motiondave

bilge pump or not to bilge pump.....

Hello good people, hopefully someone can advise as RMS is only going by the books.

Bilge pump, from what I understand, is when you have a floor area under the main floor in the boat, that has access hatches, and you require a bilge pump to get rid of excess water.

My runabout, Pongrass Surfmaster, has a very shallow floor area, so to speak under main floor, but it is sealed up and has its own bung drain, of which there is almost never any water in it (how it gets in is weird...) , so if that underfloor area were to fill, it would not sink the boat, but just make it sit a bit lower in the water.

I have a bailing bucket already in the boat if, goodness forbid, it suddenly starts flooding.

So, apart from the straight rules that RMS says, do I still need a bilge pump? it would only activate by manual control and if there is about 2-4 inches water in the boat anyway.

By that time , Im already bailing water by hand and heading back to shore.

Cheers, David Lane.

And the day you forget the bung? You will wish you had an bilge pump-I love them so much I have 2 in my 5.4 M CC- but seriously answer is yes get one, preferebly 2

• Thanks 1

Any boat been be swamped. 

Never ever heard any one say they regretted installing a bilge pump

• Like 2

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

Hello good people, hopefully someone can advise as RMS is only going by the books.

Bilge pump, from what I understand, is when you have a floor area under the main floor in the boat, that has access hatches, and you require a bilge pump to get rid of excess water.

My runabout, Pongrass Surfmaster, has a very shallow floor area, so to speak under main floor, but it is sealed up and has its own bung drain, of which there is almost never any water in it (how it gets in is weird...) , so if that underfloor area were to fill, it would not sink the boat, but just make it sit a bit lower in the water.

I have a bailing bucket already in the boat if, goodness forbid, it suddenly starts flooding.

So, apart from the straight rules that RMS says, do I still need a bilge pump? it would only activate by manual control and if there is about 2-4 inches water in the boat anyway.

By that time , Im already bailing water by hand and heading back to shore.

Cheers, David Lane.

Your bung itself may be leaking around it's housing.My tinny is only a few inches deep underfloor too.

For what a bilge pump set up costs and how easily installed they are,they give you peace of mind not to mention added safety too.

I've never used mine in 8yrs or so I've had my current boat and hope i never need it too , but it's there.

Test it BEFORE every trip if you decide to go that route and keep the screen on the base of the pump clean as regurlarly as possible as they can and do clog with debris.

Cheers.

Ok. Thanks.

So let me understand this please ..and please forgive my stupidity....

I have sub floor area in my boat that has a single being and rarely gets water in it.

The main inside floor area (where people sit) can obviously get water in it from outside and rain and has also, its own bung.

Do I install a bilge in underfloor area? Which means I'd need to cut a hole into the sub floor.

Or ....do I sit the bilge pump on the floor of the main area of the boat and a hose leading outside to drain the water

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

And the day you forget the bung? You will wish you had an bilge pump-I love them so much I have 2 in my 5.4 M CC- but seriously answer is yes get one, preferebly 2

My bungs are already in before I leave home😁 and I have spares.

Ok....will look at getting one to help drain main area if, goodness forbid, it gets swamped. 

2 hours ago, recurve said:

Any boat been be swamped. 

Never ever heard any one say they regretted installing a bilge pump

No so much regret, just double checking rules. I've not had maritime yet ask to see a bilge in the boat. Only everything else.

If you have never need a bilge pump you have never had your boat on the water!!   Rain, spray, washing blood/ink/guts/pee off the gunwales......  beach launching......   you get wetstuff in the boat.. and a bilge pump gets it out... quickly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dmck said:

If you have never need a bilge pump you have never had your boat on the water!!   Rain, spray, washing blood/ink/guts/pee off the gunwales......  beach launching......   you get wetstuff in the boat.. and a bilge pump gets it out... quickly.

Ok.ok.....i go get one. Cheers people.

As said, if it never gets used....it's there anyway. 

Thanks for the help👍

22 minutes ago, dmck said:

I've probably had the boat in the water a couple hundred times at a guess and it has never been used to drain the bildge.

No pee,blood,ink guts or fish in my boat.As a matter of fact my boat is bone dry under floor unless i give it a good hosing then tilt it up,remove bungs and drain water.

I must have a dud boat. 😂😂😂I should take it back to Quinny and complain it doesn't get water in the bildge,have cracked welds and they forgot to bloody paint it!😂😂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I've probably had the boat in the water a couple hundred times at a guess and it has never been used to drain the bildge.

No pee,blood,ink guts or fish in my boat.As a matter of fact my boat is bone dry under floor unless i give it a good hosing then tilt it up,remove bungs and drain water.

