Early morning king surprise

ParaPaul

So I thought I'd head out early to catch the 2 hours run in before high tide and try to nab a couple of flatties. Got down to the Cook's river breakwall at Kyeemagh at around 0730 with my 7' 2-4kg rod and Daiwa 2500 reel which is spooled with 14lb Fireline and an 8 lb fluoro leader, rigged it up with a 1/8 oz jighead and loaded on a 3" ZMan MinnowZ in bloodworm colour and cast in towards the bridge on General Holmes drive.

First cast at 0740, 3rd cast around 0742 and I was on! Line came screaming off and then it stopped, I thought I was onto a flattie at first, but then zzzzzzzzzz.......line came screaming off again and towards the pylons. I then reassessed and thought either a kingie or a jew. I abandoned the jew idea after a number of good, strong runs and not feeling as if it was tiring and settled on the idea that it was a kingie. A couple of guys came and had a look as I had been playing this thing for about 15 minutes, I threw one of them the keys to my Commodore and asked him to get my landing net out of the back for me as i didn't think I would be able to land it on the gear I had. Good bloke whoever you are, thanks. Another bloke came down to the rocks with me ready to assist with the net.

Anyway, managed to land it after 25 minutes, kept it going right towards the ocean as much as I could, there were a couple of hairy moments there.

Ended up with a nice kingfish, coming in at 72cm on the tape. Machine guns thumping in my chest and a couple of nice frays on my leader. Lovely early morning surprise. I had a few more casts after that but couldn't stop thinking about that high octane half hour, so pulled stumps and took him home.

Happy fishing to all :)

20190817_080843.jpg

Edited by ParaPaul
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Bernie W said:

Great fish on light tackle, especially from shore. Even better that the guy came back with the net and didn't steal your car!  Well done mate.

Haha, yeah, always a bonus 😆👍