Jewfish Point, Georges River

SaltyGreek

32 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

As it seems to be numbered “82B”, it looks like it’s a subdivided block, so private property. Only way to be sure would be to check with Council.

It’s numbered 82R so I don’t know if that’s a reserve part of the house or if it’s a subdivided block as you said. I might go past later on and see what it is.  Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1

Nice find! This spot isn't too far from me, although Google street view makes it look like the entrance is a bit overgrown with bushes!

According to Navionics, there is a deep hole (7m) on the south-western edge of Jewfish Point, unfortunately not accessible from the reserve. The section adjacent to this reserve appears to be quite gently sloping and shallow. From the satellite map, it looks like it might be a good place to try for some flathead?

1 hour ago, JamoDamo said:

The entrance to lime kiln bay has lots of current so maybe it might hold some jewies, you can do that by fishing off one of the rocks that dot the shoreline.

Mate if the entrance to lime kiln bay holds Jewies that would be more than perfect for me as it is very close to my house. 

Thanks for the reply!

34 minutes ago, jimbu1 said:

Nice find! This spot isn't too far from me, although Google street view makes it look like the entrance is a bit overgrown with bushes!

According to Navionics, there is a deep hole (7m) on the south-western edge of Jewfish Point, unfortunately not accessible from the reserve. The section adjacent to this reserve appears to be quite gently sloping and shallow. From the satellite map, it looks like it might be a good place to try for some flathead?

Yeah I’ve seen the hole on navionics which is unfortunately out of reach from the reserve like you said however I’m hoping during the slack ride the jewies will come out of the hole and onto the flats.

Thanks for the reply! 

7 minutes ago, jimg1au said:

used to catch blackfish there as a kid run out tide brother used to catch jewies from oatley point

I’ve heard of people catching Jew from Oatley point but I’ve never seen one caught from there. Still keen to try it though

Thanks for the reply!

8 hours ago, Pafisho08 said:

HI

Jewfish  point is also a good spot for Blackfish on a run out tide which runs hard there.

Bob

What depth do I set the float at? How deep is it on average and how far do I have to cast out? I just started an I am keen to get into it. Also btw SaltyGreek you can use the blackies heads as jewie bait apparently they are really good. Bob can I maybe pm you so I can get some info on the spot there thanks!

10 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

What depth do I set the float at? How deep is it on average and how far do I have to cast out? I just started an I am keen to get into it. Also btw SaltyGreek you can use the blackies heads as jewie bait apparently they are really good. Bob can I maybe pm you so I can get some info on the spot there thanks!

Jamo, you can always 'plumb' the depth.

Add an extra sinker eg barrel to your line using an o ring.

This will cause your float to sink completely and show you the depth, then move your float up a 2-3 feet and it's a good depth to start.

Remember to try different depths as well.

cheers, stu.

Will you be fishing by boat or landbased at jewfish point?

The deeper hole your referring to is more west or upstream of this 82r youre mentioning.  Looking at your map id say 78 to 72.  Ive picked up whiting, bream and flathead next to 82r.....its shallower there say 4m max at high tide.  From 82r to towards como bridge it would be 4m max on that side of the river on high tide.  It is a good area to drift in a boat with both bait and plastics though.

The hole you refer to and that I mentioned at jewfish point is considerably snaggy with a scattered rocky bottom.

Ive picked up mulloway on both bait and plastics, but more so on the opposite side of the river.  Boat traffic kills this spot during the day and in the warmer months.

The pylon at como bridge on the northern side is a little deeper than 4m deeper though.....say 50 to 100m on the east/west side 4-10m.  But if you're in a boat, take care not to anchor in the navigation channel(north side pylon to 3rd pylon from north side).  Maritime will move you on if you anchor in the channel during the busier months.  If you anchor to close to the northern side headland though, all you'll get is snags if you're fishing the bottom bith east and west side of the nirth pylon. It takes some trial and error to get the right spot in relation to how the current moves through that area and where you're lines are in the water.

There are better landbased spots to fish the georges than jewfish point and it does take a lot of time and patience to figure out where the better positions are. 

Remember patience during the upcoming months as you'll begin to see more and more wankers that have caught 3m flatties hahaha.

Having said that, if you havnt got a line in the water, you won't catch anything.

Hope some of this helps

Oh yeah, oatley point......id love to see a landbased fisho lift a legal mulloway up the rockface without some sort of roped gaff.

Not saying you cant catch them there or cant lift one up landbased, but you would be wearing you're balls as earings lifting the whole way up that 5-8m rockface with a rod hahaha.

Again, there are better spots both landbased and boat based for mulloway and for basic table species. 

Being overfished for decades and people generally having no respect for legal limits, the Georges is tough when you're starting.  You just have to put in the time and effort and you'll find the more productive areas both land and boat based.

