Cormorants.

TAZ

Hi guys. Over the last several years here in Vic I have noticed a big increase in cormorant numbers on the inland lake's. In particular the clear water ones. Makes sense as they chase/hunt by sight. But with this cormorant increase the fish catches have decreaesed. Significantly! In theses lakes you may have gone fishing and not caught anything but still saw rise's, got follows and or hits. Now it's just donuts all round. This goes for trout and redfin. Some lakes that you at least got a few small reddies in a session you now get nothing. An example is a small stocked water supply called Teddington Stuart Mill. Every time you got a fish or a few, or had follows, hits, but now nothing. But it gets stocked with around a 1000 trout a year more or less. But, you now see flocks of cormorants there often. You rarely used to see any but in the past few years they can number from a dozen to 30 ish. Last year at Tullaroop there were flocks numbering up to 200 birds. I see the same now in nearly every clear water stocked lake in central Vic. And, the fish catch rate in them all has declined. The cormorant numbers here have boomed and with that has coincided a significant drop in catch rate, fish activity and success. I am in no doubt that much of Vic's fish stocking now in clear water reservoir's and lakes is nothing more than cormorant feeding. Have any of you guys noticed a significant increase of them in other states? 

Edited by TAZ

This time of the year we often get several hundred accompanied with pelicans on our local lake ( posted pics last week of some of the pelicans ). This is an annual thing which lasts 2-3 weeks before they all move on following natures clock. 

Are these birds you mention permanently there all year or perhaps like these, simply following food timing. Often we point the finger at nature taking our fish, where in fact it's the opposite way around, our own numbers and demands are to blame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonD said:

This time of the year we often get several hundred accompanied with pelicans on our local lake ( posted pics last week of some of the pelicans ). This is an annual thing which lasts 2-3 weeks before they all move on following natures clock. 

Are these birds you mention permanently there all year or perhaps like these, simply following food timing. Often we point the finger at nature taking our fish, where in fact it's the opposite way around, our own numbers and demands are to blame.

Hi mate. No, wish it was just a few weeks, these are for months on end. I read of a similar problem in Tasmania. Looked up online and a few places in the UK have had the fishing devestated by them. Have regularly fished this area from the 70's. Never seen these huge numbers that just move in and wipe places out. I figured that if the average was they ate 1 to 2 fish per day as they say they do, 200 birds, there for 6 months. At just 1 fish per bird thats 33,600 fish. If they did consume 2 per day 67,200. I heard a number of people in the district that stocked their own dams gave up on the idea and said they were just feeding the birds. It is recognised that the numbers have increased considerably. 

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/cormorants/Cormorant-Fish-Fisheries.htm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.weeklytimesnow.com.au/sport/fishing/anglers-blame-government-policy-for-loss-of-iconic-trout-fisheries/news-story/154cd01693338c14816eeecc67820aa7

32 minutes ago, TAZ said:

Hi mate. No, wish it was just a few weeks, these are for months on end. I read of a similar problem in Tasmania. Looked up online and a few places in the UK have had the fishing devestated by them. Have regularly fished this area from the 70's. Never seen these huge numbers that just move in and wipe places out. I figured that if the average was they ate 1 to 2 fish per day as they say they do, 200 birds, there for 6 months. At just 1 fish per bird thats 33,600 fish. If they did consume 2 per day 67,200. I heard a number of people in the district that stocked their own dams gave up on the idea and said they were just feeding the birds. It is recognised that the numbers have increased considerably. 

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/cormorants/Cormorant-Fish-Fisheries.htm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.weeklytimesnow.com.au/sport/fishing/anglers-blame-government-policy-for-loss-of-iconic-trout-fisheries/news-story/154cd01693338c14816eeecc67820aa7

That's a shame, a bit like the seals that see us as an easy way to a meal when we hook kingfish or even blue eye out wide. There was once a time where we didn't have to stock fish, unfortunately each of our solutions brings with it more problems.

21 hours ago, JonD said:

That's a shame, a bit like the seals that see us as an easy way to a meal when we hook kingfish or even blue eye out wide. There was once a time where we didn't have to stock fish, unfortunately each of our solutions brings with it more problems.

Very true mate. I may have to rethink my fishing tactics using lures in Clearwater lakes for trout and redfin and start targeting the natives more in the rivers. Time to buy some cheese and chicken I think. 😁

15 minutes ago, TAZ said:

Very true mate. I may have to rethink my fishing tactics using lures in Clearwater lakes for trout and redfin and start targeting the natives more in the rivers. Time to buy some cheese and chicken I think. 😁

U might have to hurry TAZ. The season closes for Murray Cod (1st Sept -30th Nov). Just heading to the river (Murrumbidgee) now to see if there's enough water to put the boat in and chuck a few lures around. Have almost forgotten what to do. Good luck, bn

48 minutes ago, big Neil said:

U might have to hurry TAZ. The season closes for Murray Cod (1st Sept -30th Nov). Just heading to the river (Murrumbidgee) now to see if there's enough water to put the boat in and chuck a few lures around. Have almost forgotten what to do. Good luck, bn

Im hoping to have a go this coming week in the Loddon. Drove over it a couple of weeks ago and it was flowing pretty well after the rains we've had. Good luck to you too mate. 👍

Thanks TAZ. I spent a nice few hours on the Bidgee casting lures and spinnerbaits around the stumps. 2 other boats out but nobody got so much as a touch. Had a few issues with the boat but that's for another post. Good luck mate. bn

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks TAZ. I spent a nice few hours on the Bidgee casting lures and spinnerbaits around the stumps. 2 other boats out but nobody got so much as a touch. Had a few issues with the boat but that's for another post. Good luck mate. bn

Bummer about the boat having issues, hopefuly an easy fix, but otherwise a day fishing any way, fish or not, beats sitting at home. This weather here wont let up, cold fronts followed by cold fronts, wind, showers. I'll go mad if I dont get out this week. 😲