Ramsgate Beach 5 September 2019

LandBasedKeith

I haven't seen much fishing report being submitted recently! Is it because of the poor and cold weather, fish is scarce hence nothing to report!? I myself haven't been out for a while. Anyway... i better play my part and make my contribution...

The weather finally warm up a bit. Has to get out. Planned to get to Ramsgate beach by 7am at low tide to pick up some seaweed off the rock. Had a late night, just couldn't get up even with the help of the alarm clock. Didn't get to Ramsgate until 10:30am at mid tide. I did managed to get some string weed but at the cost of wet feet, socks and shoes. The weather is great - nice and warm, and slight wind only. Water is clear without those garbage weed floating about. Caught my first blackfish on the first cast (float rig with double hook). Afterward, just mainly enjoying the nice weather and waiting patiently for the next bite. High tides at 1pm and since most weed are now accessible to the blackfish. I don't think they would be interested in the tiny weed on my hook anymore hence time to pack up and go home. Anyway, i ended up with 4 blackfishes between 30cm-34cm.   

It is going to be very windy and possibly shower in the next few days. I am not that keen when the wind keeps blowing sands into my mouth hence no more fishing until next Wednesday.

2095973678_IMG_33021.thumb.JPG.b8fd4b783b4cbcf7827e77ae2205ca25.JPG

• Like 5

Hi @LandBasedKeith

I live around the area (Rockdale) and I am interested in fishing for blackfish. Are the string seaweed at every groyne in Ramsgate or is there a particular groyne?

I also tried using prawn and pilchard at high tide in ramsgate last week and didnt get any bites. Do you know if any other species are in Ramsgate? 

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, eladamrine said:

Hi @LandBasedKeith

I live around the area (Rockdale) and I am interested in fishing for blackfish. Are the string seaweed at every groyne in Ramsgate or is there a particular groyne?

I also tried using prawn and pilchard at high tide in ramsgate last week and didnt get any bites. Do you know if any other species are in Ramsgate? 

Thanks. 

Hi Eladamrine,

Not on the groyne and if there are, they are not long enough. The string weed are on the rocks underneath the foot path.  I got my near the 'Omeros On The Beach' restaurant. Recently i fish on the groyne to the right of Omeros just for convenience as it is close to my parked car. All groynes hold blackfishes as far as i know. First rising mid tide are the best time for blackfish.

As with other species of fishes:

Trevally - heard nothing since 2 months ago - use bread for bait

Whiting - heard nothing since 3 months ago - use nippers for bait

Tailor - nothing since last summer - pilchard and hard body surface lure.

Salmon, Kingfish and Jewfish on several occasion when there are lots of good size bait fish(yellowtail scad and garfish)  about. 

Flathead - again not much since last summer. They are still about but in smaller number and size.

Sometime leather jack close to the groyne if you use prawn pieces with long shank hook that is if you can avoid those pesky little wrasse.

Legal size bream are rare for me and they are by product when i fish for bait fish.

When there are no fish, there are always some rays and Port Jackson about especially if you use pilchard.

When i am really bored and keep busy, i'll catch a dozen or so of those pesky little sweeps for fun. They are good eating if you deep fry them bones and all. No size limit i believe. You can found them at the platform to left of the Omeros.

Cheers,

PS. Remember to bleed the fish you are keeping and release those you are not. Watch out for size and bag limit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @LandBasedKeith that's a really helpful post you've shared! When fishing the groynes for luderick, apart from fishing a rising mid tide, do you have any other tips? Like, does it matter which side of the ground you cast on, how far out you cast from the ground, how far down the ground you travel (for deeper water) etc...

Also, have you had any luck there with the cabbage style weed?

13 hours ago, anthman said:

Thanks @LandBasedKeith that's a really helpful post you've shared! When fishing the groynes for luderick, apart from fishing a rising mid tide, do you have any other tips? Like, does it matter which side of the ground you cast on, how far out you cast from the ground, how far down the ground you travel (for deeper water) etc...

Also, have you had any luck there with the cabbage style weed?

String weed work best here. Someone once told me string weed is for the river or estuary and cabbage weed is better for open ocean rock. 

Since it is moving water, burleying may and may not help. It may attract the fish toward you, it may also pull the fish away from you depends on the current flow. I found fishing with friends is best as their weeds in the water acts as burley.

Wind and current flow direction effect how you fish. Direction going out is best if you want to relax. On the contrary, if you fish against the current and direction, you will be forever busy casting out or risk snag the seaweed and rock at the groyne. Hence wind direction and current flow play a big part at where you cast your float\weed.

Sometime you had to cast everywhere(near, far, left and right) to find the fish. If your weed get taken in certain spot, keep casting to that same spot will almost guarantee a hookup eventually. Further hookup may meant you had found a school of fish otherwise you had already caught the lone fish:( 

If a certain groyne yield good return , stick to that groyen.

6 hours ago, lakelad said:

@LandBasedKeithgreat report mate. I've seen a few posts related to blackfish this winter I bought some floats and hooks recently but am yet to try it.. do you have any tips on how to put the weed on the hook and how much weed to use?

Use uni-knot and leave a shot tag end(3-4mm). Braid the string weed 1-2 time above the tag end, then braid the rest onto the hook.  Cover as much of the hook as possible except barb and point. Enough weed to cover the hook but at the same time, small enough so the blackfish can suck in both weed & hook in one go. No bite may mean not enough weed or no fish. Failed hookup may mean too much weed or the weed failed to cover the whole of the hook. Hope this help.

uniknot-3.thumb.jpg.e842de5cc9205668c1f61fe328b7aef7.jpg

• Thanks 1