Fishing Kayaks - What are some good mid range cost Fishing Kayaks?

JamoDamo

Hey Raiders,

I have been quite interested in getting a fishing kayak for quite some time and I want to know if any of you guys have any recommendations for me to buy. I was thinking of buying the Seak Rapid 2.7m fishing kayak off a shop. I have been searching around and I might get either the one on a shop, a shop, 2Monks, Dragon Kayaks or Kayaks to fish. I have looked at hobie kayaks but I don't have the means of buying one - 4k for a kayak lol. 

Thanks JamoDamo

Yeah I don't really have much wriggle room for a Hobie lol, pretty damn unfortunate as I know they are a top kayak brand. I think I might just have to settle for a 400-500 dollar one, oh well at least it will get me out on the water.

Perhaps you could seek out a second hand pedalcraft, pedalfish 10, or something similar.

I've never owned one but know guys who do. They're not a bad little outfit and a lot cheaper than a hobie but still offer pedal propulsion, which IMO makes a huge difference in a estuary/river fishing kayak.

Don't just go looking for the cheapest thing you can find. Many won't paddle straight and/or are unstable and not suitable for anything but the calmest waters. You'll just be throwing you're hard earned cash down the drain.

Don't forget you'll need to factor in the cost of a life jacket and other safety gear as well.

I think the major factor I'm saying here is you're better off buying a half decent, second hand hull than some of the new rubbish you see in less reputable stores. 

• Thanks 1

If you want a cheap but semi decent Kayak, something like this from one of the many warehouses around sydney, 

I got one like this and no issues, got from one of those popup stores up the central coast, $350 come in different colours etc, a lot of rec groups use these along with some hire companies. No faults with mine and handles lake macquarie fine

Edited by dirvin21
Showing link to non sponser

My better half has a Seak rapid 2.7 it's a good yak she got it for $250 on special but had to buy other gear seperatly, I started out with a kayak2fish cheapie wasn't a bad set-up,  I've since gone to an "old town" vapor 10 sit-in, I love it couple of mates have dragon yaks and I effortlessly lezve them for dead 

No matter what set-up you go for get a good quality paddle and a compact inflatable pfd it makes a massive difference

2 hours ago, Squ!rt said:

If you want a cheap but semi decent Kayak, something like this from one of the many warehouses around sydney, 

I got one like this and no issues, got from one of those popup stores up the central coast, $350 come in different colours etc, a lot of rec groups use these along with some hire companies. No faults with mine and handles lake macquarie fine

Can u pm me the link pls thanks mate

31 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

My better half has a Seak rapid 2.7 it's a good yak she got it for $250 on special but had to buy other gear seperatly, I started out with a kayak2fish cheapie wasn't a bad set-up,  I've since gone to an "old town" vapor 10 sit-in, I love it couple of mates have dragon yaks and I effortlessly lezve them for dead 

No matter what set-up you go for get a good quality paddle and a compact inflatable pfd it makes a massive difference

Thanks mate, I guess kayaks2fish will have to sufice

27 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

Might get a little electric motor as well and mount it on the side to get around quicker or to troll lures

Mate if you're going to do that, you are starting to add up to the $1600 mark.

I.e. $500 for kayak

+ $150 for kayak trolling motor

+ $150-200 for a 12v battery (not even looking at lifepo4 or similar lightweight batteries)

+ $50 for wiring, accessories, case/mount etc.. to install and fit

I've had both cheap China rotomoulded kayaks that you can see everywhere on gumtree for around the $300 mark and my Hobie outback (bought second hand).

The difference is HUGE - not saying yiu must get a Hobie, but as people above are suggesting, get a decent second hand. The tracking will be reliable (the cheap kayak was incredibly frustrating in this regard , not what you want whilst on the water).

The only use case I can see for the cheap China kayaks was paddling out in calm bays , dropping anchor and soaking baits/fishing whilst stationary.

If there is anyway you can save for a pedal kayak, I'd do it - the hands-free freedom makes for an entirely different and superior fishing experience.

