boat license

chris b

4 hours ago, antonywardle said:

as above. If your boat is capable of going faster than 0 knots, you're supposed to get it register too

So if the boat moves at faster then  1.152 MILES a hour it must be register I would think a row boat would go faster then that   :depression:

Hi @chris b, clearly@antonywardle  made a small typo. The rules when most of us on this site last looked were that If the craft is capable of going over 10kts it needs to be registered.  

I just checked and it seems to have been tightened up : powered craft with a motor 4kw (5hp) have to be registered. 

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/registration/get-nsw-registration.html

cheers Zoran 

55 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hi @chris b, clearly@antonywardle  made a small typo. The rules when most of us on this site last looked were that If the craft is capable of going over 10kts it needs to be registered.  

I just checked and it seems to have been tightened up : powered craft with a motor 4kw (5hp) have to be registered. 

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/registration/get-nsw-registration.html

cheers Zoran 

check that again  over 5 hp has to be reg

• Sad 1

@chris b, wasn't this covered in your pervious thread??

I think you might need to do some reading & or contact the RMS if you cannot understand information in the links.

I don't want to sound harsh but why is it you are against getting your license??

Edited by kingie chaser

22 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

@chris b you have already been provided the information in your previous thread which was closed.

I suggest if you have further questions you direct them to the RMS 🙄

Why don't you just get your license?

Not allowed to????

What for I have not got a boat Just good to know what you know:secret:

Edited by chris b
zzzz

On Wednesday at tafe the maritime office stated any vessel driven over 10 knots you need to be licenced, so as long as you keep your 450hp outboard bellow 10 knots you don't need a licence. 

Vessels with engines over 5hp need to be regestered, some small vessels are actually capable of going over 10 knots with a 5hp. 

A normal boat licence is pretty easy to get, my kids did theirs when they were 12.  Heading out on the water with 0 knowledge of the rules and regulations is like driving accross Sydney without having any clue what the lanes, signs and lights mean.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 3

Chris. A lot of members are becoming a little upset with the way you conduct yourself, quiet frankly you are acting like a spoilt little brat with little respect for what you are being told.

We all want to help you with any questions, and it's good to ask questions cause that's how you learn, but you need to show a little more respect for what you are being taught.

Lecture over and I will help in any way I can, but please use more manners in the way you reply.

Frank

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chris b said:

check that again  over 5 hp has to be reg

.....actually it says "Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5 horsepower)"

... so 4kw and greater.....which would equate to 5hp or greater ...

On 8/31/2019 at 9:17 PM, JonD said:

On Wednesday at tafe the maritime office stated any vessel driven over 10 knots you need to be licenced, so as long as you keep your 450hp outboard bellow 10 knots you don't need a licence. 

Vessels with engines over 5hp need to be regestered, some small vessels are actually capable of going over 10 knots with a 5hp. 

A normal boat licence is pretty easy to get, my kids did theirs when they were 12.  Heading out on the water with 0 knowledge of the rules and regulations is like driving accross Sydney without having any clue what the lanes, signs and lights mean.

Johnd - (WRONG) if a boat is capable of exceeding 10 knots it requires a licence driver on board -  

6 hours ago, Plethora said:

Johnd - (WRONG) if a boat is capable of exceeding 10 knots it requires a licence driver on board -  

Hey @Plethora that’s news to me - I understood it to be exactly as @JonD quoted. Would you have a link to the maritime or rms website that confirms what you’re saying - I have looked but can’t find it.

Many people have their partner or fishing buddy drop them off at the ramp while they get the car and then drive the boat to the trailer - often these folks are not licensed but I would have said since they are operating under 10kts its ok - if what you say is true it changes everything especially from an insurance perspective.  

Cheers Zoran 

Direct quote from RMS Handbook.

Anyone driving at 10 knots or more must be licenced.          paraphrased.

As far as boat rego the following applies

Powered vessel with engine of 4kw or 5 hp

Vessel over 5.5 m long must have rego

Any vessel on mooring or a marina berth must have rego

What i dont get in all of this is why the reluctance to just get a licence- solves all the probs, and it s not that expensive- 100% agree with Jon, there are a whole bunch of numpties out there who dont even realise that there are rules that are in place  for boats and boating and that theyve been in place for far longer than the rules for cars and driving. Just do it!

9 hours ago, Plethora said:

Hi Plethora,

Firstly, I'm curious where you got your information from as I'm with @JonD on this one. That is in NSW if you are driving a boat under 10 knots you do not need a licence. Specifically "To drive a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waterways at a speed of 10 knots (18.5 km/h) or more, you need a general boat driving licence. You need a personal watercraft (PWC) driving licence to drive a PWC at any speed". See: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/licence/boat-pwc/index.html

In Queensland as I found out from one of my QLD co-workers needing a licence depends on motor power. Specifically "You must have a marine licence to operate a boat that has an engine power greater than 4.5kW". See https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/boating/licences/recreational

Regards, Derek

19 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey @Plethora that’s news to me - I understood it to be exactly as @JonD quoted. Would you have a link to the maritime or rms website that confirms what you’re saying - I have looked but can’t find it.

Many people have their partner or fishing buddy drop them off at the ramp while they get the car and then drive the boat to the trailer - often these folks are not licensed but I would have said since they are operating under 10kts its ok - if what you say is true it changes everything especially from an insurance perspective.  

Cheers Zoran 

JonD

From the NSW Licences and registration page 7

• Drive any vessel, other than a PWC, at a speed of 10 knots or more: – Without the holder of a general boat driving licence who is 16 years of age or older being present in the vessel, or – Between sunset and sunrise, or – While the vessel is towing anyone.