Richard Warren

Lake Macquarie

I went for a quick fish yesterday afternoon from a wharf walking distance near my home. I was using old pilchards for bait that had been refrozen a couple of times so wasn't expecting much.  Caught a few small red bream and yellow fin bream then just as it was getting dark I got a couple of keeper bream and got smoked by something that took 50 metres of line before the line broke near the hook. I suspect a large flathead or maybe a tailor from the look of the fraying where the line broke. Good to get a feed of fish and the one that got away always encourages you to go fishing again.

image.jpg

• Like 7

Good job what rig were you using? and so lucky to have that at your doorstep

Blaxland,

Yes, very lucky to live so close to the water. I use 8 lb braid with a 6 foot trace of  8 lb mono. The area I was fishing is about 3 to 4 feet deep with patches of ribbon weed and very little tidal flow so I just use a size 4 suicide hook and no sinker.

Great report.

Nice bream  plenty in the lake at moment  hopefully you stay connected next trip

Nice result for a quick local fish with old bait. Come to think of it, we've caught some of our best bream off the shore on kids rods, not in the boat on bream gear 😂