Choosing a winch

jay_stylz

Make the trailer suitable for drive on/off and you only need the winch for the last few inches and to hold hard against the bow bollard. Other than that get at least a 2 speed. I have a brand new still in the box electric winch going cheap ?.

Frank

You will need a five to one gearing at least (reduction ratio). Depending on how strong you are or if you have a helper perhaps get a 2 speed with the extra ratio being 10:1. That's assuming you boat is 5m or under and not too heavy (if on the heavy side ie 900 - 1000kgs then definitely get the 2 speed).

I owned a Crescutter. They are a heavy boat if you are by yourself. I fitted an electric winch, which solved all my problems.

There is nothing worse when you are at a ramp and the winds are blowing and there is no protection and you are on your own.

Cheers.

28 minutes ago, jay_stylz said:

Thanks guys for all the input !!! The boat is a heavy bugger lol and is 5.5 m  so is painful ... also I saw the comment about making it a drive on trailer ? How would I go about that ? That would make life a lot easier !!!

Jay. I would need to have a look at your trailer in detail to tell you what would be needed to turn it into a drive on/off trailer, probably not a lot by the looks of it, the main thing is your ability and confidence in driving the thing on, for some people it's a frightening experience till they do it a couple of times and then they say Why didn't I do this ages ago.

Send a series of photos mainly of the back of the trailer to fastrailers@optusnet.com.au and I will see what need to happen next.

Cheers Frank

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it saves much time driving on compared to winching and there is a bit more risk of damage to the hull or the propeller. But a big reason for me is that you don't have to dunk so much of the trailer. This makes a huge difference to longevity and maintenance. Very little of my trailer gets dunked in the water and I don't dunk the axles or bearings either (it's a 5.4m glass boat with a single axle trailer).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 10:1 5:1 1:1 that looks very similar to the jarrett on my trailer - for use with my very heavy 6.3m haines hunter. Not sure what brand but it has worked fine since 2001.  I have two handles, one the original size, and the other I have extended the length so its about 2x original - this has halved the turn effort on the steep ramps.

Just this week I have actually ordered a winch that is 15:1 5:1 1:1.   My plan is to use an 18V Ryobi cordless drill with a 7/8 hex head as the winding mech.  I have tried the 18V Ryobi on the existing 10:1 winch and it just lacks the torque to finish the final 1/3 of the boat loading.  Hoping the 15:1 will fix that.

Cheers Zoran

I have a 5.6m quinnie and happy with my 3 speed Jarret.  Can get it up halfway quickly with 1to1 gear then use lower gear to finish.  I am learning to drive on now I have fitted a boat catch but it is a bit daunting to start with.

I suggest you go to a busy ramp likè Botany and watch how others do it as well as checking out how their trailers are set up.

Regardless of how you do it its important to have your rollers well greased and rolling well.  Better still is to replace roller axles with homemade stainless ones like I  have.   Ron 

• 4 months later...
On 10/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, zmk1962 said:

I have a 10:1 5:1 1:1 that looks very similar to the jarrett on my trailer - for use with my very heavy 6.3m haines hunter. Not sure what brand but it has worked fine since 2001.  I have two handles, one the original size, and the other I have extended the length so its about 2x original - this has halved the turn effort on the steep ramps.

Just this week I have actually ordered a winch that is 15:1 5:1 1:1.   My plan is to use an 18V Ryobi cordless drill with a 7/8 hex head as the winding mech.  I have tried the 18V Ryobi on the existing 10:1 winch and it just lacks the torque to finish the final 1/3 of the boat loading.  Hoping the 15:1 will fix that.

Cheers Zoran

I finally had a chance to install the new 15:1 winch and try it with the Ryobi 18V drill on the last outing from Roseville - so I thought I'd update this post. Happy to report that it worked !

I set the Ryobi drill in low gear with the highest torque setting,  and attached to the 15:1 cog using a 22mm socket. The ratchet on the winch was loud but the drill winched up the boat the full length of the trailer.  Start to finish. 

Below is a picture of the winch I installed, but I replaced the strap with dyneema 7T rope as I have found the rope to be much less hassle (no twist etc). The drill is my oldest Ryobi - actually the bearings are pretty shot - so it's disposable, it now permanently lives in my boat trailer bits carry bin along with all the other winch handles, shackles, locks etc. I just have to remember to pack the battery each trip.

image.png.65c13e601daa907cee1e3bebb3d15bb2.png

So for those that are contemplating fitting an electric winch this could be an option.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2