How To Fit Transom Bait Board?

Berleyguts

I’ve tried a search but can’t find the threads on this topic, so please forgive me, I am posting again!

I would like to fit a rear bait board with rod holders over my outboard on my Stacer 449 side console (alloy). There are no rod holders at the transom to drop in a standard store bought board and the transom is not thick enough to fit holders. Any ideas? I’m thinking I might have to get someone to weld on some holders but there would be quite a spread due to the gap around the motor. A couple of pics attached (motor is tilted up)..  I’d appreciate any pointers!

906105E6-D8DC-43AF-BB49-7E2948F1C0C3.jpeg

E1601073-24D9-4A38-86FB-C262114BF11B.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

Shame you are so far away . I could fabricate a you/ beaut cutting board with rod holders bait draw etc.

See a local fabricator and they should be able to make something suitable.

I would suggest having it bolt to the floor and IF that for some reason is not suitable make one that bolts OR welds to the angled uprights of the transom, would mean disturbing the nice paint job though.

Frank

Thinking a little more about it and I know you fish mainly solo, so why not have the bait board to one side of the boat at the rear ?, it would be much easier made and placed and probably better than to have to worry about clearing the motor etc and you could also have the board much lower which would also be better. Just a thought. Of coarse this would not help with rod holders but they are easily fitted anywhere.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Thanks Frank. Yeah, I could clamp one onto a rail, I guess. I’d just prefer it over the motor so I can just flick cubes over the stern. On the side, it may get in the way when trolling for gamefish. I just like the idea of having it over the motor out of the way. If it can’t be, it can’t be, I guess.

To achieve what you want which is ideal, you need to connect to the transom coming, you will need custom fabricated mounts bolted through. The method would allow freedom of a removable bait board and extra rod holders at the transom.  

• Like 1

Hi Baz,

It's hard for me to tell angles and dimensions from the photos, but it seems that you could fit two of these types of side mount rod holders in your motor well.... the motor well seems to be providing the stern bracing for your motor, so should be quite sturdy ....

image.png.1d2fa9b31d800830ee905bdcb0e55d95.png

I've drawn in blue circles where I think they could go:

image.png.73d663d83fe555fd0147dcbb3be1c127.png

There are quite a few off the shelf bait boards that fit into existing rod holders that have adjustable angles so they can be levelled out to suit the installation... or you could have one made up that either slides into those side mount rod holders or is bolted to the area of the well with additional bracing to the sides of the well.

Pre-manufactured and painted then bolted to the existing well with a sikaflex layer.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

this is what mine looks like-ok its a higher transom but i used a pair of straight rodholders to fit on, i dont leave it their when the boats on the trailer, i used the "backing board "that came with it and mounted that inside the boat on the fishbox/seat.

IMG_0375.JPG

@zmk1962 Thanks Zoran. Yes, I think I’ll need to fit some rod holders somehow but I want them to be strong. Might have to get something fabricated.

@PaddyT Thanks Paddy. That’s something like what I want but I don’t have a transom that I can fit flush mounted rod holders to. In addition to its use as a bait board, I want the rod holders to be able to troll a shotgun lure as well.

Baz i run a shotgun out of my holder all the time and run a flat line for kings out of the baitboard while downrigging- if you have a look at the photo the brand is on it- they will custom make you anything you want-including some sort of mounting system

• Like 1

How about keeping it simple and have 2 x seat pedestal bolted to the floor/seat  either side of the motor well, that is IF there is room to mount the pedestal mounts.

I OR a fabricator could make you something like this just a matter of space to fit them.

706487497_seatmount.thumb.jpg.461478ce8f80fdd0e1c8d2608bbbb334.jpg

Frank

Edited by frankS
added photo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, frankS said:

How about keeping it simple and have 2 x seat pedestal bolted to the floor/seat  either side of the motor well, that is IF there is room to mount the pedestal mounts.

I OR a fabricator could make you something like this just a matter of space to fit them.

706487497_seatmount.thumb.jpg.461478ce8f80fdd0e1c8d2608bbbb334.jpg

Frank

Thanks, Frank. Casting platform across the back with the live bait well on one side and my portable auxiliary tank under the other side. The lid to the live bait well is a cutting board but I like to keep it clean and want something at better height. I’m leaning towards getting something fabricated and welded to the transom. Have just been wondering if anyone else has done it.

Yes mate I have made heaps of bait boards for both glass and alloy boats, no mystery to them just a matter of having the boat close to the welder. I am just thinking of the easiest cheapest way that possibly you could do the job yourself via nuts and bolts. And when I mention floor I am of coarse talking about the rear casting platform.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

I agree with Frank.... prefab made to measure with nuts and bolt fitting eliminates a lot of additional issues associated with welding to an existing painted surface - stripping, cleaning back to bare alloy, welding (ally transfers heat really well - so may cause additional paint damage further out),  and then trying to repaint, and match the existing on both inside and outside surfaces... heading down this path is likely to drive your overall fabrication costs thru roof and you will be dealing with a fabricator and a spray painter. 

Cheers Z

PS. Baz, the anchor well side surfaces would be an ideal place to bolt flat plate bases for the bait board/rod holders. Because of the sloping angles as Frank says, its easiest done if the fabricator has the boat next to the welding equipment. However, if you are somewhat handy and take some stiff cardboard sheets (or thin MDF board) and gaffa tape, you could probably fashion a mockup of the bait board that captures the dimensions and angles that you could then take to a fabricator. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Thanks Zoran! That’s a thought... it’s pretty wide... I’ll have to measure up and see what I can do. So that area in front of the motor is an anchor well? I thought it was there to catch the slimies I cut up on the cutting board I use on the rear casting platform... they’re always sliding in there when I take off! 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 5:32 PM, frankS said:

Shame you are so far away . I could fabricate a you/ beaut cutting board with rod holders bait draw etc.

See a local fabricator and they should be able to make something suitable.

I would suggest having it bolt to the floor and IF that for some reason is not suitable make one that bolts OR welds to the angled uprights of the transom, would mean disturbing the nice paint job though.

Frank

Hey Frank, 
Whereabouts are you located? Sydney?
I'd be keen to chat about getting a baitboard fabricated, and a rear step also if that's something you can do.
Bought a 90s Stessl runabout recently that I'm fixing up :)

Aaaaalmost there.

Sorry to hijack the thread Berleyguts, hope you found a solution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, frankS said:

Baz. Any further progress on the bait board ?.

Frank

Ha Frank! Not much progress on anything lately! The idea’s just sitting on the back burner at the moment. I’ll probably find someone to fabricate something eventually. Got a lot on the boil at the moment!