Sign in to follow this  
motiondave

Fish Id please (Eastern Blue Groper and Crimson Banded Wrasse)

Question

Hello good people, I caught and released these two this afternoon whilst fishing, they appear to be part of the cod species, caught in a bay near Sydney Harbour,  but I cannot find a direct name for them.

Would anyone know what they are please? they both went over the 30cm mark and fought like a freight train on acid.

Thanks, David.

cod1.jpg

cod2.jpg

Edited by Blackfish

8 answers to this question

First one is a Groper (actually a species of Wrasse), in the brown version - female.

Can also be blue in colour - male.

Second one looks like a male Crimson Banded Wrasse. 

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yowie said:

First one is a Groper, in the brown version (can also be blue in colour)

little groper? cool, what about the 2nd? wrasse?

Groper and Crimson Banded Parrot fish, neither are great eating, not bad, but just bland.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

Groper and Crimson Banded Parrot fish, neither are great eating, not bad, but just bland.

ok cool, thanks for the ID, as for eating, it seems to be personal preference when it comes to fish . Not that Ive eaten anything Ive caught lately, just tossed back. 

Spot on  juvenile female blue groper (brown) and male crimson banded wrasse   not parrotfish

• Like 1

Sorry, I just quoted the common name, not the "real" name.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, motiondave said:

ok cool, thanks for the ID, as for eating, it seems to be personal preference when it comes to fish . Not that Ive eaten anything Ive caught lately, just tossed back. 

Groper are OK to eat, big white flakes, big bones, but that's where it ends, they have almost no taste at all, perfect for people who don't like fish, the Crimson Banded Wrasse is similar, big heavy scales, tough skin, white flesh and no taste.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, noelm said:

Groper are OK to eat, big white flakes, big bones, but that's where it ends, they have almost no taste at all, perfect for people who don't like fish, the Crimson Banded Wrasse is similar, big heavy scales, tough skin, white flesh and no taste.

That's cool. As mentioned, each to their own. Bloke I work with loves eating groper, wrasse and Aussie salmon. 

I'm a flathead, bream, whiting eater mostly....when I can catch the damn things😂