Golden Days

T_Bert83

With the close of cod season and the warmer weather starting to be more frequent it was time to test the waters of Windamere to see if the yellas have started to move shallow. 

Arriving at first light it was clear to see the dam had dropped considerably since I was there last. 

CD016BBA-31AF-4584-9D80-2F7273A74BED.thumb.jpeg.05360551157bdd385dcf534fa5e06011.jpeg

Starting the morning fishing the transition from a steep rock wall to a more gentle sloping bank the first fish a nice 55cm model hit the deck within minutes. No more action from this spot despite seeing a few fish cruising on the sounder.  

Moving onto the next spot a small rocky point where a couple more fish hit the net coming from under a tree on the side of the point. 

The next point again produce a couple of fish from under a tree on the side of a gentle sloping point. 

A bit of a pattern had emerged the fish were on points as expected but appeared to be relating to timber. 

The next few spots either produced nothing or single fish showing the fish haven’t moved in shallow in big numbers just yet. At least not where I was fishing.

One thing I did notice was the lack of fish cruising in deeper water off the points like you see when they are there in big number. 

It was good to dust off the light gear and put the heavy swimbait rods down for a while. We managed 10 fish by 1130 and struggled to boat another 3 fish for the afternoon with the strong wind making conditions tough. 

The plan had been to try a few different techniques to see what the fish would react too. It soon became clear that the ever reliable Zerek Fishtrap or Jackall  Transam were the lures to stick with accounting for 12 of our 13 fish the other fish was a suspended fish caught on a black gulp grub. 

It was a fun day out and As the water temps start warming the fishing should only get better.

• Like 7

Neil and Rick. I would be up for a trip to Windy and Neil you could share my boat so no need to you to drag your boat up . I just bought a new 180 amp hour battery for the electric so should get a couple of days on the single charge.

Frank

Hi guys, I have never been to Windy but one of many places I have always wanted to fish , Is there cabins there to stay in ? getting a bit long in the tooth and like a bit of comfort in my old age.

Frank

OK I got onto the web site. Cabins available.

Edited by frankS

So is anybody else up for a trip to Windamere (near Mudgee, NSW) about 11th - 14th November to target Yellowbelly?

Please indicate your interest here and we'll see what eventuates. 

So far... myself, FrankS, Ricmarlin (possible),T_Bert83 (possible).

Cheers, bn