Far-out Friday 27.09.2019 Browns Mountain

zmk1962

Howdy Raiders,

Well after the "Tenacious Tuesday" ... which really became "Turn-around Tuesday" for Maria .... I'm happy to report today was "Far-out Friday !!!" .

Yup Maria went to the shelf.... Browns Mountain 40km east of Sydney. About as far-out as she'd ever want to be.  It was her first trip and she was armed with the electric set up - which apparently now is "hers" ... and I have approval to go buy my own... but on this trip I was relegated to the old trusty Alvey Reef King.

image.png.3b08d945acb7b1ae72ee1fcc50c60b30.png

image.png.389af28a308ef69bb07c0120508412a7.png

We launched at Davidsons Park Forestville. It was a very early start. Salted pillies and squid for bait. A really bumpy ride out to Browns in the morning and the conditions for the  first few hours were pretty ordinary, but the weather gods put on the best mid-morning to late afternoon that I have seen in a long time. Just glorious calm offshore weather.

On the way out, we saw a whale broach, and for most of the day there was a pod of dolphins some where in sight, so there was plenty to keep us distracted. 

Anyway, back to the fishy details..... turns out electric powered Maria scored 3 Gem fish.... to manual powered Zoran's zero. Hmmmm. ... maybe some payback there for the 6 flatties I scored on Tuesday to  Marias zero !! .... just sayin'.

image.thumb.png.cd076d4d6864dcc96ba5dee759acbe75.png

image.png.04ceb619a60050c885b7e674db560f44.png

So here I am pictured with the gemmies.... not because I was trying to kind of claim they were mine ... but because I  was about to gut them.... 

image.png.5225e1b4c13de5928aa2ebaea935a629.png

It was a slow day at Brown's, 9 drifts for 3 fish.  Also, on the first drop Maria had the braid bitten off with 57m to reel in ... I conclude there must have been something stuck to the line that attracted a jacket. But regardless guess who had to re-rig the FG knot etc etc etc !

Also two of Maria's  3 gemmies fought to about 20m  off the surface and then spat the hook.... only to bob up a few meters from the boat bloated....guess who gaffed or drove the boat to net them ??? Maybe 2 gemmies are a shared catch after all ... 🙄

Yes there is just a bit of rivalry between us ... but what a great day to share together.

Cheers Zoran

PS - We stopped at 12Mile on the way back... to have two rigs bitten off by JACKETS !!!!! ...... which convinced us to pull stumps to run back home and face the Friday arvo traffic.

image.png.698afc50483e3c9ef54549e5daa1da80.png

PPS - water at Browns 20.8C.  Current 2-3kts running N to S. 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 8

Aah, the adventures of Maria and Zoran continue with the recounting of a very long trip and a small? reward. However, if camaraderie is a measure of a successful day on the water then this has to be right up there. Well done Maria for getting all the fish, even if you had to pull rank to get the electric. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story Zoran. I shall head out to remove some Carp from our local system and we shall await the next report. Cheers, bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for sharing the pictures and story Zoran. I shall head out to remove some Carp from our local system and we shall await the next report

Thanks Neil !  Hope the carp reduction went well ... you should post some reports of this activity... Cheers

16 hours ago, frank's floater said:

Well done Zoran and Maria, I think you cant beat having your better half fishing with you, I'm all for it.. Problem is - we bait, rig gaff etc and they catch the bigger fish and have bragging rights !!!  

HAHAHA... 100% right there. And it's all in good fun... we give and take as the opportunity presents it self. 

14 hours ago, Woodsy1 said:

A few nice fish. It sounded like a great day out. I enjoyed reading your report Zoran.

Woodsy

Thanks Woodsy ... there's always a bit of humour in life if you are open to see it ! 

11 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

Nice fish zoran, loved the read! 

Well done 

Adem 

Thanks Adem ...I'm glad you enjoyed it ! if I recall one of your posts correctly, I think that my boat is way OLDER then you ! ... great to see you on FR. Cheers

11 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report. Super photos.

Thanks Rebel ... just called it as it happened !

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Looks like a good day to be 40km off shore, even if you do get out fished by the missus 😕😂

Thanks for sharing 👍

Thanks Adrian. It was an awesome day couldn;t have wished for better to take a first timer out to the shelf. .. re fishing -. swings and roundabouts .... I out-fished her on Tuesday... But I can tell you my arms and pecs were a bit achey today - the Reef king gives you an upper body work out for sure.  

7 hours ago, Welster said:

What a week getting out twice and pushing wider each time.   It's always handy when the finance department approves the next purchase.   

