1 PB Squid = 2 PB Kings

The Rev

I went out Friday morning on Sydney Harbour to both chase the schools of Salmon that were meant to be around plus put a few more hours on the new Suzuki 50 4 stroke purchased at the Sydney Boat show.  First stop was a trip to wreck off Quarantine Point to get some livies but could only manage small trevally - all thrown back in.  

Headed off to try my luck on squid and managed a PB Squid for Sydney Harbour.

Drovd then up towards the bridge from the heads and located some schools of surface feeding fish, but with the wind up it was nigh impossible to cast to any of them.  So off for a morning coffee at Chowder Bay before heading to try my luck on kings with the Squid.  

After driving to a spot I know I put down the Squid head on one rod and a large strip on the other and then waited.  And waited.  I threw some plastics.  Slow jigged. And waited.  Just I was about to pack up and head back to Manly the 10000 Saragosa went off with the rod bent over and the tip in the water.  I reach down to pick it up and am struggling to hold it when the 8000 Baitrunner goes off on the other side of the boat.  I manage to reach over, rod in one hand and turn the handle to click it into gear.  It’s now hooked up solid.

Back to fish no 1 - I manage to eventually get it to the boat and gaff it, lay the fish and rod down behind me , then pick up the other rod and bring in  fish no2  which I also landed.  Result... 1 PB Squid turned into 2 * PB 90cm kings!

Happy with that,  I drove back to Manly ramp one happy fisherman!

The Rev

806C6B90-E4DE-4B8D-B2C0-5F7ABCAFD9E2.jpeg

• Like 20

23 hours ago, The Rev said:

I went out Friday morning on Sydney Harbour to both chase the schools of Salmon that were meant to be around plus put a few more hours on the new Suzuki 50 4 stroke purchased at the Sydney Boat show.  First stop was a trip to wreck off Quarantine Point to get some livies but could only manage small trevally - all thrown back in.  

Headed off to try my luck on squid and managed a PB Squid for Sydney Harbour.

Drovd then up towards the bridge from the heads and located some schools of surface feeding fish, but with the wind up it was nigh impossible to cast to any of them.  So off for a morning coffee at Chowder Bay before heading to try my luck on kings with the Squid.  

After driving to a spot I know I put down the Squid head on one rod and a large strip on the other and then waited.  And waited.  I threw some plastics.  Slow jigged. And waited.  Just I was about to pack up and head back to Manly the 10000 Saragosa went off with the rod bent over and the tip in the water.  I reach down to pick it up and am struggling to hold it when the 8000 Baitrunner goes off on the other side of the boat.  I manage to reach over, rod in one hand and turn the handle to click it into gear.  It’s now hooked up solid.

Back to fish no 1 - I manage to eventually get it to the boat and gaff it, lay the fish and rod down behind me , then pick up the other rod and bring in  fish no2  which I also landed.  Result... 1 PB Squid turned into 2 * PB 90cm kings!

Happy with that,  I drove back to Manly ramp one happy fisherman!

The Rev

806C6B90-E4DE-4B8D-B2C0-5F7ABCAFD9E2.jpeg

Great fish mate. Rev because you like going fast or an actual Rev?

Guest Guest123456789

Good measures of skill, hard work and luck to manage not one but two great fish and a nice squid to boot. Congratulations and thanks for the report.

Did you manage to salvage the squid from the guts?

On 9/10/2019 at 8:01 AM, anthman said:

Well done! Was the bustup a big one? Did you see any other surface activity?

Hi there - the bust ups weren't that big that I saw. They were down towards the bridge - but that was last week so the schools have probably moved around.  Just look for the bids working the area and you will find the fish.   No busts up for these Kings though - I waited with the fresh squid baits set at about 12 metres depth at my new secret spot!

9 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Good measures of skill, hard work and luck to manage not one but two great fish and a nice squid to boot. Congratulations and thanks for the report.

Did you manage to salvage the squid from the guts?

I think from memory that the squid was still in the mouth attached to the hook when I got them in - but after getting the daily double I packed up and went home and through the used bait overboard!