New kayak fisher

JimC

Hi all. I am considering getting a kayak for fishing. If I am honest it is that I need the exercise. I don't want over the top expenditure as I am on a pension and have a muscular problem and have to live on prednisone to function. I am also 105 kg, hence the need for exercise. I would consider a pedal model and if possible a small sail. What kayak would you recommend for a novice? I am a keen fisherman hence my membership here. Maybe someone here might have a serviceable but older model they might like to part with. Jim

I am fairly new to the kayak scene aswell and recently purchased myself a pedal kayak, just for the hands free experience. They arnt cheap compared to their traditional paddle counterparts but are defiantly worth it. The kayak i purchased is commonly known as the REVOLVE 10 kayak. which sits around 1,500$. I got mine of bay sports under the name "pedal pro fish". 
Ill list a few pros and cons with this kayak after taking it out 15 odd times during the winter.

pros;
-  i was quite surprised with its stability and how it sits on the water (you can stand up in it if the waters calm and your balance is good)
-  pedal drive system is quite and has no resistance 
- plenty of leg room (im around 6'' 2)
- heaps of places to mount extra rod holders, sounders, lights

- handles chop and wake pretty well. 

- really comfy chair which has storage straps under it. (i never use them)

- has a good cruising speed and can go pretty quick when going all out

- good turning circle with the rudder 

cons; 

- fills up with water through the rails when washing it down (or flips) because the screws arnt water tight and the water a pain to remove. It dosnt gain not alot of water.

- Pedal drive pins didn't line up with the cut outs in the hull. I fixed this with a lighter and a razor blade.

- Its heavy. I recommend a kayak trolley. 

- the adjustable plastic strap bits on the seat broke 5 seconds into its maiden voyage, take them off as soon as possible and just tire the strap to the top of the chair in a position your comfy in

- if you are to stand up on it, its really slippery, get stick on anti slip pads

- the bits that come with the kayak that slide inside the rails to mount rod holders, sounders, etc were slightly to big for the rails that came on the kayak, had to sand them down half a mm.

- dosnt have any easy access storage on the side like pockets for small hook boxes, pliers etc

Thanks. My condition necessitates that I have two forms of propulsion. Legs and arms. An electric motor would be cheating as I have to keep my strength up. I would need a kayak at least 3 plus metres long. and I certainly would not be standing up

1 hour ago, JimC said:

Thanks. My condition necessitates that I have two forms of propulsion. Legs and arms. An electric motor would be cheating as I have to keep my strength up. I would need a kayak at least 3 plus metres long. and I certainly would not be standing up

the kayak i mentioned is 3.2 meters, theres also a 4 meter version with a small live well i think. i dont stand ether but i guess its a nice bonus after sitting down for hours on end :D 

Most kayaks I have tried that have pedals generally don't paddle to well. The only one that comes to mind that does both OK is the Hobie Revo and being around 100kg I would be looking at the 13 foot model over the 11. 

With a bit of scouting around you should be able to find a decent second hand one and save a few bucks.

I'll PM you a retail outlet's details that could possibly help you get on the water and good advice.

1 hour ago, JimC said:

Thanks. I am at Sussex Inlet if that helps

The message should be in your inbox, I sent it this morning.

I saw you were from Sussex, I'm just up the coast a bit at Hyams Beach and the retailer is at Huskisson / Woolamia.

I won't mention there name here as thy aren't a site sponsor.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jim,

I started kayak fishing around 6 months ago and have been loving it. I bought a Kayaks2fish Nextgen 10, which is paddle only.  It weighs about 25kg and is fairly easy to load on the roof of my car, has good stability and seems to work well in the Hawkesbury and Middle Harbour. There are the usual rod holders, a comfortable seat and rudder straight from the store.  

If you are looking for an entry level yak that will let you know if you want to stick with the sport I would recommend the Nextgen 10 as its only $700.  I wouldn't take it offshore, but it is great in quieter waters.

Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, JimC said:

OK I have gone and done it. Picking up a Hobie P14 today. Should fit the requirements. Now to wait for this gale to drop. Thanks for advice. Jim

Very nice! looking forward to some reports of your yak adventures.

Cheers

Rah

7 hours ago, JimC said:

OK I have gone and done it. Picking up a Hobie P14 today. Should fit the requirements. Now to wait for this gale to drop. Thanks for advice. Jim

Awesome, they're one hell of a kayak.

I'm sure you'll be happy with how it performs on the water.

Since getting rid of my boat and spending all my time in the kayak, I have decided to fish without a fishfinder and rather enjoy choosing spots in St Georges Basin just by gut feeling and noting birds feeding on bait schools etc. Aside from the artificial reefs there's not a lot of structure in there to locate that needs pin point accuracy.