I would say - get a used kayak that fits your budget and spend the  saved cash on other gear like paddle, seat, PFD, kayak trolley, car racks/straps, rod holders, rod leashes, landing net, anchor, fishfinder, live bait tube etc etc ... did I mention  fishing tackle? Just make sure kayak suits your intended type and area of fishing.  e.g I would not risk fishing in a small cheap 'tub' in open waters or areas with a lot of current, or when a decent paddling required, though in closed or calm waters this 'tub' is quite sufficient to get a chance for a decent catch particularly close to some structure.

Hi JamoDamo,

I put the following together for some other mates that were looking at getting into kayaks. They ended up getting some relatively inexpensive $350 kayaks which gets them out on the water. Just some things to think about. A lot of information (have plenty more) but use it as a check list:

Kayak:

·         Suitable load rating (I’m 108kg plus battery, fishfinder, fishing gear, water)

·         Tracks in a straight line when paddling (mine doesn’t so I make rudder adjustments during the rare times I'm using the paddles. it is a Hobie Revolution 13 with Mirage drive so I don't paddle very often and thus the tracking is not an issue in my case)

·         Longer is faster but harder to store

·         Easy to carry to water or has wheels (mine is 30kg but I can lift it)

·         At least 2 rod holders (I needed 3 – bream/snapper and heavy rods). Ideally put extensions in to get reels clear of water – you can make these from PVC

·         Decent paddle so you don’t snap it when pushing it hard

·         Storage hatches for cases, water and a dry bag for keys, money, phone

·         Colour: I chose blue as it is visible on the water for other boats and my safety . I don’t think the fish care about the colour. I’ve heard (unverified) that yellow is a shark magnet and I know red fades in the sun.

Roof racks: to get two kayaks on you will need very wide ones or ones you can put accessories on such as a cradle. I have Thule but Rhino is also excellent. If you get the Aero designs they have a removable strip of rubber which allows access to the accessory slot

Foam on racks: Clark rubber insulation foam split and wrapped over bars. Stops point loading and damage to kayak when you tighten down the straps.

Straps: Long enough to go under rack over kayak under rack again and back over kayak again and tightened off. As a starting point I suggest something like these ones from Bunnings for $23: https://www.bunnings.com.au/gripwell-28mm-x-4-5m-300kg-cambuckle-tie-down-with-pvc-cam-cover-2-pack_p4310641

Life jacket: A higher rating is required for off shore than inshore. If you get an inflatable you can also use it for rock fishing but it must be inspected (can do by yourself) annually. I have an inflatable jacket but I usually use foam filled jacket specifically design for use on the kayak. If kayak shop doesn’t have them then look at your boating or outdoor stores. I got my foam one from a kayak shop. Make sure they are a comfortable fit as you will be wearing them for a while.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

13 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Thanks mate, I guess kayaks2fish will have to sufice

13 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Might get a little electric motor as well and mount it on the side to get around quicker or to troll lures

The cheapies are a good start out yak, my kayak2fish yak survived some severe punishment dragging up creeks etc... the big downfall was paddling into a headwind and they're not good for long paddles but definitely a good starting yak

They're a fairly stable yak but if there's any chop you will get wet

Forget the electric the battery will add too much weight in the back and you'd be better off saving the $$$ and putting it into a better yak

Pedal yaks are good except they don't do well in shallow water or small creeks 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 1:09 AM, JamoDamo said:

Hey Raiders,

I have been quite interested in getting a fishing kayak for quite some time and I want to know if any of you guys have any recommendations for me to buy. I was thinking of buying the Seak Rapid 2.7m fishing kayak off a shop. I have been searching around and I might get either the one on a shop, a shop, 2Monks, Dragon Kayaks or Kayaks to fish. I have looked at hobie kayaks but I don't have the means of buying one - 4k for a kayak lol. 

Thanks JamoDamo

I use the pryml fishing kayak, got it at a shop. I chose that kayak because it has a proper decent seat that keeps your but from getting wet.

Edited by James Clain
wrong word