How to remove split shot?

JamoDamo

Hey guys went for my first blackfish today unfortunately I didn't catch anything as I put way too much shot. If you guys have any links to where I can buy it that would be great for a cheap price of course lol. I have a nice amount of weed for my next outing just need to get float stoppers and split shot thanks!

Thanks JamoDamo

Also it would be pretty good if I could learn off someone thanks!

Most tackle stores carry little round trays of removable split shot of varying weights, use a pair of longnosed pliers to put them on and off (taking them off you just squeeze the back lugs), when i blackfish i usually check the float and bouyancy before i actually fish that way I can make adjustments quickly- you just want the stem above water in calm conditions and in rough conditions a little bit of the cork- otherwise it will damn hard to see a down. Use the same princeples that apply for all fishing- lighter is best. In low flow estuary systems eg Narrabeen Lake you can get away with a quill float, in a rough wash situation you need something a lot bigger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I used to use my teeth... probably not a good idea! 😂 The shot with the little lugs on the back are the way to go... just squeeze with pliers as PaddyT said.

Yeah used to do that too BAz- probably explains my brain damage from lead poisoning!!! On a serious note i didnt let my kids handle lead at all until they were in their late teens- most damage by lead ocurs in the developing brain

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Yeah used to do that too BAz- probably explains my brain damage from lead poisoning!!! On a serious note i didnt let my kids handle lead at all until they were in their late teens- most damage by lead ocurs in the developing brain

Well i'm stuffed I am 15 lol

• Haha 1

I live in around peakhurst but probably could go have look if my dad can drive me thanks for the offer mate. Am I better off using split shot as its easier to find or sheet lead? I know sheet lead is better. I bought JW floats and they need a lot of lead to keep em down.... Need to make my own

Edited by JamoDamo

12 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

I live in peakhurst heights but probably could go have look if my dad can drive me thanks for the offer mate. Am I better off using split shot as its easier to find or sheet lead? I know sheet lead is better. I bought JW floats and they need a lot of lead to keep em down.... Need to make my own

I sent you a PM

You should be using a small ball or barrel sinker resting on the swivel where you join your trace to your main line as the primary weight and use split shot just to fine tune the floats balance. You can work out how much weight you need in a bucket of water at home by just hanging the sinker / shot off the bottom float runner with a bit of fine wire or something similar. Yes, saltwater is denser but it makes bugger all difference and gives you somewhere to start.

As others have said, use pliers to attach shot to your line and to take them off, gently squeeze from the ends of the split in the shot to remove them. I often use an old butter knife to open them up a little more for re-use.

If you're on good terms with your neighbours ask if they have any sheet lead laying around, it used to be commonly used in the building industry and most old guys with a shed would have some laying around.

Sent you a PM on some other things.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

Hi,

I have tried sheet lead and split shot. My dad was a piano tuner and the old player pianos used lead pipe. When he replaced them with plastic tubing i got the lead and melted it into sinkers, sheets etc.

Lead sheet works OK but can come off easily when fishing.

I take the time to balance my float when rigging a new one up. I use a ball or bean sinker first to get close the the right level of buoyancy then add split shot to get it right. 

I use wooden floats and, as they soak up water when fishing they lose a little buoyancy so need to take that into consideration.

If I need to remove shot I generally snip the knot below and slide the  shot off the line and then retie any knots.

I save the shot and when I get home, hold each one with a pair of pliers and use a knife to reopen the shot for further use.

KB

• Like 2

I also find using split ring pliers (pliers that are used to open split rings - one point comes to a flat spike at a right angle - used for getting in between the curls of a split ring to open it) and use the flat spike to wedge open the splitshot 

• Like 1

Just use a knife, it will damage the line, but then, a split shot is so cheap, just use new ones and remove leftovers at home and just put them back in your tackle box, spending ages to reuse something worth a cent is just not worth it, a mate I fish with regularly will spend 10 minutes trying to get a cheap 4/0 suicide hook out of a Snapper, even gutting it if it's needed, it's just not worth the effort (in my opinion)