Persistence through the winter months

Berrero

Howdy Raiders!

As I'm sure some of you are aware this winter just gone was terribly rough in Sydney for catching fish.  Nonetheless I made regular time during the week to get out and fish, worked on my technique, scouted new locations, worked on improving my knots, etc. The fish were definitely few and far between and never really had any cracker days out to make into a fishing report. Understand this format is a bit out of the ordinary for a fishing report, admins feel free to move if necessary. :)

I've taken a real shine to the youtuber sand flats fishing australia and his techniques on chasing flatheads with lures. I've learned a lot of info from his videos over the last 3-6 months and I'm now happy to say that flathead are my favourite chase species.

All caught on either stradic ci4+ 1000 with 6lb braid / 6lb fc leader or stradic ci4+ 2500 8lb braid / 10-12 fc leader, both used on my 2-4kg 7ft savage gear rod.

All flathead pictured were 50cm+ with the largest bang on 60cm (current p.b)

Bonus carp picture that I caught while on holidays in the hunter valley. Never really fished fresh water before, had no idea what I was doing, just throwing around random lures and managed to hook up on this guy. Very fun on 6lb gear and some say he even looks a bit like me.......

Tight lines

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

(I have size 13 feet 😛)

4.jpeg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Berrero
  • Like 6

Welcome to the forum Berrero and well done on the first post too. How satisfying for you that you have learned these particular skills and put them into practice with some success. That's what fishing is all about...challenging yourself. Will look forward to reading some more of your successes. Cheers, bn

Sand flats fishing is a great YouTube channel - I really want to catch whiting as easily as he does on small surface lures.

This winter season has been pretty average for myself as well - bust ups have started so looking forward to a great summer season of fishing!

On 9/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, Rebel said:

Great report and photos

Thanks mate!

On 9/7/2019 at 6:25 PM, big Neil said:

Welcome to the forum Berrero and well done on the first post too. How satisfying for you that you have learned these particular skills and put them into practice with some success. That's what fishing is all about...challenging yourself. Will look forward to reading some more of your successes. Cheers, bn

Looking forward to posting a fair few more reports now that the fish are coming back on :)

On 9/7/2019 at 6:33 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

Done well to catch a carp on a lure  kudos

No idea what I was doing, threw around a few different kinds of lures and got him on a squidgies slick rig.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:48 PM, jnrfinatic said:

Well done mate. Some good size lizards there!  

Adem 

Thanks, plenty more <50cm but don't usually take photos of those ones

13 hours ago, anthman said:

Sand flats fishing is a great YouTube channel - I really want to catch whiting as easily as he does on small surface lures.

This winter season has been pretty average for myself as well - bust ups have started so looking forward to a great summer season of fishing!

I know EXACTLY what you mean, he seems to just pull those elbow slappers out of nowhere. I've tried a few times but sadly I've given up and accepted the fact that it's too hard land based in Sydney. Will try to get out on a boat a few times once the topwater season fires up again

• Like 1

Great report @Berrero, quality fish (the flatty would look better against my size 10 shoes though).

I've got some great tips which helped me get more fish from YouTube also. I'll check out sand flats fishing Australia now for sure!

You certainly don't need a record session to lodge a fishing report, else I'd not have lodged any reports 😂!

Edited by lakelad
typos..
  • Like 1