Budgewoi beach

kingbonito

Went for a spin this morning off budgewoi beach caught a thumper salmon at 3 1/2 kg ! Also dropped about another 3. This was all in 1hour and left, I find salmon hard to keep on with all there jumping always spit the lure on me.. also went Norah head last night my misses caught some weird fish with big teeth and seen heaps of salmon jumping around but didn’t have my spinning gear .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

3.5kg is a real nice fish mate and would have fought well I imagine.

Below is how I rig my metals and lose far less salmon than the standard treble or a lone single hook.

20150909-P1010803.jpg

Single hook rig is the way to go either 1 or 2 like in photo above

Jim

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

3.5kg is a real nice fish mate and would have fought well I imagine.

Below is how I rig my metals and lose far less salmon than the standard treble or a lone single hook.

20150909-P1010803.jpg

Hi there Jim , have you ever had a split ring open  ?  if not what brand hook rig and split rings do you use ? thank you for your reply ,

That's actually my lure, not Jim's haha.

The split rings are either Owner or Decoy and although its hard to see in the pic the ring with the assist cord is solid. I've never had a split ring open on a rig like this as they are rated at 50 to 60lb and I'm only using 15lb braid. 

The hooks are Mustad hoodlums which have had the kirb taken out. The main reason for using a quality split ring is they are a finer gauge wire and the hoodlum hook eyes are rather small.

The lure is a 35g Surecatch Bishop, hooks 3/0 and #4 or 5 rings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

That's actually my lure, not Jim's haha.

The split rings are either Owner or Decoy and although its hard to see in the pic the ring with the assist cord is solid. I've never had a split ring open on a rig like this as they are rated at 50 to 60lb and I'm only using 15lb braid. 

The hooks are Mustad hoodlums which have had the kirb taken out. The main reason for using a quality split ring is they are a finer gauge wire and the hoodlum hook eyes are rather small.

The lure is a 35g Surecatch Bishop, hooks 3/0 and #4 or 5 rings.

very useful information , thank you .