Topwater bream lures

THEJET

I know there is lots of posts about this topic, but just wondering about topwater bream lures

Four from a shop, (looking at walk the dog lures),(i have a free a shop 10 dollar voucher and wanting to spend it on topwater)

Bassday Sugapen 

Lucky Craft Sammy

Megabass Dog X

Savage Top Prey

Should i get the top prey (kind of minded to) or just go for the good quality/more expensive ones

(what colors are favourites)

And when does topwater really turn on for bream and whiting

Glad of any help

Cheers

Edited by THEJET

Of the 4 lures you mention, 2 of them always have a place in my tackle box. First is the Bassday Sugarpen, this is really my goto on the flats. It casts OK, has a nice slim profile which I believe helps in hookups, is relatively easy to "walk" and has a really nice action. The second is the Luckycraft Sammy, a bit heavier than the Sugarpen it casts like a bullet, easy to "walk" and has a more agressive action than the Sugarpen, making it a better choice when there's a bit more wind on the flats.

As mentioned both these lures work well when there's a bit of wind blowing. When its calm, its hard to beat a pink grub where I generally fish. Google pink grubbing and you'll see what I'm talking about. I rig mine a little different to most, threading the leader through the lure with a needle and tying it to a double hook ( see the pic). The hooks ride facing down, helping the lure track straight. This rig turns tail biters into hookups but if there's a lot of loose ribbon weed floating around it tends to foul easily, but careful casting can overcome that.914606660_20140924-PinkGrub.jpg.051d73d11e78ebca40d42f747745cdc9.jpg

While personally I prefer to stick with the big brand lures, there's plenty of cheapies that get the job done. The Gladiator Kozami is a standout and a good substitute for the Sammy. Don't overlook small poppers to, there's plenty of cheapies out there and they work best when the wind is strong enough to produce white caps on the flats.

I do all my surface luring on the open, estuary flats and the best time for that is when the prawns are around, so the warmer months and concentrating around the edges of the weed beds. Also, consider replacing your rear treble with small, assist hooks. They will improve your hookup rate, especially on whiting.

Generally whiting and bream prefer a different lure retrieve. Whiting like a pretty quick retrieve with no pauses and bream like a slow walk with plenty of long pauses thrown in. Get onto uTube to see more about this.

• Like 2