Hayden rods?

Ryder

Hi Raiders,

I picked up a nice vintage rod today. It's a Sportex 525 blank with Hayden label. I haven't heard of them before and just wondering if anyone can fill me in.

Its new old stock, the shrink wrap is still on the cork grips. Just under 11ft it's built as a blackfish rod with 7 guides and the tip. The guides are all wire and the tip is a red and white Fuji.

I'm looking forward to trying it out in the harbour tomorrow.

IMG_2470.thumb.JPG.0c11561baf2ad3778e2e431c53adf664.JPG

IMG_2471.thumb.JPG.2bdde9cabff0aca69a17d253978ff83b.JPG

20 hours ago, Ryder said:

Hi Raiders,

I picked up a nice vintage rod today. It's a Sportex 525 blank with Hayden label. I haven't heard of them before and just wondering if anyone can fill me in.

Its new old stock, the shrink wrap is still on the cork grips. Just under 11ft it's built as a blackfish rod with 7 guides and the tip. The guides are all wire and the tip is a red and white Fuji.

I'm looking forward to trying it out in the harbour tomorrow.

IMG_2470.thumb.JPG.0c11561baf2ad3778e2e431c53adf664.JPG

IMG_2471.thumb.JPG.2bdde9cabff0aca69a17d253978ff83b.JPG

Nice find. Hayden's were a sports store in Merrylands that built rods - they were there when I was a kid through the '60s and 70's. I have a spin rod that my dad had built for me when I was about 12 or 13 so 1970 or thereabouts in the garage - it has the red and white Fuji runners on it that were popular around that time. Its unbranded so I don't remember if it came from Haydens or the other rod builder further down Merrylands Rd that was called Deveson's.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:46 PM, Ryder said:

Thanks for that Hill37373

I matched it with a vintage Trudex reel, it's a great combo. I managed to get 3 blackfish today, they were a bit touchy.

He was one of the best back then  .HE made  a lot of big game rods For Bob and Doley dyer        Remember   pick a box       :beersmile:

19 hours ago, chris b said:

He was one of the best back then  .HE made  a lot of big game rods For Bob and Doley dyer        Remember   pick a box       :beersmile:

MONEY or the box  What did you end up taking     :1pash: :depression:    🤑   :byebye: