Metre Plus Kayak Jewfish

kingfish101

Set off midweek from Apple Tree Bay , before sunrise and with picturesque tendrils of 'sea smoke' on the water.

It's a 12 km paddle from the ramp to the Hawkesbury River proper and it takes me the best part of 3 hours to make the journey and catch some live mullet in the Bays for bait on route.

I use a copy of chart AUS204 to identify the holes and likely jewfish haunts and slow drift the areas with a heavy sinker close to the bottom and a long trace line to a circle hook. On this occasion the unfortunate mullet was around 15cm long and nose hooked.

Got the strike 1 hour before high water slack and the beast dragged me around for 15 minutes before I could use my short gaff on him.It is hard work in a skinny kayak to put the rod in the holder, grab the fish by the gills, cut the line and put the fish in the hatch but I did it without going for a swim and with no one around to see me make a mess of the operation. 

My last good jewfish was way back in May and I was beginning to think the fish had all left for the Winter.

P1010372.JPG

P1010375.JPG

P1010376.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

A golden day on the water and one which you will never forget too. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the post and the pictures cement the reality of a top effort all round. Keep it up, look forward to more of your successes being shared with us. Cheers, bn

Guest Guest123456789

Gee there are some excellent reports and captures coming through. IMO best report and capture of the year - well done 👏🥇

44 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

Gee there are some excellent reports and captures coming through. IMO best report and capture of the year - well done 👏🥇

A friend sent this to me. Caught in Lake Macquarie 15/8/19

jewie.thumb.jpg.bcb06ed75b8eea552afb7ce2126abd0a.jpg

Frank

Guest Guest123456789
7 hours ago, frankS said:

A friend sent this to me. Caught in Lake Macquarie 15/8/19

jewie.thumb.jpg.bcb06ed75b8eea552afb7ce2126abd0a.jpg

Frank

That’s the biggest Jew I’ve seen what did it weigh?