Sign in to follow this  
bookwa

Crabs in the Hawkesbury

Anyone crabbing yet?  Getting my little boat ready but still got a bit to do and just wondering if I should go faster😁

The season is october to jan so should be good to go just check local rules for traps etc.

Thanks blaxland

I know the basic rules re gear and sanctuary zones but a bit unclear on territory limits. I.e was told can’t use traps above the bridges and can’t use dilly’s in coal an candle but internet searches no help confirming or otherwise. Appreciate any help

cheers

Look at the Fisheries website, don't rely on google or internet experts.

• Like 1

Stuck some witches hats out around bar point over the long weekend. 2 mediums sizes blue swimmers. Few weeks yet I reckon

Sounds like it.  I’ll hasten slowly 😁

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:59 PM, bookwa said:

I know the basic rules re gear and sanctuary zones but a bit unclear on territory limits. I.e was told can’t use traps above the bridges and can’t use dilly’s in coal an candle but internet searches no help confirming or otherwise. Appreciate any help

Here's the link to DPI https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/closures/location-closures/hawkesbury-river

Thanks sea sponge.  Just looked at that link and now  confused.  Is a witches hat classed as a net?  I.e prohibited all nets other than a landing net?

cheers

Looking at those rules I’m glad I don’t live in brisbane  waters.   Can’t do much in there!

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, bookwa said:

Thanks sea sponge.  Just looked at that link and now  confused.  Is a witches hat classed as a net?  I.e prohibited all nets other than a landing net?

cheers

Here's the link to permitted fishing methods https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

As noelm suggests, get used to finding the answers from the real source, not relying on random advice form the internet 😉

Hmmm, I couldn't answer whether a witches hat (or hoop net) is considered a net or a trap by fisheries. Might be worth giving the local fisheries a call to clarify. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:59 PM, bookwa said:

Is a witches hat classed as a net?  I.e prohibited all nets other than a landing net?

cheers

Pretty self explanatory isn't it :eyeballs: