Swansea fish and new artifical reef

lakelad

Headed out yesterday for a mid morning fish, gentleman's hours around juggling some other commitments.

Such a cracker of a day, timed it well at the ramp with a few junk skis going in at thsi late hour but no delay for us and got offshore with no swell, some light chop and a light northerly blowing. The birds were flocking and chasing bait around the island first up but we couldn't get a hit trolling around divers and throwing blades so we anchored up on the sheltered side of moon and soon dragged in some Trevally, Wrasse, Red Rock Fish and a Port Jackson shark.

The wind abated and we were pleasantly surprised, so took off out to sea a little to a couple of spots a fellow raider shared for flathead. Well the flathead were definitely there, however in the 20cm size they were lining up to get onto my paternoster rig. After the wind came back an hour or so later to to ~15knts, the sea anchor couldn't keep us  slow enough, and a flathead spike to the finger (they hurt a lot for a small %%%%% hey?!) we decided it was time to head in.

I think a few local raiders will be interested to see the new artificial reef went in while we were out there.. it's in the spot as per the website below. and currently has a large yellow buoy attached. This will be great for those of us with small boats to try some new structure! https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/resources/artificial-reef/newcastle-offshore-artificial-reef

fad is in.jpg

FAD.jpg

flatty small.jpg

shark.PNG

• Like 1

great write up @lakeladand thanks for the info about the artificial reef.

I've never been out the heads from Swansea. Any tricks to worry about?

I had heard that there was always someone watching for non-lifejacket people crossing the bar.

No idea if it is true or not, I'd be wearing mine in any case.

• Like 1

@antonywardle yes there’s a few things to look for on the way out, but it’s fairly safe if you’re careful and go out in sensible conditions. One of the better bars. A decent tide runs, maybe 6 knots max at full capacity, which can create that washing machine effect, especially against a sea breeze. You can radio or phone the coast guard station there and ask conditions on the day, always worth a quick chat and costs nothing if there are concerning conditions. I always clock on and off with their mobile app rather than radio, it tracks you via gps also.

I sail yachts out of Lake Macquarie and we need to be more careful with the extra draft, which is mainly an issue bridge side of the channel in the sandy bottom but also on the heads side. There are waves on the northern side usually with any swell, but on the south side next to the bar there is a coal seam (right between the channel markers..) which I have hit on a yacht before (2.1m draft, 1-2 hours after high tide). So now we stick closer to the waves a little (northern side) in a yacht, but not too close! For fishing boats it doesn’t matter so much. On the rare occasion we have had to go past the bar and bring yachts into Newcastle due to conditions, but this is usually in a very large swell or northerly direction swell and is more to do with yacht draft in the troughs.

Yes I have also heard the life jacket rumour and always put one on, you can be seen via the coast guard tower. But to be fair and as you eluded to it’s a good idea anyway to have a jacket on in a smaller fishing boat when there is any seaway, very hard to swim in winter if you go overboard with all the warm gear on.

• Thanks 1

Life jackets are cumpulsory on bar crossings   the coastal patrol are on the nill directly above the bar   there are very distinct large cardinal markers to go uot and in by  they are mounted on poles in sunken breakwall in channell   they are lit at night  blue arrows   on good days stay north of coal seam reef   on really bad conditions if csught out  come in 20ft off southern breakwall   a small gutter runs along there   look on google   check surfcams for live vision of bar  its mounted on coastal patrol roof

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info about the Bars @rickmarlin62 and @lakelad

I'll have a go at that one one day, as it sounds like a better one to practice on, and now there is a new reef it might be a bit of fun to try a different area. I've fished for squid, bream and tailor in the lake a few times, but i like going offshore, even though I loose a few breakfasts!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jot said:

flathead carry their own "antidote" for spike injuries. Try rubbing the affected area on the slimy belly of the flathead. It eases the pain and swelling somewhat.

Jim

Wow, that’s great info Jim, will try not get spiked but if I do I’ll give it a go for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 8:58 PM, lakelad said:

@antonywardle yes there’s a few things to look for on the way out, but it’s fairly safe if you’re careful and go out in sensible conditions. One of the better bars. A decent tide runs, maybe 6 knots max at full capacity, which can create that washing machine effect, especially against a sea breeze. You can radio or phone the coast guard stationMARINE RESCUE WE ARE NOT AMERICAN lolololol