Once you learn it, you'll get fish every time though man......and by that time you won't be revealing your better spots to those who fish 6 times a year.

12 hours ago, mii11x said:

Will you be fishing by boat or landbased at jewfish point?

The deeper hole your referring to is more west or upstream of this 82r youre mentioning.  Looking at your map id say 78 to 72.  Ive picked up whiting, bream and flathead next to 82r.....its shallower there say 4m max at high tide.  From 82r to towards como bridge it would be 4m max on that side of the river on high tide.  It is a good area to drift in a boat with both bait and plastics though.

The hole you refer to and that I mentioned at jewfish point is considerably snaggy with a scattered rocky bottom.

Ive picked up mulloway on both bait and plastics, but more so on the opposite side of the river.  Boat traffic kills this spot during the day and in the warmer months.

The pylon at como bridge on the northern side is a little deeper than 4m deeper though.....say 50 to 100m on the east/west side 4-10m.  But if you're in a boat, take care not to anchor in the navigation channel(north side pylon to 3rd pylon from north side).  Maritime will move you on if you anchor in the channel during the busier months.  If you anchor to close to the northern side headland though, all you'll get is snags if you're fishing the bottom bith east and west side of the nirth pylon. It takes some trial and error to get the right spot in relation to how the current moves through that area and where you're lines are in the water.

There are better landbased spots to fish the georges than jewfish point and it does take a lot of time and patience to figure out where the better positions are. 

Remember patience during the upcoming months as you'll begin to see more and more wankers that have caught 3m flatties hahaha.

Having said that, if you havnt got a line in the water, you won't catch anything.

Hope some of this helps

I will be fishing jewfish point landbased. I wouldn’t mind if I can’t catch Jew from the point as I also love fishing for whiting bream and flathead. Would it be possible to try and fish livebait for bigger flathead here? I wouldn’t mind doing that as an alternative to Jew.

Also btw I’m 15 and I get around to my spots on a bike so spots between Lugarno and Oatley bay on the Northern side of the river is where I fish. I also have a boat but my family has been super busy over the last months so I have been having to go out on my bike and fish. I’m hoping as the season gets closer my family will have more time to go out and fish Botany Bay and Georges river for the table species and Jew and kingfish. Jewfish.

Mate how old do you have to be to get your boat license?  Or could mum or dad tow it to the water for you?

So in front of and east of lugarno seafood I've picked up loads of flatties and bream drifting around with lures.  So that would be worth a shot.  I have drifted along the northern side, casting towards the banks, at times a little snaggy, but structure holds fish yeah.  Also drifting between the moored boats has produced most table species for me.

Lime Kiln Head I've never actually tried, most weekends there are a lot of skiers, boats towing tubes etc playing in Jewfish Bay, so I stay clear.  I've caught flatties, jews, bream, tailor, trevally, whiting closer to the main marked channel, so there is always a chance fishing near the baths in Jewfish Bay or on the Kiln Head to catch fish.  Again, I've never ventured in close there so I can't comment about the depths.  As a guess, on a higher tide, I'd say no more than 5m for the whole general area of Jewfish Bay.  That is plenty of water though.  Some of my best mulloway from the system have been from depths no greater than 4m.......like I said previously, you just have to spend time learning the system and the places you fish.  

As nerdy as this seems, a fishing diary helps......especially for mulloway.  I can't stress this enough.  Even for general table species, it gives you a record of fish movements and where they will be from year to year.  At minimum, photos......the dates and times will be recorded in photo details.  

I refer to lures a lot in my comments.........have you tried soft plastics or small hard body lures?  It might be easier for you since you're travelling on a pushy.  You can also cover a lot of ground casting them around, walking along the banks.  Just an idea, and I'm not trying to say don't use bait either.  If bait is what you prefer, go get em.  

Have you tried making a paddy trap?  A 2L milk container and some bread works just fine.  When you catch them, throw a cirlce hook on them a cast them out......great way to catch flatties or even bream and mulloway.  Sink them to the bottom or attach a float and let them swim, they both produces results.  Make sure your drag is set accordingly or else you might see your rod disappear.

The wharf and accessible spots near the wharf in Oatley bay are also worth a shot.  Plenty of bait at times, so things that eat bait might not be too far away.  Although it's not too deep where you'll be setup, it does hold fish.

Now the western headland of Oatley Bay.........it's a decent drop, so take care first and foremost.  Losing a rod/reel or fish is better than falling and smashing your head on the way down or falling and drowning.  It's deeper as you look south, but there is a drop off between the channel markers when you are looking east.  Heading back to the ramp from the channel marker is more or less 3-4m the entire length.  Plenty of fish have shown on my sounder in the shallows, drop off or the deeper section, but I have never fished there as I am generally leaving the ramp to fish elsewhere.....seen plenty of people fishing there though off that ledge.

