Working out tide times in open water

Fishop

I am trying to work out how to guess the approx tide times for locations offshore.  :

Is there any easy or rough guide to working this out?  ie the further east or north you go the later the tide time.???

For example, I live in Bowen, Qld.  Im trying to work out the tides near Holbourne island which is approx 30km north of Bowen.

If Bowen's low tide is at 1440, what would I expect the low tide time to be 30km north?   Is there a hard and fast rule or does it all depend on the position of the Sun and Moon at that time of year?

Abbot Point is approx 20km North West of Bowen.  Comparing the two tide tables, Abbot Point is between 0 and 15 minutes earlier than Bowen with tide changes but it changes throughout the year so I am guessing it does depend on where the sun and moon are on each particular day.

The reason I ask is that the fishing is excellent out at this location but is extremely hard when the tide is running and you are trying to get the bottom in 50m of water.  The fish also seem to like the slack tide.  Ive asked a few locals but surprise surprise, they either wont give me a straight answer or they dont want to tell me.  😂😂

Edited by Fishop

15 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi,

Have you ever asked the Weather Bureau in your area ?

I did years ago, because I couldn't get a straight answer.

They emailed me a map.

You can only try.

Cheers.

Weather Bureau as in the BOM?

23 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...fishop ive got willyweather app on my my phone,all you have to do is put the location you want in,and all the info you need is there.

I wasnt able to locate any spots offshore with willyweather.  It kept taking me back to Bowen.  Any ideas?

What I used to do ( if any help ) was add 2 minutes to every mile you are east of your location ( in your case Bowen ) say 1 minute for each Kilometre if you are 20 k's off the coast add 20 minutes earlier than Bowen time if 30 ks out add 30 minutes you won't be far wrong and after all what's a few minutes here or there fish perform around 3/4 - 1 hour either side of tide change so just get out there and fish. That was for south coast nsw , central Qld maybe slightly different.

Do you still get 4 tides a day ? OR just 2 like the cape ?.

Frank

22 hours ago, frankS said:

What I used to do ( if any help ) was add 2 minutes to every mile you are east of your location ( in your case Bowen ) say 1 minute for each Kilometre if you are 20 k's off the coast add 20 minutes earlier than Bowen time if 30 ks out add 30 minutes you won't be far wrong and after all what's a few minutes here or there fish perform around 3/4 - 1 hour either side of tide change so just get out there and fish. That was for south coast nsw , central Qld maybe slightly different.

Do you still get 4 tides a day ? OR just 2 like the cape ?.

Frank

Thanks Frank,

We still get 4 tides yes. 

I just had a play around with my navionics app and I may have found the answer.  The further north I go the earlier the tide is shown to change.  There were a bunch of tide markers way out in the reef and the further north I went the earlier the tide.  If I went east at all the tide time didn't change much at all.   Now just have to work out what 30 kms norths works out to in terms of the tide.

Thanks!!!