Trip up north

DaveTheBoy

It has been quite a while since my last post - mainly because we’ve been traveling through this beautiful & special country we call home. Out trip took us from Broome up the Dampier Peninsula, to the Gibb River Rd through the Kimberley, up through Kakadu and Litchfield and on to Darwin.  We saw so many wonderful places, people and things, and whilst it wasn’t a “fishing trip” as such, there was great fishing to be had along the way. Most of the beaches held queenfish which were hungry for white plastics if we had the luck of the tides.  I had a 10ft rod and fairly simple rig 15lb braid to a 25lb Fluro leader casting lures from the shore, and also managed to get out on a few boat trips along the way. Here are a few highlights hope you enjoy seeing them - back in Newcastle now and and am keen to see what the beaches and rocks have in store as the weather warm up.

9CE6E3DF-CDA5-4407-828D-125D08487A48.jpeg

A8BC35FD-6536-47EB-BAFE-1F4CBF5E6B03.jpeg

D8B5883A-4084-4002-A23C-B207F63FF711.jpeg

8F50EE88-C6E3-4674-8554-6CAA537D666B.jpeg

8CD50993-2026-4011-9A2C-C24EA40404D4.jpeg

6A133C4D-062A-4BEE-BDF3-C10CDDF0BA28.jpeg

F0377989-5BFC-4C34-ACF3-5AAFDD21EE55.jpeg

• Like 1

Ahhhh @DaveTheBoy we just finished a lap.

The fishing was a bit of a disappointment for us. The land is so dry and it was sad to see the dry river beds everywhere. We did a few charters one from Kakadu, Broome, Kalbarri and Exmouth were fruitful. Landbased was very hard. At 80 mile beach WA there were blokes there for several months that had only caught 1 fish off the beach!

GRR was a bit dry on it too. We did a few water crossings but gorges did not hold much water. Litchfield was good Buley Rockhole and swam in Wangi Falls.

Australia is a wonderful and hugeeeeee place. So glad we had the opportunity to see some of it.

Your fish captures look fabbo. Great to fill the freezer with fresh fish for meals isn't it. 

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Ahhhh @DaveTheBoy we just finished a lap.

The fishing was a bit of a disappointment for us. The land is so dry and it was sad to see the dry river beds everywhere. We did a few charters one from Kakadu, Broome, Kalbarri and Exmouth were fruitful. Landbased was very hard. At 80 mile beach WA there were blokes there for several months that had only caught 1 fish off the beach!

GRR was a bit dry on it too. We did a few water crossings but gorges did not hold much water. Litchfield was good Buley Rockhole and swam in Wangi Falls.

Australia is a wonderful and hugeeeeee place. So glad we had the opportunity to see some of it.

Your fish captures look fabbo. Great to fill the freezer with fresh fish for meals isn't it. 

Cheers Donna @mrsswordfisherman - it was dry indeed, we maybe had 5 proper river crossings the whole time, most beds were dry as you say. It is always so tough keeping the expectations low, as you want to fish all of these magical places you’ve read about

when traveling, but being realistic and understanding that when staying 1 or 2 nights in a new location - luck plays a much bigger hand than you’d usually like! What I’ve posted is obviously a highlights reel, there were many fishless hours also  - though it’s hard to complain in such beautiful locations. Anyhow, I’m about to head out for a beach session this evening so we’ll see what’s happening on the home front! Dave x 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, DaveTheBoy said:

It has been quite a while since my last post - mainly because we’ve been traveling through this beautiful & special country we call home. Out trip took us from Broome up the Dampier Peninsula, to the Gibb River Rd through the Kimberley, up through Kakadu and Litchfield and on to Darwin.  We saw so many wonderful places, people and things, and whilst it wasn’t a “fishing trip” as such, there was great fishing to be had along the way. Most of the beaches held queenfish which were hungry for white plastics if we had the luck of the tides.  I had a 10ft rod and fairly simple rig 15lb braid to a 25lb Fluro leader casting lures from the shore, and also managed to get out on a few boat trips along the way. Here are a few highlights hope you enjoy seeing them - back in Newcastle now and and am keen to see what the beaches and rocks have in store as the weather warm up.

9CE6E3DF-CDA5-4407-828D-125D08487A48.jpeg

A8BC35FD-6536-47EB-BAFE-1F4CBF5E6B03.jpeg

D8B5883A-4084-4002-A23C-B207F63FF711.jpeg

8F50EE88-C6E3-4674-8554-6CAA537D666B.jpeg

8CD50993-2026-4011-9A2C-C24EA40404D4.jpeg

6A133C4D-062A-4BEE-BDF3-C10CDDF0BA28.jpeg

F0377989-5BFC-4C34-ACF3-5AAFDD21EE55.jpeg

Nice Queenies mate. When in Qld I loved catching those crazy things. Never got one as big as that goodie your holding up though. Wish I was back there now. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Here are some of my pics of the dry river beds and just how drought stricken it is out there. Sorry to hijack the fishing report. Hope you got some fish today Dave7817D715-6D7A-4654-A9E3-D02AF5505D77.jpeg

Hijacking the thread ay Donna?

I recognise a few of your photos. Australia is such a great place to tour. My wife and I have visited many places, some we will return to, and others we have yet to see.

I spent hours fishing (though not as many as I wanted to -  I swear too much so I am told) but still managed some fish last year up through W.A. and into N.T.

I have caught a Queenie, but about 25cm long. :074:My one and only.

A red emperor and a barra were the highlights last year.

People need to visit the drought and fire savaged areas to spend some dollars and help the locals with sales of their products/food/cafes.

Dave.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Yowie yes I did hijack the thread and the pics were to highlight the drought we have going on in Australia. @DaveTheBoy sorry msg me if you want my post removed. 

Maybe a new thread on the issues out there in The Bar :)

Don't remove your post Donna. City folk need to see what it is currently like in the desert and on the farms.

For those that are not travelling out there, your photos give them a good idea. Post some more if you have any. Even though the N.T. is dry for a fair bit of the year, it survives differently to the dry areas of other states.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1