I must have a dud boat. 😂😂😂I should take it back to Quinny and complain it doesn't get water in the bildge,have cracked welds and they forgot to bloody paint it!😂😂

Rofling. Same here. It did have a bilge but it was stuffed so I removed it. Yep, same here, hardly had a drop in mine as well 

Might not be boating "seriously" enough

• Haha 1

Hi all...look at your bilge pump like your life jacket.chances are you will never need to use your life jacket.one day you just mite need it.

if you ever get a deck wash,a bilge pump comes in handy.

23 minutes ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...look at your bilge pump like your life jacket.chances are you will never need to use your life jacket.one day you just mite need it.

if you ever get a deck wash,a bilge pump comes in handy.

True that. Will fit another this week.

Pardon my slow and stupid mind on this s subject. 

Always will have a bilge pump and will always have one.

I do check mine often and after each trip fill the bilge area to flush away any salt etc. and also this assures me that it is running, as the last few pumps that I  have had have been automatic.

I installed an inspection hatch and mounted one under floor and i have another in a shallow depression under my tank in rear  seafarer vsea  if you split hull or hit something and hole your hull miles from boat ramp you will be glad you put one in......ive had slop come over side near rear of boat and had 4 inches of water in back  flick switch gone in minutes.....do it

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

As Rick says .... "do it !" ...  I have a 2000gph job (visualize 50x40gal drums being sucked out per hour) with manual switch and a float switch ... so I don't even have to think to turn it on. 

But to your point about the rules....

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

just double checking rules.

If you are in open waters then its a mandatory requirement as per this excerpt ... unless the void is airtight.

image.png.9653196878f686376e19f88f6497e0cc.png

If MSB has not spoken to you in open waters they probably have no reason to ask.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

I Just looked up. It's required for enclosed waters as well.

However, as you said, it depends if you get asked.

I'm going to replace my cactus one anyway, but I only go to limited open water areas , but have not been asked if I have one. Only checks on everything else.

As said , going shopping tomorrow. Damn over 1 hour round trip to get one......

Screenshot_2019-09-11-16-27-43-60.png

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

No so much regret, just double checking rules. I've not had maritime yet ask to see a bilge in the boat. Only everything else.

Just saying bet there are a lot more people who regret not having one y then people who got one. 

If you under floor area is sealed then don't drill into it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hi Dave,

As Rick says .... "do it !" ...  I have a 2000gph job (visualize 50x40gal drums being sucked out per hour) with manual switch and a float switch ... so I don't even have to think to turn it on. 

But to your point about the rules....

If you are in open waters then its a mandatory requirement as per this excerpt ... unless the void is airtight.

image.png.9653196878f686376e19f88f6497e0cc.png

If MSB has not spoken to you in open waters they probably have no reason to ask.

Cheers Zoran

"If you are in open waters then its a mandatory requirement as per this excerpt ... unless the void is airtight"

THATS my question. Apart from bung, the void/underfloor is airtight, hence asking if bilge pump is required. I understand having one inside the boat makes sense as well.

as said, will get one tomorrow.

At least one person answered your question. If you can lift the floor up then yes you need one.

Nice work @zmk1962

15 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

At least one person answered your question. If you can lift the floor up then yes you need one.

Nice work @zmk1962

Cool. Question answered.

Apologies for the long winded way around .

Thanks people, really appreciate the help. 👍👍👍👍👍👍😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, motiondave said:

If it’s anything like my old mans pongrass husky from many moons ago - it’s sealed, from regulations point of view, you don’t need a bilge pump.

• Thanks 1

Maybe too late, but I used to carry around a manual bilge pump - took little space on the side. Having said that, an electric bilge pump is night and day better - imagine the emergency situation, fumbling around with a manual bilge pump/driving boat/dealing with bad conditions.

And on that note, getting I wouldn't go into open waters even with a manual bilge pump cause of how dicey things can suddenly become.

15 hours ago, dmck said:

Rofling, just read this again,....rain, blood, guts, pee, waves, beach launching?....where the heck you been going, Normandy in the 40s? *laughing* 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, anthman said:

Maybe too late, but I used to carry around a manual bilge pump - took little space on the side. Having said that, an electric bilge pump is night and day better - imagine the emergency situation, fumbling around with a manual bilge pump/driving boat/dealing with bad conditions.

And on that note, getting I wouldn't go into open waters even with a manual bilge pump cause of how dicey things can suddenly become.

cool, my question got answered even though it was long winded reply as I could not ask properly (stupid me) , as my subfloor is sealed, apart from outside bung, im not required to have a bilge pump in the subfloor , as if it does fill, its not going to affect the handling too much, and its optional if I want one in main area of boat, but thats what bailing bucket is for.

Im very cautious of conditions before I leave, I check weather, wind, waves, swell, etc.