fishing rod transport

Mr_clownface

Hi there,

Im planning to travel to gold coast later this year by air and was wondering what is the best way to transport some fining rods on aircraft.

what i thought was buy PVC tube with end caps or buy a travel fishing rod tube from a fishing store about 2m in length.

i am interested in other peoples experience with this and any advice is appreciated.

thanks.

I go to Rockhampton to fish for Barra and have been down this path. I originally purchased a cheap holder from a shop. When I picked up my rods at Rocky the end was completely smashed in and the zipper was stuffed, luckily is was the end where the base of the rods were so did not break my gear. They must have speared it. unsavoury characters! Phoned Qantas and they were absolutely awful about it. Said I needed to produce a receipt but I did not keep the receipt so i lost out. I fly a lot for work so been using Virgin as an up yours ever since. Reckon Qantas now missed out on around 20 flights from me now. I got really pissed off at how they dealt with it. 

a shop only sell cheap ones. I went to a Tackle World and dropped some cash on a extendable holder. It's pretty bulky and large but there is no way those baggage guys can break it. Very happy I spent the money. However, on the train to the airport with Bag, Carry on Bag and bulky rod holder I do cause a bit of a stir and it is mighty awkward. However my rods arrive in perfect condition and my case does not get thrown like a spear anymore. Also I can fit loads of rods in it. 

If it's just a once of affair Pvc with glued on end cap one end and a screw cap the other end get a cheap handle from Bunnings etc and fit to roughly centre of tube for ease of carrying . If you wanted rod security you could drill through the screw end cap and thread a bolt through and put lock on it.

Drill hole in end of bolt for padlock.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Been down this road many times, first off, make sure of the length the airline will allow, some have very strict dimensions, and cannot be varied, even by a couple of mm (also been down that road) as far as packing rods,I do them end to end, guides faced inwards, so the butt extends past the tip of the rod going the other way, then wrap a length of foam around then, slide them in, more foam around the middle, slide in more, then foam at the end, plastic plumbers pipe is best, easy to make and cheap to buy, but, it's hard to carry unless you make a carry handle of some sort.