Battery Box kill switch - Deep Drop electrics wiring

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

So I finally went and bought myself the last bit of gear I was missing to complete my arsenal - a Tanacom Bull 1000 deep drop set up.... lets say it was a father's day present to my self.  Here's the goods:

image.png.31e9e9f89ab5fa383dc01104e7183c74.png

The supplied power cables came with battery clips,  and I wanted a solution that exposed the battery terminals without me having to undo and redo the battery box each time - so I came up with what you see in this post.  There's probably something like this modified battery box already available in the market but this was a simple mod that others may consider for similar power requirements.

With a bit of research  I found these IP67 waterproof circuit breaker kill switches on eBay (around $14) -

image.png.18b05a9e782c84c5202ead5fe8a719d4.png

Following pictures tell the story:

In the next picture you can see the modified battery box lid. Showing positive and negative stainless steel posts. Kill switch easily accessible to isolate the positive when the power is not required - hot glued waterproof seals on cable entry and exit. The stainless steel o-ring provides an attachment point - so an inadvertant pull on  the reel cable wont pull the clips off the terminals - the white plastic is a clip that will be cable-tied to the reel cable.

image.thumb.png.da153a800e8b10a18dd8a62559846eef.png

Here's a view of the underside showing the wiring: although the isolator switch already had a 100A Circuit Breaker that was a bit too much current for the Tanacom Bull which has a max draw of 30A so I have added a 30A fuse to basically restrict any current flow out of this box to 30A. The switch is now just a switch.

image.png.925ae0c97546231a79cc551c2f37fc0a.png

And here is the finished installation. I use petroleum jelly liberally smeared over all terminals and fuse connections. I find it does the job of keeping moisture and corrosion at bay - but most importantly it is a hell of a lot cleaner than regular grease.

image.png.26be7e57c7fcbb0914f8bebfc5ebbb59.png

All connected up, kill switch in off position.

image.png.55f6f0e4197a643d95bc0d7dccefbc5f.png

image.png.61396f4883e5fc8a0fc47df63767cac3.png

So this is battery 3 in my set up. I chose it as the reel's electrical connection point as it was closest to the port rod holder where I plan to use the electric reel (the starboard rod holder better suits my Alvey ReefKing deep drop rig which I still plan to use for that upper body workout).  Battery 3 can be used in isolation of the other batteries to just run the electric reel, however I plan to run with either batteries 1+3, or 2+3 online for my deep drop outings (that approach always leaves one fully charged battery in reserve should anything untoward happen).

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 4

Thanks Jason. At present I use lengths of 30mm reo bar.  20-30cm with a coat hanger wire loop tied to one end. 

I have about 15 of these ready to go made up from construction site off cuts that a few of my buddies sourced for us. 

Cheers Z

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks Jason. At present I use lengths of 30mm reo bar.  20-30cm with a coat hanger wire loop tied to one end. 

I have about 15 of these ready to go made up from construction site off cuts that a few of my buddies sourced for us. 

Cheers Z

Hi tech! :unsure:

• Like 1

Zoran you should be fine-I cant say ive done a huge amount of deep dropping but one of the key things (and ive only done it on other boats) is that you need to keep backing up into the current/sea so you stay directly over your bait (you can only imagine the belly you could get otherwise)- so you wont be turning the motor off anyway!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dmck said:

Hi tech! :unsure:

Hahaha... yup. Super hi tech - I believe in the KISS principle ... and this one does the job at the right price ! 

7 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Zoran you should be fine-I cant say ive done a huge amount of deep dropping but one of the key things (and ive only done it on other boats) is that you need to keep backing up into the current/sea so you stay directly over your bait (you can only imagine the belly you could get otherwise)- so you wont be turning the motor off anyway!

Very true @PaddyT. At Brown's Mt depths you have to try and stay on top of the rig.  I'm not new to deep drops ... just new to owning my own electric rig.  I like my Alvey Reef King (indestructible) but my mates hate it - to the point they don't want to go deep dropping ... they have medical reasons, shoulder issues and such and I'm pushing on in years so it was the right time to invest in the outfit.  Here's a shot from the past where I out-fished a friend's Miya Epoch with the Alvey...

image.png.5272ac4be37dab0e3e5fa2b5cae37dea.png 

6 hours ago, Fab1 said:

You always do a good job Z. Well done!!

Thanks so much Fabian ! ...  means a lot from someone as precise as you mate. 

BTW, since I have set up the battery power supply, spooled the reel and sourced the bait ...it seems I may have somehow inadvertently upset the weather gods ---  the conditions have really turned nasty  so I'm still waiting for the opportunity to head out ... 

image.png.03104bcf5a1a3b6884c7fe7207e022a2.png

Bah humbug ... 😡

Cheers Z

• Like 1

• zmk1962 changed the title to Battery Box kill switch - Deep Drop electrics wiring