Where to get good kind of cheaper boats?

JamoDamo

I know this is pretty out of reach for me considering i am in high school but where would i be able to get like a decent kind of cheaper side boat. I know that boating is a very expensive hobby but i thought i might as well ask. I saw gumtree, facebook marketplace and ebay for decent boats. They were a good price for boats ie 5k for trailer, motor and accessories. The reason i am asking is my parents are interesting in getting a tinny centre console or side. Just something that is kind of high off the water so that it isn't just a river boat but can go around on the inshore reefs on a good day of course. I saw one for 5k with a kill tank, bait tank, motor, trailer fishfisher etc. Although that was a while ago i would assume there is a gold mine around there somewhere... 

Thanks, JamoDamo

I like gumtree and personally I prefer to buy from more mature owners. Seriously consider buying with the intention of repowering.  Many boat sellers in the cheapy market have run the same motor for 10 + years and are upgrading or selling due to not using. You could get lucky but any older outboard can turn into a $$$$ anchor and ruin the experience. Use this as a bargaining tool and you can get a decent boat and trailer for 2k or less. Save your $'s and run the motor keeping an eye out for a good deal on a newer model motor, have cash ready and be quick to view/purchase. Good luck with it 

Gumtree is the way to go - browse a few and go visit some that tick the feature list that you are after. bring a friend who owns a boat - there are so many things that you just won't know to look for unless you've owned a boat. Read up on checklists - you'll start to form a view on what you want, usable floor space, condition etc... The suggestion above about repowering is a good one - you'll need to get a sense of the size of motor (target horsepower) that you'd likely settle on and start getting a sense of the market price for a new motor of that power - this will be the minimum difference you'd need to recuperate (less some for the existing motor on the boat). 

Lastly, look up some of the boat buying/selling etiquette - will help you get the most out of each interaction (even if you don't buy, youll learn useful info).

Plenty more tips out there, but feels like you are in the discovery phase of your purchase for now - have a look around in the boat sub-forum.

Good luck!

bought mine on gumtree 4.5 qunnie s/c reef raider all refirbed in 2007 wth 50 toh and an 18 toh

all in good condition new colour sounder/ plotter ect paid 6k safty gear included

took it out first time leaked like a sive loots of water in boat.took it home put lots of rain water from our tanks in it found the leak the two bungs were pop riverted to the hull one each side broken and no sealer so lots of sicafelx 3 new alloy sealed pop riverts all good now