Self tapping screw for fg boat

back cruncher

Hi all...I’m going to make a stainless steel rocket launcher for my fibreglass boat tomorrow.im wondering what type of self tapping screws to use to screw into the fibreglass.i can’t nut and bolt it due to access.im thinking wood type self tappers.the fibreglass is approx 5mm thick.

+1 for @noelm comment. There is a lot of leverage created on the mounts by the combined weight of all the rods and reels swinging at the end of your rocket launcher - let alone one of the crew grabbing for a hand hold. 

I have my launcher braced with ss plate just for that reason. 

Any chance you can post pictures of the mount location so we can try to come up with options?

cheers Zoran 

How funny, I was going to start a thread on a similar line.

Back cruncher, not wanting to hijack this thread but if I can ask a quick question on the back of this it will save opening another thread.

I want to add this type of rod holder to the back of the rear seat in my ally tinny & because bolts are not an option as the seats are foam filled, I thought self tapping galvanised metal screws would be the go??

1798864153_rodholder.thumb.jpg.994ad5e4fecd51d4fe9f41c4b59c83dc.jpg

Zip-In-Sheet-Metal-Screws-e1530130789958.thumb.jpg.d00e13cb5603e51b632ad150e1e248e4.jpg

11 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

How thick is the ally? Too thin and such a screw won’t hold  

Gal is a no go with ally - you are best to go with 316 stainless. 

Have you considered large dia blind rivets?

cheers Zoran 

I agree with Zoran. Use aluminium rivets. No electrolysis issues. I have two alloy rod holders (unpainted) like that mounted on my console with rivets.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

I thought it was stainless that reacted with aluminium??

Yes I have some aluminium rivets, I will just drill new holes into the holder & the seat & do it that way.

Cheers guys.

Edit: thanks frank, I guess where we put these is an individual thing but I don't really want to attach anything via the hull.

I have a deck like you between the 2 bench seats so its either in front of the front seat or at the back of the rear.

Cheers. 

Edited by kingie chaser

It's a matter of where do you want rods sticking up ( the ones you are not using ) . Myself I mostly fish out the back of the boat so I don't want rods sticking up in my way, when fishing from the side I position the rods behind me. Gotta be careful when casting either way.

Frank

• Like 1

Kingie chaser, here's a pic of my DIY rod holders on my old Hornet (green of course) just in front of the sounder.

These were held in place with 4 stainless, 10 gauge self tappers and never came loose during the years I owned the boat.

Note: They were only used when motoring from one spot to another as I had a rod locker for rods not in use.

Rod Holder.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, frankS said:

It's a matter of where do you want rods sticking up ( the ones you are not using ) . Myself I mostly fish out the back of the boat so I don't want rods sticking up in my way, when fishing from the side I position the rods behind me. Gotta be careful when casting either way.

Frank

Very true frank, point taken.

I will rethink it today.

Looks like I am going to doing a few thinks like this tomorrow as I was going to go fishing in BB but think it will be a waste of time.

I also want to add a hatch type of cover to the front under storage area of the bow so I can re arrange my anchor/rope storage 

Edited by kingie chaser

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Maybe stainless steel butterfly screws       spring loaded toggles

Just looked at some of these, sounds like a good option to me if you don't have access

But if there is a cavity at the back like in the picture the OP has shown I think I would rather used a straight through bolt.

Maybe a picture of where it is actually going to be mounted might help

Hi all...the part of my boat that makes up that pocket is a plastic material that is also screwed on..your rite,it’s actually a rod rack.somewhere to put the rods when on the road,once boat in water,rod moved into rocket launchers.

rick...I don’t know what a butterfly screw and spring toggle is..

Is a wood type self tapper the appropriate screw for fibreglass ?

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I thought it was stainless that reacted with aluminium??

I have an ally pod on my boat. The engine is mounted on the pod with ss bolts. The pod is bolted to the fg hull with ss bolts. The ladder is fixed with ss bolts. etc. All this is factory supplied. You need a good coat of sikaflex or similar between the parts when mounting anything to ally, which I presume you would be using anyway.

In your case I would use blind ally rivets to mount that rod holder. If your concern is that you may need to drill new holes instead of using the predrilled holes in the holder, you could slide a ss washer over the rivet to make a larger skirt on the rivet that would cover the predrilled hole. 

Cheers Z

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:31 AM, frankS said:

Here's my rack in the 14' tinnie, bit crude but does the job.

2035412714_rodrack.thumb.jpg.b1c4dfc9c3fbef6210491ec08d527ea7.jpg

Frank

I had a play around today & tried to place the holder in a few locations to see what worked best for me & don't think where I wanted to originally place it isn't going to work.

I think looking at your pic frank that could be a better solution for me although where I would have to place it for the shape of the hull will get in the way of my other rod holder so might have to remove that one.

18 hours ago, frankS said:

Kingie. I could make you some rod rack either Stainless OR alloy whichever preferred and OR I can make washers to any size.

Frank

Thanks very much for the offer Frank, much appreciated.

I have had this rod holder which I originally bought for the 4x4 bulbar for a few years now but then I ended up made something else for rod transport/storage so I would like to put it to use rather than collecting dust.

Now will probably go back to using the pre drilled holes in the holder.

So stainless bolts are the go??

I have some of that anti corrosion stuff somewhere I can use.

Cheers .

• 2 weeks later...

I am always playing around with boats and things and have decided to move the rod rack over the other side of the boat and build a rod locker on this side ( port ) of the boat, half way through the project at the moment and will post some photos when the job is finished.

Bit of a mess at the moment. locker will hold 4 rods ( that's all I have on the boat at a time ) and there will be plastic lure boxes underneath 8 in total so everything should be in its place and easy to access.

658365751_rodlocker.thumb.jpg.649706f39dd8f7d4f3ee298c4cc8711e.jpg

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 2