Big flathead

kiwibrown

Hi all, first kayak session after winter and was a success. Fished in middle harbour with pilchards and got this girl. Took a.long time to get it in the kayak and when I did I nearly jumped out. Must have gone close to 90cm and safely released. Crazy thing is I reckon I lost a couple more about that size. Have I found the spot......

IMG_20190912_112958.jpg

• Like 11

It's common for big flathead to congregate in small areas at this time of year as part of their spawning activities.   I remember one day I caught and released 4 between 85 and 95cm in an area about half the size of a tennis court.   Ron 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Interesting Ron. I didn't know that and would explain the session. The photo doesn't really do it justice, it was a beast. Just a single hook with pilly head. Luckily hooked right through top lip and managed to avoid any abrasion. The difference in fight between this and a say 60cm version was a massive contrast

Cracking lizard mate what pound braid/leader did you have set up? 

I need to get out in the yak around middle harbour been focussing on the back area of Pittwater around Lovetts and Towlers Bay lots of flatties in the weed beds around the 50 mark and a few topwater whiting. 

Care to share the general area in middle harbour you’ve had success in? I know about the deep hole off Clontarf but never tried it.

Jenno- of course at the time I took a mental note of tide etc but can't remember exactly now. Was run out and the current increased quite rapidly to a point where it got too strong to hold bottom

Frank and fish- simple running sinker rig on 15 lb mono. I have two rods in the kayak. Anymore and I'm a clumsy mess. Yeah around clontarf/ balmoral