Aird-x or bg4000 reel for $100 more?

chokpa

Been looking at getting a new reel as my trusty symetre is getting a bit run down.

I've seen the aird-x 4000 for about 79$ and the bg4000 for 179$. Both are within the budget but I'm looking for value. Can't find much in terms of reviews of the aird-x. Does anyone use one? Is the BG better value?

Using it mostly for rock fishing with bait and lures

The Aird X is a now discontinued model while the BG is current, hence the cheap price point of the Aird X.

On paper they are pretty comparable, the Aird actually has 9+1 BB over while the BG6+1 BB so the Aird imo would be a slightly smoother for that reason.

Both great value reels & if you your not concerned about having the newest shiny toy then why not save some coin for the rod by getting the Aird.

I have a BG4000 but for $79 Im keen on getting an Aird just to have in the cupboard for later on or put it on a new Egi rod I have coming.

Edited by kingie chaser

Was tempted with that Aird deal myself, been going for the last few weeks now. So far have resisted the urge. Have an Aird X 7 ft rod though and love it. The BG is an al frame reel, the Aird graphite or whatever. 

Edited by TAZ

A reel I have been super impressed with is the Okuma epixor xt series. You can get it from a shop us and shipped to here for about $80. They are not aluminium but have a super tough body, zero flex. Tackle advisors (prominent YouTube channel) rates them super high for performance but specifically line lay - which I agree has to be one of the best line lay on a reel I've seen. Goes up to a 50-size reel. 

3 hours ago, anthman said:

A reel I have been super impressed with is the Okuma epixor xt series. You can get it from a shop us and shipped to here for about $80. They are not aluminium but have a super tough body, zero flex. Tackle advisors (prominent YouTube channel) rates them super high for performance but specifically line lay - which I agree has to be one of the best line lay on a reel I've seen. Goes up to a 50-size reel. 

Hi mate. I got a relatively cheap Okuma a few years ago for bash around bait fishing. Still as good as day one and still has a very smooth drag and line roller still rolls freely. To be honest the drag impressed me from day 1. 

actually had a look at the aird lt (is this the new version of the X?) its actually 100g lighter but with double the drag (12kg) but also half the bearings..

will check out the Okuma epixor xt as well. does size 40 equal 4000 size for shimano/daiwa?

Edited by chokpa

Appreciate the tip off on cheap Airds. I have had one for 3 years, used weekly in salt not looked after caught many flathead to 91cm, snapper and yakkas. Bail arm has just started to get stiff/not returning properly but still usable and probably an easy fix with a clean and grease. Nice & light with reasonably smooth drag I like it and will get another at that price!

On 8/29/2019 at 3:52 PM, chokpa said:

actually had a look at the aird lt (is this the new version of the X?) its actually 100g lighter but with double the drag (12kg) but also half the bearings..

will check out the Okuma epixor xt as well. does size 40 equal 4000 size for shimano/daiwa?

"12kg drag on a 4000 LT reel" translates in my mind into: "4x more drag then I would reasonably use and if I did use it all, I'd likely snap the reel seat or something else on this relatively little reel". Also bearings don't mean too much - my 4000 sienna, with an incredible total of 2bearings feels incredibly smooth. My dad would attest to this smoothness as he has brought up legal kings on this reel. You really have to give a spin in your hands to see.

The key benefit is prob that it's 100g lighter - 380g vs 280g is very noticeable at that end. Worth noting the Okuma epixor xt 40 weights 304g.

Ive found size 40 in Okuma roughly translates into Shimano 4000 / Daiwa LT 3500 / Daiwa pre-LT 2500 sizing.

Edited by anthman

21 minutes ago, anthman said:

Also bearings don't mean too much 

Really 🙄

So the whole industry must be spinning us curve balls then :whistling:

I guess by that premise there is no difference between a Stella & a Sienna? 

Edited by kingie chaser

7 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Really 🙄

Fair point. My argument was in the context of the chokpa's range of reel that was being enquired into. I would like to point out where I said "You really have to give a spin in your hands to see."  - bearings as an indicator of smoothness and quality can't be taken on its own - the sienna is a great example of a very cheap entry level reel that, despite on paper specs, is an incredibly smooth and reliable reel. Comparing a Stella and a sienna isn't just about bearings, of course. To make that argument fairly, you'd have to consider EVERYTHING that makes it a much more expensive reel - ultra premium materials inside and out, innovative design, precise gearing, features exclusive for the model, extremely tight tolerances on all movements etc.... 

Perhaps I shouldve included a classic marketing trap in a china reels where they often quoten "10+1 bearings" but fail to mention the grindy gears and huge wobble that may interfere with the all that smoothness 10+1 bearings gives you (that's without getting into the quality of the bearings chose n).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Really 🙄

To me advertising the number of bearings in a fishing reel is a marketing gimic.

They never state what type of bearings are in the reel. is it stainless steel, is it china made? metal shielded, rubber shield or no shields?

There is a reason why ceramic bearings are 2x-3x the price of stainless bearings. Im sure 1 bearing in a shimano stella would cost more than a Sienna reel itself

Hi,

A couple more for you to think about.

Fin-Nor Lethal 100. 

Big Boss 3 6000.  New on the market  comes with 33lb drag also in 4000 and 8000.

You can buy these from Dinga Fishing at the right price.

Just remember Daiwa after sales service. There isn't any.

Cheers.