South head evening session

Luko78

Ok Raiders, 

This is my first report so you will have to endure the excitement of an eager newbie who managed to catch a fish.
My father in-law and I have recently got ourselves a boat and headed out for a quick session yesterday evening. We got to South Head around 5pm and anchored up just inside. It was pretty quiet til the light started to drop then we started seeing a bit more action on the sounder - bit of bait around and some bigger arches on the screen.

We were fishing a variety of shop bought baits, pichards, squid and prawns. We started getting a few nibbles before this fella took a bite. Measured in at 52cm. Yep, it's just a flathead but for a newbie like myself it was SOOOO much better than coming home empty handed like my last couple of outings. My father in law got one too, but it was just on the limit so we put him back.

Gear: 2-4 kg shimano rod, 2500 Sienna reel. 6lb braid and 12lb fluoro leader. 

Hoping to have a few more reports to share as we head up the coast in the coming weeks.
Cheers

IMG_1533.JPG

Edited by Luko78
  • Like 5

52cm, that is decent flatty on that light gear, 6lb braid with 12lb leader or the other way around??

Good size flatty for south head, great little combo 2-4 with a sienna 2500, fantastic reels and bang for buck, got several of those sienna's and cant go wrong. I run a Shimano Sahara X,  2-4 with a sienna 2500, 10lb braid 8lb leader. Fantastic little combo for land based bream/flatty etc.

Welcome to Fishraider too, look forward to seeing more reports, head over here to introduce yourself >>> Allow me to introduce myself.

• Thanks 1