Good luck with it all mate, as the saying goes......"gotta be in it, to win it" or "Even a bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work" or in your case school.  There are still good fish in the system,  you just have to put in the effort and time to learn a spot, don't give up on one spot too quickly, it might be better on a different tide, part of the tide, or time of year. You'll find your spot with time and effort man, and when you do, it will be your secret. Trust me on that one.

Edited by mii11x
  • Like 1

Hey SaltyGreek, here are some tips for your next outing around the general area and more so Oatley bay.

For me the little floating wharf at Oatley bay has been producing for me some little fish. I use prawn (gun bait right now) and pillies later in the summer. If your using woolworths prawns use smallish pieces of it and put it on the hook like you would a cube of pilly. Then just simply cast out 10-15 metres and you should something if you are lucky. For me I think that the tide plays a huge role here in bringing fish in. You can also thread it on with the much smaller tweed bait prawns (preferably peeled) use a baitholder,cirlce,kirby,long shank hook to get into some fish.

When my parents have been able to take me ( I am 15 also) I have sometimes been lucky enough to go on the incoming tide about a quarter to half way in. This brings the flatties in and I lost one right at the wharf approx 45cm, you can also get Talior, Bream and all the other bread and butter species. Burley might help but because of the current it might push fish to or from you which makes it a double edged sword.

There is some cabbage weed for blackfish at the waterline of the wharf there as it get constantly flushed with wake from the boats moving around the main channel. I guess if there is bait for the blackfish there there has to be some with the shark nets ie structure and a wharf and some rocks to hide in and food.

I have a good spot for massive muddies near my house if you want to come along some time bring your crab pots as I only have a lift net.... There are massive bully mullet in there all the time 50cm plus and some poddy mullet too might start making some bait traps so if you are looking for live bait thats the place or mullet strips. Pm me if you need the info or I can pm you.  If you need anymore help I will give you more tips.

I am self taught and have no one in my family who likes fishing so I do some research about my local area (free periods or bludging) which is also a lot of trial and error whilst testing new methods. As I have said in other posts you want to roll you bait back to you so the bait is moving, sometimes when the fish are on the bite or hungry there will just engulf your bait. I just roll it back to me every so often to get the fish interested ie using movement to attract them the same way you would a lure (need to invest in some as I have none). This should get you a few if you aren't getting much or maybe its just there is nothing around. 

When setting your rod on the wharf put it in the little notch where the main pylon sits and you push the butt of your rod ( It has to be long) and it will sit straight up allowing you to register bites. Oatley bay seems to be dependent on the no run no fun motto/rule and if the tide is running you might hopefully get something. If you walk along the bush walk along around the headland at Oatley park is gives you an idea of the run and you will see some of the little sandstone rocks that dot the shore. I thought it might hold a few jewies in your case or flathead and other ambush predators etc with all the current. Look for slack water where it becomes sort of still and this might indicate a hole or deeper water where the fish can hold up in the current waiting for something to come past ( your bait). Hope this helps and if you want to fish sometime if I can I would be happy to have a fish. Good luck mate.

JamoDamo

Edited by JamoDamo

9 hours ago, mii11x said:

Mate how old do you have to be to get your boat license?  Or could mum or dad tow it to the water for you?

So in front of and east of lugarno seafood I've picked up loads of flatties and bream drifting around with lures.  So that would be worth a shot.  I have drifted along the northern side, casting towards the banks, at times a little snaggy, but structure holds fish yeah.  Also drifting between the moored boats has produced most table species for me.

Lime Kiln Head I've never actually tried, most weekends there are a lot of skiers, boats towing tubes etc playing in Jewfish Bay, so I stay clear.  I've caught flatties, jews, bream, tailor, trevally, whiting closer to the main marked channel, so there is always a chance fishing near the baths in Jewfish Bay or on the Kiln Head to catch fish.  Again, I've never ventured in close there so I can't comment about the depths.  As a guess, on a higher tide, I'd say no more than 5m for the whole general area of Jewfish Bay.  That is plenty of water though.  Some of my best mulloway from the system have been from depths no greater than 4m.......like I said previously, you just have to spend time learning the system and the places you fish.  

As nerdy as this seems, a fishing diary helps......especially for mulloway.  I can't stress this enough.  Even for general table species, it gives you a record of fish movements and where they will be from year to year.  At minimum, photos......the dates and times will be recorded in photo details.  

I refer to lures a lot in my comments.........have you tried soft plastics or small hard body lures?  It might be easier for you since you're travelling on a pushy.  You can also cover a lot of ground casting them around, walking along the banks.  Just an idea, and I'm not trying to say don't use bait either.  If bait is what you prefer, go get em.  

