Two trips with the grandsons

hookerbruce

School holidays are here so it’s fishing time.

Plan was two trips one reef, one flatie plus try to find a pelagic or two. Tuesday after packing the boat and stocking up on food finally left Grays Point ramp at 10am. Headed outside and spent 40 min trolling and exploring around the Jibbon Bommie found nothing of interest so headed out to chase blue spots. First drift produced 3 keepers for Kobi who was then full of advice for his brother who had  caught a dozen throwbacks no keepers. Next drift was a couple each, third drift Tyler came thru with a strong finish the only 4 keepers and a good jacket.

Sea sickness started to show itself so trolled back around the bommie and into the river as the tide dropped we pumped some nippers and fished the flats and deep water found bream around legal size in most areas only kept a couple. Back at the ramp 4:30 crew straight away continued fishing.

Wednesday after pancakes and the works for breakfast left the ramp at 9 am and headed for the Merries reef area. On the way saw a bit of surface action got the boys to put the lures out while I drove. After a few minutes got hookup on first lure waited a few secs for the double hookup.

After a few unders and overs of lines the fish went opposite directions one up high for the beach one down deep for the open sea. With a lot of winding and comments both fish were eventually landed both PBS. 655 mm and 673mm luckily one each.

Fish had dispersed so headed over and anchored in 20 m on edge of reef. No spectacular fish but the boys had a good time catching colourful reef fish keeping a few. Headed back into the river by 12:00 before seasickness arrived, picked up my wife and granddaughter for lunch and more fishing. Back at the ramp by 4 pm.

The boys are just at an age where they are good company on the boat and can bait own lines, unhook most fish and even set and pull up the anchor in the river. I’ll just have to force myself to take them fishing lots, it’s not an excuse for me going fishing.

20191001_180358.jpg

20191002_172050.jpg

Edited by hookerbruce
add photos
  • Like 7

Thanks for comments 

Luckily I only kept a few of the fish the rest all went home with the kids so they could show mum and dad. My son ended up with filleting job and I’m sure his in laws would have ended up with a meal or two.

Yes it was a solid jacket, boys tell me it’s a length record for a sub junior so dad has another job to put in a record claim form.

8 hours ago, leonardgid said:

very good catch ,

love to know what sort of fish  is between the sweep and trevally , nothing to do with size  by the way . 

I don’t know what it is, was virtually dead when it came on board, couldn’t be revived in the live bait tank so it was just the right size for little Evie for tea.

Not the little sister but the little sisters new baby borne doll. Someone had to ask.