First time Camping

Jay88

Hi All,

Hope everyone has been well. I have not really had much time to post in ages but have kept up to date with some exciting posts from other members. :)

I have in 10 years not once taken time of in Christmas and always worked through the shut down. In my current role, I have  decided to take 4 days off in the Christmas week.

In saying that, I have never been camping, and would like to experience a "friendly/beginner" camping experience with the ability to be able to fish! All night...all day...who knows... I live in Sydney, NSW. Any locations anyone can recommend where throwing in a line while camping might not completely be a waste of time? Thanks

Regards,

Jay

For fresh water Lake StClair up past Singleton is reasonably priced camping with good amenities , Bass is the main species and you can fish from shore with a good chance of catching something. IF you have a boat it is better and a huge expanse of water to explore. For salt water the choices would be unlimited but most camp sites are a bit pricey.

Frank

• Like 1

Hi Jay, its a hard time of year as it is school holidays & every man, women, child, family is trying to do the same thing.

If coastal all I can say is book early & put up with the crowds, it is what it is!

Fresh water lakes, rivers, streams are probably a less restrictive proposition which there are many options.

Lake Jindabyne/Eucumbene might be worth a go & you get to see some good country on the journey as well.

Yeh its a tough call at that time of year, that's why I take holidays in February when all the kids & adults have gone back to work :whistling: 

Depending on how far you want to drive, Narooma is pretty hard to beat, family friendly, you can walk almost anywhere you want to go (there is a decent hill in the town though) good caravan park right on the water with everything from tent sites to full on luxury cabins, easy family fishing, or more experienced fishers too.

It honestly Comes down to how far you want to escape the rat race of syd and also, do you want to be in a secluded place camping or do you want to camp in a caravan park, and how close do you want to be to the water or would you prefer to camp and walk on a little hike or not to get to wet a line. If caravan park style i have been to many, busy around xmas though, but good if you have kids. or if you want a bit of serenity and the fishing isn't that fantastic, but heaps of play room for kids to run wild and hardly any people, head up the coast to some of the national parks such as Myall Lakes and then its just a little drive upto Forster if you want some decent fishing. send me a pm @Jay88, over the last couple of years have gone to many places with and without my kids around that holiday period but always somewhere to chuck a line in. 

Agree with the above comment that every man and his dog will be doing the same around the Xmas period. Camp grounds resemble refugee camps with tents, trailers and caravans crammed side by side. Getting a site normally means booking well ahead.

Im on the far south coast ( Narooma area) where there are plenty of options for camping and almost guaranteed beach catches of salmon, tailor and gummies depending on the moon phase. There are beaches you can often have all to yourself as most tourists seem to flock together!!!...there are even a few semi secret little spots people camp outside of camping sites. If you do think of heading to this part of NSW I will post more details.

3 hours ago, Jay88 said:

Thanks for the replies guys! 

I was thinking The Basin? Was wanting to chase some flatty, bream, maybe a jewie if lucky? lol

My mate got a spot in the campgrounds

If you have a boat, practise your on water reverse parking. The Basin gets pretty crowded that time of year.

Seriously though, if you get up real early to beat the masses, there's still some good fish landed in there at that time of year.

On 9/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, Rebel said:

Hi,

I go to LAKE Conjola and Narooma, the kids love it. And great fishing aspecially Lake Conjola.

Cheers.

When did you last fish at Lake conjola? I've been there past two summers and its been pretty grim. 

Especially last summer, the stench of the lake was really bad...