish within the limits of the gear. 

4 hours ago, Speedmaster30 said:

Nice video!

thanks for the share!

Cheers Speedmaster30. The footage had to be seen!

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Nice video and great capture! You did really well to land that fish.

1/16th jig heads i rarely use, i should go a bit lighter in the estuary I’m impressed with how much casting distance you’re able to achieve there - sold technique and good gear. Can you give us a rundown of the reel type, line type and rod you’re using? What sort of leader and leader knot? Are you running the knot through the guides or using just 1 metre or so?

Thanks flatheadluke. My standard setup consists simply of a 2000 sized reel with a 2-4kg 7' fast-actioned rod and run 0.6PE (~6lb braid) and 6lb FC leader. 

The rod has a big impact; it's fast action helps me to flick or 'whip' cast out the light weights at high speed which greatly increases casting distance and punches it through wind. The line is equally important; it must be thin and preferably smooth (but a rough braid ties better knots and can take a bit more rough treatment). I use an arm span of leader so maybe 1.5m or more but definitely when in the cocked casting position the leader knot isn't wound onto spool. I tie FG knots for braid-to-leader connection and a uniknot for terminal connections. 

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great effort on light gear, especially land based! From a boat, you have a bit of a chance because you can get away from the structure... but land based, it’s a real battle! Well done!

I don’t know about the “it hit the ground running” narrative, though! 😂

True Berleyguts! It's funny when I'm on the boat I'm way more calm and on land I'm often at awe watching that spool sing lol. That fish definitely got to work on me! I only wish I had the hookup footage too.

3 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Yeah, something so much more satisfying in a capture when you know you are under gunned and really have to use your angling techniques to there fullest. Top stuff. 

That's so true Mr Squidy. It's that feeling when you know the next run is the last before disaster strikes and the line is under maximum pressure already. 

1 hour ago, JonD said:

I've been surprised by how light I've been able to land kings on. Earlier in the year I was using a little wild weasel Daiwa black for some epic fun.

Landing those you have there with those rocks sitting just beneath the surface is quite an achievement.

Thanks JonD. Sometimes I think to myself how strong light line can be when snagged on a rock and having to exert so much force to break off the lure. At other times it feels like tooth floss. I've lost so many to rocks and it's good to win sometimes.

• Like 1