Snapper Off sydney

blaxland

Hello Raiders,

Had another go at the snapper today with better results, had Paul from The Sneaky Fisho with and he had some good intel. After getting some liveies we headed to long reef 30M depth sounded a ball of something and started our drift. We tried various lures baits and rigs then paul comes up tight using tweed packet cuttlefish on a small running sinker to the hook, bail arm open down the burly trail. Naturally I changed to the same setup and lost a solid fish after a brief fight . Did manage to get a panie on plastics using the method scratchy explained at the last meet good day all round. FYI had a report of large salmon schools near the harbour bridge today.70930859_2237907302984846_9109836741048532992_n.thumb.jpg.2a60f1793215b66ee182b6dd6ce2369a.jpg69890091_2238119312963645_8232628226761949184_n.jpg.1c05006b5c39ca84506152eee438ad01.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The theory is the fish swim up the trail even at anchor the trail can cover a long area. I rarely anchor because the sarca is too epensive to lose and fishing solo out of a cuddy cabin makes it a little harder to do. We may have been successful with out the burly but we were successful with it.

Nice catch @blaxland, top photos also. I'm keen to target snapper off Swansea way, what bait was your burley trail and did you do one long drift of multiple shorter drifts over a target area?

A top tip another raider had for offshore "anchoring" offshore is use an electric bow motor instead.. guess it depends on the time in one spot and conditions but certainly an option.

• Like 1

Thanks Lakelad I had some frozen slimies in the mulcher just gave it a pump now and then. Before I switched to straylining the cuttle fish I had pillies on a paternoster and was cubing with them also. Longish drift but covered it twice then a wind change so we left.  Next outing will try  shorter drifts over the mark or next to it. Would love a bow motor but cost is the problem at the minute. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 10:11 AM, GoingFishing said:

Great work mate thats an awesome result.

i am absolutely dying to get out, its been 5 weeks !!!!!! if i dont get out this weekend i might implode.

Im reaching the 10 month mark my friend :fishing1: its been a loooooong time. Lol can't wait till summer break. 

• Sad 1