Have you tried making a paddy trap?  A 2L milk container and some bread works just fine.  When you catch them, throw a cirlce hook on them a cast them out......great way to catch flatties or even bream and mulloway.  Sink them to the bottom or attach a float and let them swim, they both produces results.  Make sure your drag is set accordingly or else you might see your rod disappear.

The wharf and accessible spots near the wharf in Oatley bay are also worth a shot.  Plenty of bait at times, so things that eat bait might not be too far away.  Although it's not too deep where you'll be setup, it does hold fish.

Now the western headland of Oatley Bay.........it's a decent drop, so take care first and foremost.  Losing a rod/reel or fish is better than falling and smashing your head on the way down or falling and drowning.  It's deeper as you look south, but there is a drop off between the channel markers when you are looking east.  Heading back to the ramp from the channel marker is more or less 3-4m the entire length.  Plenty of fish have shown on my sounder in the shallows, drop off or the deeper section, but I have never fished there as I am generally leaving the ramp to fish elsewhere.....seen plenty of people fishing there though off that ledge.

Good luck with it all mate, as the saying goes......"gotta be in it, to win it" or "Even a bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work" or in your case school.  There are still good fish in the system,  you just have to put in the effort and time to learn a spot, don't give up on one spot too quickly, it might be better on a different tide, part of the tide, or time of year. You'll find your spot with time and effort man, and when you do, it will be your secret. Trust me on that one.

In fact I just got my boat license yesterday from Kiama. However I still need a person with a full license in the boat. I have plenty of books at home but I’ve heard it’s good to have a fishing diary to get down everything about how,where,when,what tide, moon phase etc. It’s key to cracking a code. I have also made many poddy mullet traps and just yesterday I caught a bunch of mullet for bait back in Sydney. Yes I have soft plastics and I usually flick them around while waiting for my bait to get hit. As always a bad day fishing is better than s good day at school! 

7 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Hey SaltyGreek, here are some tips for your next outing around the general area and more so Oatley bay.

For me the little floating wharf at Oatley bay has been producing for me some little fish. I use prawn (gun bait right now) and pillies later in the summer. If your using woolworths prawns use smallish pieces of it and put it on the hook like you would a cube of pilly. Then just simply cast out 10-15 metres and you should something if you are lucky. For me I think that the tide plays a huge role here in bringing fish in. You can also thread it on with the much smaller tweed bait prawns (preferably peeled) use a baitholder,cirlce,kirby,long shank hook to get into some fish.

When my parents have been able to take me ( I am 15 also) I have sometimes been lucky enough to go on the incoming tide about a quarter to half way in. This brings the flatties in and I lost one right at the wharf approx 45cm, you can also get Talior, Bream and all the other bread and butter species. Burley might help but because of the current it might push fish to or from you which makes it a double edged sword.

There is some cabbage weed for blackfish at the waterline of the wharf there as it get constantly flushed with wake from the boats moving around the main channel. I guess if there is bait for the blackfish there there has to be some with the shark nets ie structure and a wharf and some rocks to hide in and food.

I have a good spot for massive muddies near my house if you want to come along some time bring your crab pots as I only have a lift net.... There are massive bully mullet in there all the time 50cm plus and some poddy mullet too might start making some bait traps so if you are looking for live bait thats the place or mullet strips. Pm me if you need the info or I can pm you.  If you need anymore help I will give you more tips.

I am self taught and have no one in my family who likes fishing so I do some research about my local area (free periods or bludging) which is also a lot of trial and error whilst testing new methods. As I have said in other posts you want to roll you bait back to you so the bait is moving, sometimes when the fish are on the bite or hungry there will just engulf your bait. I just roll it back to me every so often to get the fish interested ie using movement to attract them the same way you would a lure (need to invest in some as I have none). This should get you a few if you aren't getting much or maybe its just there is nothing around. 

When setting your rod on the wharf put it in the little notch where the main pylon sits and you push the butt of your rod ( It has to be long) and it will sit straight up allowing you to register bites. Oatley bay seems to be dependent on the no run no fun motto/rule and if the tide is running you might hopefully get something. If you walk along the bush walk along around the headland at Oatley park is gives you an idea of the run and you will see some of the little sandstone rocks that dot the shore. I thought it might hold a few jewies in your case or flathead and other ambush predators etc with all the current. Look for slack water where it becomes sort of still and this might indicate a hole or deeper water where the fish can hold up in the current waiting for something to come past ( your bait). Hope this helps and if you want to fish sometime if I can I would be happy to have a fish. Good luck mate.

JamoDamo

I used to fish Oatley bay a lot. I used to catch tailor, flathead, bream and whiting there but since it’s got refurbished a couple years ago i haven’t been catching much there. Whenever I go early in the morning to launch the boat I always see heaps of mullet jumping around and big ones too. Pm if you every want to head out for a fish as I’m always looking for someone to head out with that has good knowledge of fishing.