Best setup for long distance casting 40 - 60g lures

FrigateMack

I've got a 12' medium rod and a smaller Nasci, but not happy with how far I can cast. I can get maybe 80 meters with a good metal lure.  I usually use 15 pound line. I have a feeling the long rod actually doesn't help as it's got a fair bit of inertia so I waste energy in getting to just move. What are some good tips to get me past 100m? The school is always out of reach, lol. 

As xerotao says, plus get yourself some good quality 8 strand braid make sure your spool is full and join your leader with an FG knot.

Good distance casting is about selecting the ideal lure weight for the rod, and more about technique and timing rather than brute strength.

• Like 1

very few can cast 100m- go down to the footy oval and actually measure the distance you can cast, Number one thing to do is smooth out your technique, you say youve got a small Nasci eggbeater- what size?15lb braid or mono?if its mono you wont cast as far because its heavier and once a lot of line is off the spool it becomes harder for more to leave if you get my drift. I spent 25 years of my life chucking metal off the rocks (mainly with an overhead and various rods-FSU 4120, Syneder FT70-120 and my last stick was a CAlstar 900M , they were all 10 ft long and would hit 100M with a 65gm raider if I did everything right. I also have  an extended magsurf (extented to 10ft) that i use for light surf fishing and that will easily get a 40gm lure on 15lb braid 100 with a flick of the rod (its very tippy and needs a "snappier throw than the heavier overhead outfits)-it gets used with a eggbeater. Also have a look at your leader set ups-short leader with no knots going through the guides helps a lot

• Like 4