Pending World, Australian, NSW record PHGFC

mrsswordfisherman

BREAKING NEWS - PHGFC VESSEL “THE UNDERTAkER” has weighed a Tiger Shark for Small Fry Angler JAYDEN MILLAURO on 15kg that weighed 314kg.  This fish is a Pending WORLD RECORD, AUSTRALIAN RECORD & NSW RECORD Capture beating the current WR by 2kg that has been held since 1997. Great effort to Capt. Ibby Dardas and crew and Jayden. More to come!!!!

Courtesy of Port Hacking Game Fishing Club

https://www.facebook.com/808634405880095/posts/2501872966556222?sfns=mo

D856E8CC-4528-4CA1-A35C-0B26BAC37F39.jpeg

• Like 3

Get a little perspective , if you compare the occasional big fish being hung for a record as to the vast tonnage of sharks,marlin and tuna vacummed from the sea by the worlds fishing fleets you are pointing your finger in the wrong direction. If its not your thing then fine, but it is someone elses- and its legal. A lot of important info can be taken from large fish and usually is.

6 hours ago, harold said:

wonder what they do with a shark of that size when they have finished weighing and photography? You could hardly put it in the freezer at home.

Science lab, my sister who works at nsw fisheries says her colleagues use great white carcasses from nets and boats to study their stomachs, age, weight, etc.

• Like 2

Hey Paddy I agree there's no comparison between the impact a single record fish has with the damage the commercial fishing fleet does. As you say we each need to feel comfortable with our "thing". But just like some are allowed to express pleasure from the record trophy other's are also allowed to express sadness for the demise of a great creature. 

Personally, the never-ending "scientific study justification" of whaling by one of our northern neighbours has killed that reasoning for me. 

I only take what I plan to consume. Names and numbers on the board (without the consumption factor) don't excite me. But each to his own.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, James Clain said:

Science lab, my sister who works at nsw fisheries says her colleagues use great white carcasses from nets and boats to study their stomachs, age, weight, etc.

That’s good. 😎 I can remember years ago at a certain comp down the south coast, someone dumped a shark carcass in the estuary. That did not go over well and now they must be dumped at sea.  Not many sharks are killed these days but a few do die during the fight, you know. But it would be hard to weigh a potential world record shark alive and release it, don’t you think? Shark fishing doesn’t particularly interest me but it is legal, so each to their own.

Edited by Berleyguts

you 

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Get a little perspective , if you compare the occasional big fish being hung for a record as to the vast tonnage of sharks,marlin and tuna vacummed from the sea by the worlds fishing fleets you are pointing your finger in the wrong direction. If its not your thing then fine, but it is someone elses- and its legal. A lot of important info can be taken from large fish and usually is.

you need a little perspective

47 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

That’s good. 😎 I can remember years ago at a certain comp down the south coast, someone dumped a shark carcass in the estuary. That did not go over well and now they must be dumped at sea.  Not many sharks are killed these days but a few do die during the fight, you know. But it would be hard to weigh a potential world record shark alive and release it, don’t you think? Shark fishing doesn’t particularly interest me but it is legal, so each to their own.

Yea, maybe someone should invent a scale that resembles the tarp pontoons the researches lay great white on while they tag them and do other tests. If you not sure what Im talking about have a look at those original animal planet Great-white docos that are probably about 10 plus years old now.  

13 minutes ago, James Clain said:

Yea, maybe someone should invent a scale that resembles the tarp pontoons the researches lay great white on while they tag them and do other tests. If you not sure what Im talking about have a look at those original animal planet Great-white docos that are probably about 10 plus years old now.  

Yeah, if they make it practical and affordable to carry on an amateur boat, I’m sure a lot of fishermen would take up the option. Remember, most marlin are tagged and released these days. International game fishing rules may need to be changed, of course, to allow weighing on water and not on land. 😉

Just remember, guys... refer to the site rules... this was a perfectly legal capture... 

• Thanks 1