Flathead cleaning and skinning

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

Not really a cooking recipe but definitely a kitchen forum item.  

I have cleaned and filleted many flathead, but I'm always on the look out on how to do something better.  I recently came across the attached video which has changed everything for me.  I tried out the technique yesterday and can vouch it works! 

Personally, I don't like using fresh water on saltwater fish like shown in the video as I believe it makes the fish go off quicker. I prefer to clean the fish / dip the fillets in a bucket of clean sea water that I bring back from offshore. .... but I love the flat head skinning technique this guy demonstrates !!! No scaling as well. I tried it and it cut my processing time by more then half yesterday. 

https://www.kaydofishingworld.com/easy-way-to-filleting-flathead/

Cheers Zoran

• Like 5

Thanks Zoran.

I have been using that method for probably the last 5 years and it works well.

I have been toying with changing to this one but haven't been out much lately. I don't think I'd ever get to this standard though. 

Edited by Welster
Extra text
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That’s awesome- is he one of the costi brothers - that’s a hell of a lot of Flathead practice- plus you need a samurai blade knife !!! ??? 

Maria and I just decided he can have a crew spot anytime! 

But I agree like you it’s going to take me some time to get this accomplished. 

But just to put it out there - Maria just said she’ll be helping me clean fish next time using that technique!! 

Stay tuned- I’ll post a video as it happens ! Bahaha 

Cheers Zoran 

7 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

That’s awesome- is he one of the costi brothers - that’s a hell of a lot of Flathead practice- plus you need a samurai blade knife !!! ??? 

Maria and I just decided he can have a crew spot anytime! 

But I agree like you it’s going to take me some time to get this accomplished. 

But just to put it out there - Maria just said she’ll be helping me clean fish next time using that technique!! 

Stay tuned- I’ll post a video as it happens ! Bahaha 

Cheers Zoran 

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

• Haha 1

Frank. The second method? does it remove the bones ?

Ok Noelm answered it !! Brilliant , Must try it !!

Skin on helps hold some of  the caramelized juices for extra flavour !!

Edited by bluefin

Im happy to learn any new method which I have just seen 2.

To be critical the top one for me although good leaves to much silver skin for me.

The 2nd not sure how much wastage there would be from pulling the whole centre pin bone rack out?

But both are worth trying for sure.

Cheers guys 👍

There is a bit of waste, but there's no bones, and Flathead are plentiful at the right time of the year, the silver bit under the skin being left on is kind of important, that's how the whole operation works, the bones are kind of stuck to the skin, and if you skin a Flathead with a knife like you would other fish, removing that silver membrane kind of thing, some of the bones stay in the fillet, I have been doing this method for decades, it's fast and easy once mastered, and I get plenty of crab trap bait for Blue Swimmers!

Looks like two good methods. For those that want a bit more out of their flathead, take the wings off, coat them in flour and fry them. They are the best! You'd think you were eating chicken. Slightly fiddly but when I catch flathead, my wife takes a fillet and i get a plate of wings, and you can stretch it out to another meal. @kiwicraig got me to try this in one of his earlier posts. Speaking of which, its looking good for catching this weekend!

I use the 2nd method and have a sharp knife, I watched a YouTube video a few time and since then its very easy.

The kids like it as there is usually no bones left in the fillet and no silver skin so they don't turn their noses up.

Flathead are so easy, its other fish I struggle with, so I normally just scale and gut and cook whole.

• 2 weeks later...

been using this method for about 15 years- there is a trick though that really helps- let the flatties stiffen up in an ice slurry before you fillet- works much better- can convert 10 flatties into boneless fillets in about 5 minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

been using this method for about 15 years- there is a trick though that really helps- let the flatties stiffen up in an ice slurry before you fillet- works much better- can convert 10 flatties into boneless fillets in about 5 minutes.

Was about to ask just this. Tried the above method yesterday on a couple of sand flathead and no good, the flesh kept tearing. I had them on ice but not in slurry, will try this next time. Thanks for the tip!