There is plenty of freeboard in your boat what type of boat is it? 

Hi Jason... "the finance department"   ... yes well this particular finance department told me to get a bigger boat when we were caught out in a dangerous situation in our 16footer - she has some salt in her veins - so I'm already looking for another deep drop deal ! 😄

Re Freeboard - maybe it's because Maria and I are SHORT ! HAHAHA. Thanks for pointing that out so subtly.  I'm 5'6" so yes the gunwales are nice and safe for offshore.  The boat is a Haines Hunter 635L. Deep V mono hull built 1990-1992 and I purchased it in 1996. The original 635s came out in late 70s and were mostly inboards. Then later as outboard HP increased they made a version with an outboard well. Mine was the last run of the 635 and the first run with an ally pod (just before the Haines group split) and before they started moulding an FG pod as part of the hull. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 4

Thanks Sam! Yes blessed in that department for sure. We’ve been together for a very long time- and used to beach fish all through the night in our youth dreaming of a day when we owned a boat and a 4wd !  

We had high aspirations...  hahaha !

Just had the 2nd gemmie  meal - delish. Planning the next raids  

Cheers Z

A8F613B3-4D60-4CC6-8E60-2CA16F695574.jpeg

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 3:29 PM, zmk1962 said:

Thanks @sam bros !   ... well you never know when the opportunity may come up. Where are you based ?

Cheers Z

Based near Parramatta, but I always go up and down the coast to fish.

If you ever need a deckie, I would love to join

BTW those gemmies look delicous

Edited by sam bros

45 minutes ago, sam bros said:

Based near Parramatta, but I always go up and down the coast to fish.

If you ever need a deckie, I would love to join

BTW those gemmies look delicous

I’m castle hill based so minutes away from parra. PM sent. 

Cheers Z

ps - yes gemmies were/are delish!!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 10:50 PM, zmk1962 said:

Howdy Raiders,

Well after the "Tenacious Tuesday" ... which really became "Turn-around Tuesday" for Maria .... I'm happy to report today was "Far-out Friday !!!" .

Yup Maria went to the shelf.... Browns Mountain 40km east of Sydney. About as far-out as she'd ever want to be.  It was her first trip and she was armed with the electric set up - which apparently now is "hers" ... and I have approval to go buy my own... but on this trip I was relegated to the old trusty Alvey Reef King.

image.png.3b08d945acb7b1ae72ee1fcc50c60b30.png

image.png.389af28a308ef69bb07c0120508412a7.png

We launched at Davidsons Park Forestville. It was a very early start. Salted pillies and squid for bait. A really bumpy ride out to Browns in the morning and the conditions for the  first few hours were pretty ordinary, but the weather gods put on the best mid-morning to late afternoon that I have seen in a long time. Just glorious calm offshore weather.

On the way out, we saw a whale broach, and for most of the day there was a pod of dolphins some where in sight, so there was plenty to keep us distracted. 

Anyway, back to the fishy details..... turns out electric powered Maria scored 3 Gem fish.... to manual powered Zoran's zero. Hmmmm. ... maybe some payback there for the 6 flatties I scored on Tuesday to  Marias zero !! .... just sayin'.

image.thumb.png.cd076d4d6864dcc96ba5dee759acbe75.png

image.png.04ceb619a60050c885b7e674db560f44.png

So here I am pictured with the gemmies.... not because I was trying to kind of claim they were mine ... but because I  was about to gut them.... 

image.png.5225e1b4c13de5928aa2ebaea935a629.png

It was a slow day at Brown's, 9 drifts for 3 fish.  Also, on the first drop Maria had the braid bitten off with 57m to reel in ... I conclude there must have been something stuck to the line that attracted a jacket. But regardless guess who had to re-rig the FG knot etc etc etc !

Also two of Maria's  3 gemmies fought to about 20m  off the surface and then spat the hook.... only to bob up a few meters from the boat bloated....guess who gaffed or drove the boat to net them ??? Maybe 2 gemmies are a shared catch after all ... 🙄

Yes there is just a bit of rivalry between us ... but what a great day to share together.

Cheers Zoran

PS - We stopped at 12Mile on the way back... to have two rigs bitten off by JACKETS !!!!! ...... which convinced us to pull stumps to run back home and face the Friday arvo traffic.

image.png.698afc50483e3c9ef54549e5daa1da80.png

PPS - water at Browns 20.8C.  Current 2-3kts running N to S. 

Great stuff. Great to see some fellow Sun Smart fisho's too. 

• Thanks 1