Trip to north haven

Alek

A friend and I decided to go on a fishing trip to the mid north coast. (Land based) We stayed at Dunbogan and the number of potential spots was outrageous! The locals were great help, and the people at the local tackle shop were simply amazing.

night 1 - we tried the breakwall on the dunbogan side. Caught a lot of port Jackson sharks and stingrays and had our lines cut off several times and we weren’t sure from what 

night 2 - north haven breakwall - plenty of huge runs and bust ups, only managing to bring in stingrays and port Jackson sharks.

After chatting to Brooke who was amazing help at North Haven tackle, we learned there’s a grey nurse shark breading ground just outside the break walls which explains the bust ups and she gave us plenty of spots! 

Night 3 - perpendicular point, just off the rocks on the western side. More luck here as we pulled out some huge tailor’s but again the biggest runs we had were port Jackson and a massive stingray! 

Night 4 - breakwall at port Macquarie. There was an abundance of life here as we got there in the late arvo, dolphins jumping, spotted a shark and saw plenty of decent size bait fish near the rocks but sadly no hook ups worth mentioning only another stingray! 

Night 5 - wharfs around dunbogan. Hooked up a shovel nose Shark and big stingray. Decided to get out the lure and I managed to catch my first fish on one which was a pretty big pike! 

We went up intending to do a lot of beach fishing and sadly did none of that! There were too many easily accessible land spots around. 

12ft beach rods with 30lb braid and 50lb braid with one rod rigged  running clip sinker to 1m 100lb trace and size 10 circle octopus hooks. The other rod set up with a patanosta rig. 

Fishing for jewfish but only one or two of the huge runs we lost gave any signal of being that. 

For bait, we were using frozen yakkas that we caught down in Sydney a few days before the trip, a couple of slimy mackerels and a Taylor or two live that we managed to catch during our session.

although we didn’t catch our target and land that first Jew, it was quite a fun trip but we are left wondering what can we improve to finally land the Jew.

in terms of times we were fishing, usually an hour or two before and after the night high tide, and one of the sessions just ended up being an all nighter all the way to the morning low tide which is when the tailor where on in very good numbers.

Cant wait to get back there for another trip and we’ll definitely be hitting up the beaches on that trip but if anyone has some advice based on what I’ve said, I’m all ears.

would also highly recommend this lovely part of nsw as it’s so tranquil and abundant of sea life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 12:56 PM, Alek said:

.... if anyone has some advice based on what I’ve said, I’m all ears.

would also highly recommend this lovely part of nsw as it’s so tranquil and abundant of sea life.

Hidden gem around there for sure... Shhhh!

I grew up on the mighty Camden Haven. Surfing, fishing, boating. Great times back in the 80s.

Next time try:

- North side off point perp, access via the low road down to pilot beach.

- North Haven breakwall down about half way between the beach car park and the big park down near the shop. There's a couple of under wall pipes that flood the back waters (where the green weed grows) and seems to attract fish on a run out tide.

- On Dunbogan side, you'll see Googleys run out, which is about opposite the stretch mentioned above on the North Haven side. It too produces on run out tide.

- Geebung out toward diamond head is a good beach spot. Seems to get good gutters and sand banks.

- North toward Bonny Hills, across road from the piggery, 4wd access track to midway on Grants Beach is also a good fishing spot. Gets good gutters.

- South side of diamond head, and surrounds to Kylie's is rugged but less fished and can produce.

- Around beaches north and south of 'middle rock' at the southern end of Lake Cathie township gets good gutters too.

Good luck!