Mitchell 489 bail or bailess?

Johnny99

Hi I have a old Mitchell 489 reel with a broken bail. The main bail screw bolt has a snapped head and the torsion spring is out of shape and lost it’s spring. As parts are not available in Oz I am currently trying to locate a bolt that may fit and also see if I can get a local manufacturer to make me a new spring. Does anyone know of spares that may be available for this model in Oz ? (I’ve tried most outlets in Sydney but no luck)

Also does anyone know how to do a DIY conversion to a bailess setup as used in the USA? I have seen online kits sold in the US for Penn reels but have not come across any here 

cheers Johhny99

just did a quick search on FB and there seem to be a couple of pages there that specifically cater towards old Mitchell Reels- good luck, had an old 499 back in the day, also Fish On at Blacktown has an old reel collection , he may well be able to point you in the right direction.

The 499 Mitchel was a great reel in its day, very simple drag, but they used to chatter once they got a bit of wear, they brought out the 499pro to fix the problem, I used them almost exclusively for Snapper and did a lot of jigging with them too.

15 hours ago, Johnny99 said:

Thanks PaddyT. 

Will check out. I see the 499 was I think a bailess model. How did you find using this setup?

Tough, very heavy, pretty average drag- much better reels out their today, there is a knack to casting the bailarm less model- you need to stop the rotor rotating when you cast other wise it grabs the line on its way out and "whamo"" you get a short cast or crack the lure off.

IMG_2499.JPG.d90d4bf42217dea5611a5bda633e0e66.JPGHi Johnny,

I've posted a link to this forum before, and one to Fishraider on theirs, they were very helpful. http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/search.php?keywords=489+bail&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&sid=6026d2c4804864cde8a4e8d30a3d1e3b&submit=Search

The guy who did this lives in OZ you could email him

Edited by Ryder
Added photo